Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

1 minute ago, AllForYou said:

omg yes I forgot that happened:rip: I think marina doesn't collab cause she's just a bit insecure about it, she's been very public about finding co-writing hard, it must be even more difficult to co-write with artist then wait anxiously on whether or not a load of people say their verses are better or whatever

also, imo, marina doesn't really suit collabs? they have to be like very specific, idk. I'm not a massive fan of collabs but like, you can tell when an artist is a collab artist or not and when a collab is done well. Just desserts was quite good imo, baby...wasnt the worst thing ive heard but just desserts was better

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

2 minutes ago, 132 said:

also, imo, marina doesn't really suit collabs? they have to be like very specific, idk. I'm not a massive fan of collabs but like, you can tell when an artist is a collab artist or not and when a collab is done well. Just desserts was quite good imo, baby...wasnt the worst thing ive heard but just desserts was better

just desserts was just always a bit weird for me cause it felt like it wasn't her song, then it turned out it was never meant to be her song in the first place lol

baby shouldn't have been on the album and I think it's over hated because of that, but it should have just been a solo song and made a bit slower, she really struggled to sing it live (which doesn't make her look good at all) and she even had nightmares about performing it. 'if i left the world' is forgotten by everyone but I like it, the scrapped 'remix' with marina singing a verse and some bgv on 'stay all night' by alma was a good example of a feature imo, their voices worked well together.

just desserts was just always a bit weird for me cause it felt like it wasn't her song, then it turned out it was never meant to be her song in the first place lol

baby shouldn't have been on the album and I think it's over hated because of that, but it should have just been a solo song and made a bit slower, she really struggled to sing it live (which doesn't make her look good at all) and she even had nightmares about performing it. 'if i left the world' is forgotten by everyone but I like it, the scrapped 'remix' with marina singing a verse and some bgv on 'stay all night' by alma was a good example of a feature imo, their voices worked well together.

if she wanted a 'feature' song on the album, she should've done disconnect. technically it's a feature song (i guess, it's CB & M) and that way orange trees would've been scrapped, maybe not even written (i wish that was scrapped or a standalone track because fuck me it's probably the worst song she's ever recorded) and karma wouldn't of been reworked and turned into crap. we also wouldn't of had Baby, since she would switch that out for disconnect

TLDR;

Blame clean bandit for everything 

Spoiler

before yall end me for the tldr, its a joke

6 minutes ago, 132 said:

if she wanted a 'feature' song on the album, she should've done disconnect. technically it's a feature song (i guess, it's CB & M) and that way orange trees would've been scrapped, maybe not even written (i wish that was scrapped or a standalone track because fuck me it's probably the worst song she's ever recorded) and karma wouldn't of been reworked and turned into crap. we also wouldn't of had Baby, since she would switch that out for disconnect

TLDR;

Blame clean bandit for everything 

Hide contents

before yall end me for the tldr, its a joke

I think I mentioned earlier that I thought disconnect was initially supposed to be on the album, when I talked about when her break was supposed to be (basically she performed disconnect at coachella and didn't feel right about it, I wondered if that was supposed to be her 'comeback')

I really don't know why she didn't save those swedish tracks (orange trees, believe in love, enjoy your life, true) for an album after love + fear, instead of reproducing her whole album, but she's a big fan of erik hassle so maybe she felt like it was a dream come true or something, anyway we'll never know cause she'll never tell us and it won't change what happened either way:bebe:

Just now, AllForYou said:

anyway we'll never know cause she'll never tell us and it won't change what happened either way:bebe:

her new poetry book love and fear out next week <3, her best work yet

2 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

I think I mentioned earlier that I thought disconnect was initially supposed to be on the album, when I talked about when her break was supposed to be (basically she performed disconnect at coachella and didn't feel right about it, I wondered if that was supposed to be her 'comeback')

I really don't know why she didn't save those swedish tracks (orange trees, believe in love, enjoy your life, true) for an album after love + fear, instead of reproducing her whole album, but she's a big fan of erik hassle so maybe she felt like it was a dream come true or something, anyway we'll never know cause she'll never tell us and it won't change what happened either way:bebe:

His only credit is her worst song :lmao:“orange trees” 

he must have hated her

4 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

His only credit is her worst song :lmao:“orange trees”

he must have hated her

honestly I really wonder what happened in those sessions for noonie bao & oscar holter (good ones by charli xcx) to come up with enjoy your life & true I get charli and marina are two completely different genres but:rip: feels like something weird happened

feels like something weird happened

something flop happened

I feel like the meaning behind true is cute, but it just wasn't that good in the end. same with enjoy your life, i think that if it was slowed down and more bleak, it would've been so much better, especially considering we know she wrote EYL to try and create happiness because she was so depressed

honestly I really wonder what happened in those sessions for noonie bao & oscar holter (good ones by charli xcx) to come up with enjoy your life & true I get charli and marina are two completely different genres but:rip: feels like something weird happened

I imagine Marina drives a lot of sessions tbh-no discount to charli but she even stated she didn’t really write much on good ones and it’s a pretty basic song songwriting wise besides it’s production(great track though).

I feel like Marina probably did the majority and only took pieces she liked(not necessarily the best parts).

18 hours ago, EXODUS said:

Remember this live when Marina was channeling (the mother of alternative pop) Kate Bush the entire time?

That last minute of the performance is EPIC!

Guilty is the perfect example of interesting writing skills, nice hooks and quirky production decisions. Ugh I miss that Marina so much. How come with each new album she seems more like a newcomer music-wise than during her first three albums?

I LOVE GUILTY LIVE. Her whole performance in Baden Baden at TFJ Tour was absolutely marvelous.

original.gif

12 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

I imagine Marina drives a lot of sessions tbh-no discount to charli but she even stated she didn’t really write much on good ones and it’s a pretty basic song songwriting wise besides it’s production(great track though).

I feel like Marina probably did the majority and only took pieces she liked(not necessarily the best parts).

oh yes that's true, not the best song to pick as an example lol, I feel like marina leading the session is probably why it didn't work out as 'well' I refuse to believe they all just let 'enjoy your problems' go through

imo ultimately you can have 'basic' lyrics as long as the production is really good (most pop) or you have to have really good lyrics with basic production (marina's DIY days), L+F just didn't up the production to match the more simplistic lyrics, I also think having so many producers didn't help, with EH there were 4 main producers (greg kurstin, rick knowels, liam howe and dr luke), producing the bulk of the album with 2 deluxe songs by stargate and captain cuts, and the rest of the producers being co-producers, somehow it just feels so much more cohesive.

2 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

I LOVE GUILTY LIVE. Her whole performance in Baden Baden at TFJ Tour was absolutely marvelous.

me too!! the acoustic going into the full version is so good, guilty is overhated

10 minutes ago, 132 said:

y'all forgetting the 'sit back and enjoy your problems' lyric 

coupled with 'yeah you might as well accept it':awkney2: I get she meant something along the lines of 'accept your worst days are over, and enjoy your life (instead of waiting for the worst to happen again)' but the first time I heard that line:rip: it's not a bad message at it's heart, it's just written badly

I just find it hard to believe that all those talented songwriters sat there in that session and were like 'yes this can't be misconstrued whatsoever'

40 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

I also think having so many producers didn't help, with EH there were 4 main producers (greg kurstin, rick knowels, liam howe and dr luke), producing the bulk of the album with 2 deluxe songs by stargate and captain cuts, and the rest of the producers being co-producers, somehow it just feels so much more cohesive.

THANK YOU

IVE SAID THIS EVER SINCE I FIRST HEARD LF

It lacks cohesivity, sure it has the songs are written from a place of love/fear, but that doesn't make it cohesive.

The tracks all sound like mainstream pop music, but from different albums. It feels like LF is compiled of like 3-4 different albums because of the differences in production. You have the semi-stripped tracks (TBH, HaHe, TA, STBS), the swedish tracks (OT, EYL, True, BIL, Karma [not a swedish track 'per-se' but it was reworked to sound cohesive with OT]), the mainstream tracks (You, Baby, Karma) and then the rest...like idk.

Also I put karma in both Swedish and Mainstream because it's kinda both.

But you see my point? 

5 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

coupled with 'yeah you might as well accept it':awkney2: I get she meant something along the lines of 'accept your worst days are over, and enjoy your life (instead of waiting for the worst to happen again)' but the first time I heard that line:rip: it's not a bad message at it's heart, it's just written badly

I just find it hard to believe that all those talented songwriters sat there in that session and were like 'yes this can't be misconstrued whatsoever'

oh no pls i was saying how people have said i wish the enjoy your problems t-shirt was used lyrically for eyl

1 minute ago, 132 said:

THANK YOU

IVE SAID THIS EVER SINCE I FIRST HEARD LF

It lacks cohesivity, sure it has the songs are written from a place of love/fear, but that doesn't make it cohesive.

The tracks all sound like mainstream pop music, but from different albums. It feels like LF is compiled of like 3-4 different albums because of the differences in production. You have the semi-stripped tracks (TBH, HaHe, TA, STBS), the swedish tracks (OT, EYL, True, BIL, Karma [not a swedish track 'per-se' but it was reworked to sound cohesive with OT]), the mainstream tracks (You, Baby, Karma) and then the rest...like idk.

Also I put karma in both Swedish and Mainstream because it's kinda both.

But you see my point? 

apparently, (and I don't have a source for this, it's just what I've heard), but soft to be strong's demo was actually produced by rick nowels, and later on sam de jong added extra production and was credited as the main producer with rick only getting a co-writing credit, the same thing apparently happened again with too afraid and justin parker, if true then that means there are technically 2 extra producers on top of the 9 producers already credited on the album.

again, this could be 'insiders' making things up, but we do know this is the case with superstar (sam de jong just adding some drums and speeding it up), except captain cuts actually got a production credit on that one. imo the demos of all 3 of those songs are better than the finals, apart from stbs' extra bgv. 'you' could be another victim of this, it makes no sense why jack didn't just reproduce 'you' & the production sounds a bit clean bandit-y to me

8 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

'you' could be another victim of this, it makes no sense why jack didn't just reproduce 'you' & the production sounds a bit clean bandit-y to me

im pretty sure You and Karma would've ended up being clean bandit songs if she didn't use them tbh. She spoke about giving them away and jack produced demo versions for You (and im pretty sure he worked on a demo of karma, as well as the final obviously).

Even if he didn't do a demo of karma, the instrumental of CB's song 'miss you' fits almost perfectly under Karma (just BPM match and then cut out the fourth verse, and it fits like it's the actual song, it's obviously slightly off key though), and the jack demo of you (piano demo specifically) uses the signature 'clean bandit' bass sound. idk what the actual bass is called but it's heard in Miss You too. 

here's miss you x karma i made in audacity this time last year. LIKE THAT IS ALMOST A PERFECT FIT

2 minutes ago, 132 said:

im pretty sure You and Karma would've ended up being clean bandit songs if she didn't use them tbh. She spoke about giving them away and jack produced demo versions for You (and im pretty sure he worked on a demo of karma, as well as the final obviously).

Even if he didn't do a demo of karma, the instrumental of CB's song 'miss you' fits almost perfectly under Karma (just BPM match and then cut out the fourth verse, and it fits like it's the actual song, it's obviously slightly off key though), and the jack demo of you (piano demo specifically) uses the signature 'clean bandit' bass sound. idk what the actual bass is called but it's heard in Miss You too. 

here's miss you x karma i made in audacity this time last year. LIKE THAT IS ALMOST A PERFECT FIT

also there's an unleaked demo of karma, the 'drop' is so clean bandit i cant

7 minutes ago, 132 said:

omg:rip: well we all have to do our bit by recycling to save the planet