Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

85% of L&F is filler, wbk. i def think she attempted a more mainstream sound with this album and failed majorly since the only songs i wouldn't consider filler are the ones with darker tones (save for handmade heaven). orange trees is honestly one of the worst songs i have heard in a while. 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

Emotional Machine is the only song from L+F that I still listen to, the rest is really forgettable :/ BUT the live shows to support that album were amazing! Can't wait to see her live again but with this new material :rollin:

1 minute ago, rabbit said:

Emotional Machine is the only song from L+F that I still listen to, the rest is really forgettable :/ BUT the live shows to support that album were amazing! Can't wait to see her live again but with this new material :rollin:

her show was outstanding! and definitely helped me enjoy the album much more. 

7 hours ago, FimbaCmm said:

Anyone else feel like alot of the tracks on L+F are fillers?

Like Enjoy Your Life, Orange Trees, Life Is Strange, No More Suckers.

Orange Trees is the worst song of her entire career.

1 hour ago, rabbit said:

Her live shows are always great. Totally worth the money. She always looks gorgeous too. The effort. :xcry:

13 hours ago, HEARTCORE said:

orange trees is better than to be human

yeah, orange trees just feels like it was made to be orange trees... to be human feels like it was made to be Savages part 2 and failed miserably lmfao

xMcVPI7.jpg

I feel like Orange Trees would be a lot better if the “OoO0oOooOorange” part was mixed differently? Maybe lower in the mix, or more harmonies for it, or just sung in a different register? It sounds like someone who can’t sing, but we know Marina can sing very well. 

it’s a cute song, the delivery is just off imo 

14417469274.gif

I generally agree that there is something offputting about L+F that begs to be analyzed. I mean 8 metacritic reviews down from 19 on FROOT seems pretty weird (or stupid as in "she changed her band name so let's consider her a new artist" BS).  The songs (e.g., BIL, EOTE, HH) are not that bad, even when compared with FROOT, so overall, L+F is like a B to Froot's A (imo). However, the singing does seem different, though I still love her voice. To me L+F singing seems emotionally flattened around lyrics where you might have expected higher emotional response. As it was a surprise to me that she dealt with (or came out about) depression between FROOT and L+F, maybe this was her "mood-flattenning-drugs" concept album.

One thing you can do, if you are tired of the album as presented (e.g. think most of it is filler) is to interleave tracks (i.e., make the "love" tracks, starting with HH, odd and the "fear" tracks even). For me, this spreads out the quality of the songs (I liked "fear" more), and the transitions seem to make more sense, and not in a manic/depressive roller-coaster way, but in some of the production choices (orange trees, you) and "philosophical" stances seeming to pair up (Baby, Karma; Enjoy Your Life, Emotional Machine). 

On 9/22/2020 at 12:16 AM, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

Orange Trees is the worst song of her entire career.

Um tea sis, i think Orange Trees is the best out of the songs i've listed (Enjoy Your Life, Orange Trees, Life Is Strange, No More Suckers)

1o0m8bldrh551.png

On 9/23/2020 at 5:38 AM, slang said:

However, the singing does seem different, though I still love her voice.

I noticed this as well. L+F seems to be mostly sung in a high, airy head voice and it's lacking those deep, powerful vocals she gave us on her other albums. She plays with her voice a lot less these days.

let me be who i'm meant to be

STILL waiting on INHA on streaming...

also still losing my mind over how she scrapped the only song this era everyone loved (Please Don't Call Me)

tumblr_inline_q2nkwneCwi1wb35v4_1280.png

Got a devil on my back as a tribute to my mother