Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Unpopular opinion but I never understood the hate for ‘girls,’  it always came across to me as critique on society and gender roles rather than anything to do with actual gender… it’s sad to see marina herself turn on it too

edit. i see people say it’s the ultimate ‘I’m not like other girls’ song but I’m positive every girl in western world can relate to at least part of what she’s feeling in this song. 

47 minutes ago, urgirl said:

Unpopular opinion but I never understood the hate for ‘girls,’  it always came across to me as critique on society and gender roles rather than anything to do with actual gender… it’s sad to see marina herself turn on it too

edit. i see people say it’s the ultimate ‘I’m not like other girls’ song but I’m positive every girl in western world can relate to at least part of what she’s feeling in this song. 

I agree, it definitely calls out gender roles in society. “Of all the calories they [girls] eat” is a clear example especially for the time it was created. TFJ came out in 2010 which during that time, the 90’s supermodel body was still in. In the 2000’s many women developed eating disorders and suffered in silence and Girls touches on that subtly. 

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

8 hours ago, urgirl said:

Her indie pop fake Katy Perry and lady caca don’t make real music era :wub:

10 hours ago, urgirl said:

me neither, but I think the part that gives 'not like the other girls' vibes is the second part of the chorus: 'girls, they never befriend me 'cause I fall asleep when they speak of all the calories they eat' just comes across as if marina is 'above' that kind of thing, but I think it's just conveyed badly and she meant it more I wish women could talk about anything else instead of talking about diets.

to me it really encapsulates the late 2000s (she wrote it in 2008, a year after britney's breakdown) especially with the second verse: 'all the journos in heat write such good stories, oh their mothers must be proud, making money off your insecurity and doubt'. and it still holds relevance now, and the pre-chorus 'never meant to look a day past 30' still hits, especially when you see women past the age of 25 on social media just existing and all the comments are like 'omg you're 25???? you look so good!!' as if you disintegrate into dust past the age of 20:flop:

So I found this and I'm just like :flutter: Puts a new spin on the album.  At least for me.  Now I'm going to go re-listen to it! Eeeeeeeeee! 

FBwofJhWUA0Uw__?format=jpg&name=medium

“God forgive America for every single war” has got to be the most stupid pandering insincere lyric this genius woman ever recorded. There is so much wrong with it idek know where to start parsing it. 

1 hour ago, urgirl said:

“God forgive America for every single war” has got to be the most stupid pandering insincere lyric this genius woman ever recorded. There is so much wrong with it idek know where to start parsing it. 

Calling her a genius is really pushing it :bebe:

On 5/21/2023 at 7:42 AM, Veinsineon said:

Marina was tongue in cheek and abrasive on her first three records. Her critiques are not picking sides but rather mediating. Look at Sex Yeah lol….. but yeah she kinda turned into the girls she was writing about :toofloppy:

This. You're so right and it's sad to see what she has become. 

I still remember when I read in Twitter:

"Marina got tired of being called poor and wanted to be rich, so she decided to sell her diamonds".

:toofloppy:

I hate you MARINA so much, buy your Diamonds back. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

8 hours ago, EXODUS said:

This. You're so right and it's sad to see what she has become. 

I still remember when I read in Twitter:

"Marina got tired of being called poor and wanted to be rich, so she decided to sell her diamonds".

:toofloppy:

I hate you MARINA so much, buy your Diamonds back. 

I think her name without "and The Diamonds" actually lost something. But that's not a bad thing. I think it was too long and most new people took it as a band even though she sings solo. 🫣

7 hours ago, iamkozlowicz said:

I think her name without "and The Diamonds" actually lost something. But that's not a bad thing. I think it was too long and most new people took it as a band even though she sings solo. 🫣

Yeah, it was tiring for her to let the GP know that she is a solo artist and not a band

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

8 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

It’s kinda her fault for the confusion though- I do remember her saying it was her backing band at first and then the diamonds became the fans

And then when she released L+F and lost her fans she quickly had to delete the diamonds from her name right?

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

11 minutes ago, Inferno Euphoria said:

And then when she released L+F and lost her fans she quickly had to delete the diamonds from her name right?

Not to play devils advocate but weren’t a lot of people complaining about the tours too? I heard she sings  “live vocals” a lot less now 

14 minutes ago, Inferno Euphoria said:

:toofunny:

you're probably just joking, but if you're not you've got it the wrong way round. I said before but I think if she kept matd she might have faired l+f better, it was too many nails in the coffin, it started the era off by 'ditching' her fans that just spent years waiting for her album. (other nails include: absolutely lame aesthetic, dumping 3 singles in like 2 months then nothing else, 0 fan interaction; & cancelling a Q&A without telling anyone, hyping up a concept and saying the albums should be listened to in 2 halves then them not sounding sonically that different and not actually being able to listen to them separately cause she removed the 'love' ep, etc etc ) I know that wasn't what she meant by dropping 'and the diamonds' and after reading some interviews I do understand why she did it, but her twitter 'statement' wasn't great especially considering the reading comprehension of twitter is possibly the worse of any social media site as people are so preoccupied with replying in 0.2 seconds to try and get some attention they don't actually read the tweet properly. it's just 'yas queen slay'.

2 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Not to play devils advocate but weren’t a lot of people complaining about the tours too? I heard she sings  “live vocals” a lot less now 

people were upset she ditched her band, specifically (?) ben fletcher who did the remixed froot intros and has been with her since tfj (I think?) he's also jess' husband so... I guess we won't be seeing him again

1 minute ago, AllForYou said:

:toofunny:

you're probably just joking, but if you're not you've got it the wrong way round. I said before but I think if she kept matd she might have faired l+f better, it was too many nails in the coffin, it started the era off by 'ditching' her fans that just spent years waiting for her album. (other nails include: absolutely lame aesthetic, dumping 3 singles in like 2 months then nothing else, 0 fan interaction; & cancelling a Q&A without telling anyone, hyping up a concept and saying the albums should be listened to in 2 halves then them not sounding sonically that different and not actually being able to listen to them separately cause she removed the 'love' ep, etc etc ) I know that wasn't what she meant by dropping 'and the diamonds' and after reading some interviews I do understand why she did it, but her twitter 'statement' wasn't great especially considering the reading comprehension of twitter is possibly the worse of any social media site as people are so preoccupied with replying in 0.2 seconds to try and get some attention they don't actually read the tweet properly. it's just 'yas queen slay'.

Oh yeah I was just joking, but tbh ditching her iconic name and then releasing THAT was def a great way to lose her fans :toofloppy:

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

11 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

She could of just called herself Marina diamonds :um: like did this thought not occur to anyone 

she did sign autographs like that in tfj era actually

original.gif