Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

the boredom is really showing:toofunny:

I want her to announce literally anything but then I don't want her to announce something then leave us in a weird lurch for months like her first singles usually do.

spotify says she has a concert on the 9th and then one in july which maybe that means she's ready to soft launch a new era... but who knows

I found this on one of my old hard drives of This Is L.A. it always sounded dull to me and this always gave it way more life, so I decided to share it on here because I wasn't able to find it online anywhere

Edited by Wayamaya
Link didn't show

She needs to pull through with her next album. Ancient dreams was definitely an upgrade from love + fear, but I’m starting to loose faith in her music. I still enjoy her new work but it seriously lacks in comparison to her first three albums

7 minutes ago, 132 said:

my dead grandad has been more active on instagram than this bitch

I know she's not Taylor but in her latest insta post, the location name seems to be a new title or something?

"Love Is The Answer"

url%5D

Also since this thread came back from the dead and as a long time Marina stan I want to post my unpopular opinion and it's very very VERY controversial and long :true:

Love + Fear album > Ancient Dreams album.

I know that these albums are definitely not her strongest work but I find Ancient Dreams worse than L+F. 

When Ancient Dreams was released, it was my new favorite Marina album, I was so hyped and I loved every song on the album, I played it non-stop, especially Venus Fly Trap and the title track. But after a long break of not listening to this album (+ when the deluxe tracks dropped) - I found that album extreamely cringe :toofunny: like that album did not age well for me. 

The whole album seems so prententious for me now and very forced. In fact it was forced. When Marina saw the hate comments about L+F she did kind of force herself into her "old sound" (because fans wanted her to do it) but in my opinion it didn't really work out well. It sounded more of a "parody" of her old sound imo.

Like she has done that disco-rock/dance-rock/electro-pop rock/synth-pop/new wave sound (or whatever it is called) like million times, she could've explored new genres instead, like folk, soul, triphop, soft/psychedelic rock, not redo that electronic sound or oompah-oompah piano songs.

And the lyrics have become so awkward and clunky, not only the political songs which sounded like a novelty tracks but the break-up songs were even more awkward. Goodbye used to be my favorite song from Ancient until I relistened to it and realised how cringe it is, it's like a song written by a high-school student for a musical or a play. And I think the same about other break-up songs on the album too :toofunny: 

The only good song from Ancient Dreams is Highly Emotional People, and I think it's the best song from the album.

Love + Fear was also very clunky and awkward in terms of lyrics like for example in No More Suckers and Enjoy Your Life but the album was just lacklustre and boring and lyrically/sonically too simple and plain. It wasn't really that pretentious and awkward as Ancient Dreams was. It was obvious that this album wasn't that strong lyrically/sonically because she had been away from music for few years. I don't think that L+F had a forced sound because it was just the "aftermath" of the environment Marina was living in (her hiatus, her then bf with Clean Bandit and the psychology courses). If the reception from her fans was less harsh and if Covid didn't happen, I think she would have moved on to a whole new level in music, like a new genre and theme. Like when Taylor transitioned from Lover era to Folklore/Evermore.

Imo, her holy trinity will forever be her first three albums, because these were a perfect trilogy of her life and her mindset. The concepts of those albums were perfectly executed, especially Electra Heart's which was just brilliant. Now I think she has a writer block or I think she doesn't have anything "fundamental" to write about because everything she wanted to say, was said in The Family Jewels, Electra Heart and Froot. And you can see it in L+F and Ancient Dreams that these two albums are very different from her first three.

My favorite album of hers is Froot and song Froot too. I think it's a perfect pop album and perfect pop song.

I also think that she's not an alternative artist. She has always been pop for me. Maybe the early era of TFJ was alternative with Mermaid Vs Sailor EP and that's it.

I currently prefer her poetry to Ancient Dreams because I think the "awkward political/societal wordiness" looks better in poetry than in songs.

I knowww that my opinion I stated here was very very very harsh but it was already very difficult for me to state too because I have loved her music since 2010 and I love Marina herself very much. But this was just my insight and no one obviously doesn't have to take my opinion seriously. I just had to say it and this forum was the best place for it :true:

url%5D

27 minutes ago, Embach said:

Also since this thread came back from the dead and as a long time Marina stan I want to post my unpopular opinion and it's very very VERY controversial and long :true:

Love + Fear album > Ancient Dreams album.

I know that these albums are definitely not her strongest work but I find Ancient Dreams worse than L+F. 

When Ancient Dreams was released, it was my new favorite Marina album, I was so hyped and I loved every song on the album, I played it non-stop, especially Venus Fly Trap and the title track. But after a long break of not listening to this album (+ when the deluxe tracks dropped) - I found that album extreamely cringe :toofunny: like that album did not age well for me. 

The whole album seems so prententious for me now and very forced. In fact it was forced. When Marina saw the hate comments about L+F she did kind of force herself into her "old sound" (because fans wanted her to do it) but in my opinion it didn't really work out well. It sounded more of a "parody" of her old sound imo.

Like she has done that disco-rock/dance-rock/electro-pop rock/synth-pop/new wave sound (or whatever it is called) like million times, she could've explored new genres instead, like folk, soul, triphop, soft/psychedelic rock, not redo that electronic sound or oompah-oompah piano songs.

And the lyrics have become so awkward and clunky, not only the political songs which sounded like a novelty tracks but the break-up songs were even more awkward. Goodbye used to be my favorite song from Ancient until I relistened to it and realised how cringe it is, it's like a song written by a high-school student for a musical or a play. And I think the same about other break-up songs on the album too :toofunny: 

The only good song from Ancient Dreams is Highly Emotional People, and I think it's the best song from the album.

Love + Fear was also very clunky and awkward in terms of lyrics like for example in No More Suckers and Enjoy Your Life but the album was just lacklustre and boring and lyrically/sonically too simple and plain. It wasn't really that pretentious and awkward as Ancient Dreams was. It was obvious that this album wasn't that strong lyrically/sonically because she had been away from music for few years. I don't think that L+F had a forced sound because it was just the "aftermath" of the environment Marina was living in (her hiatus, her then bf with Clean Bandit and the psychology courses). If the reception from her fans was less harsh and if Covid didn't happen, I think she would have moved on to a whole new level in music, like a new genre and theme. Like when Taylor transitioned from Lover era to Folklore/Evermore.

Imo, her holy trinity will forever be her first three albums, because these were a perfect trilogy of her life and her mindset. The concepts of those albums were perfectly executed, especially Electra Heart's which was just brilliant. Now I think she has a writer block or I think she doesn't have anything "fundamental" to write about because everything she wanted to say, was said in The Family Jewels, Electra Heart and Froot. And you can see it in L+F and Ancient Dreams that these two albums are very different from her first three.

My favorite album of hers is Froot and song Froot too. I think it's a perfect pop album and perfect pop song.

I also think that she's not an alternative artist. She has always been pop for me. Maybe the early era of TFJ was alternative with Mermaid Vs Sailor EP and that's it.

I currently prefer her poetry to Ancient Dreams because I think the "awkward political/societal wordiness" looks better in poetry than in songs.

I knowww that my opinion I stated here was very very very harsh but it was already very difficult for me to state too because I have loved her music since 2010 and I love Marina herself very much. But this was just my insight and no one obviously doesn't have to take my opinion seriously. I just had to say it and this forum was the best place for it :true:

very controversial take but why can i see where youre coming from?

I will say i think LF aged better than ADIAML (and that pains me because i despise like 70% of LF but have been streaming it more). I think ADIAML is more reminiscent of her old self in the fact the thing is fucking everywhere like my emotions but LF is a more 'mature' album. Sure, some of it is awful (orange trees and messing up them fuckin towels) but for the most part it is written better in the sense that the political lyrics (literally none except tbh) and observations don't make me wanna gag?

Although ILYBILMM i will defend til the end 

my reply is so bad sorry but im just thinking and typing at the same time lols 

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

2 minutes ago, 132 said:

very controversial take but why can i see where youre coming from?

I will say i think LF aged better than ADIAML (and that pains me because i despise like 70% of LF but have been streaming it more). I think ADIAML is more reminiscent of her old self in the fact the thing is fucking everywhere like my emotions but LF is a more 'mature' album. Sure, some of it is awful (orange trees and messing up them fuckin towels) but for the most part it is written better in the sense that the political lyrics (literally none except tbh) and observations don't make me wanna gag?

Although ILYBILMM i will defend til the end 

my reply is so bad sorry but im just thinking and typing at the same time lols 

I understand. I find L+F more mature too. I actually love I Love You But... song too but I love the production of it. I love rock, I wish she could do a full pure rock album without the pop or electronic elements.

But I feel like with Ancient she wanted to appeal the public and the fans more than with L+F (the way how she pushed that album in TikTok with the TikTok playlists :toofunny:)

I kinda have more mercy for L+F because the album came out when I was in a dark place and I related to the album a lot and it helped me to cope with sadness.

url%5D

7 minutes ago, Embach said:

I understand. I find L+F more mature too. I actually love I Love You But... song too but I love the production of it. I love rock, I wish she could do a full pure rock album without the pop or electronic elements.

But I feel like with Ancient she wanted to appeal the public and the fans more than with L+F (the way how she pushed that album in TikTok with the TikTok playlists :toofunny:)

I kinda have more mercy for L+F because the album came out when I was in a dark place and I related to the album a lot and it helped me to cope with sadness.

LF could've worked if we got majority of the demos and outtakes on the final tracklist. the album does compliment her well but the final version of it was just...yeah

we need her and ellie foulding to collab cause they're fighting for top space on my spotify. imagine FROOT (Marina's Version) with an ellie feature...i'm here for the madness

i think love + filler is a better album than ancient dreams even tho ancient dreams has better songs on it 

i'd very happily never listen to either album again tho 

ↀ  ⟡   last.fm

1 hour ago, Embach said:

it was also 'forced' because she was getting out of her contract asap, I was hoping that perhaps her new stuff will be better without that restriction but her poetry isn't it. it's like she has a good idea then has to 'ruin' it with a live laugh love-esqe line.

I don't think your opinion is that controversial, I think it's what a lot of people are thinking but no one wants to say... I think on the surface ADIAML seems better because the production is better/more consistent, L+F has songs that have good lyrics with bad production and 'bad' lyrics with good production. but that's what having 22 co-writers and 13 producers will do.

1 hour ago, AllForYou said:

it was also 'forced' because she was getting out of her contract asap, I was hoping that perhaps her new stuff will be better without that restriction but her poetry isn't it. it's like she has a good idea then has to 'ruin' it with a live laugh love-esqe line.

I don't think your opinion is that controversial, I think it's what a lot of people are thinking but no one wants to say... I think on the surface ADIAML seems better because the production is better/more consistent, L+F has songs that have good lyrics with bad production and 'bad' lyrics with good production. but that's what having 22 co-writers and 13 producers will do.

why has this got the same energy as this

To be honest I agree that LF is somewhat better than AD. They are quite different so a bit hard to

properly compare but AD is quite cringe and forced as @Embach said. 

and I must say that I like the fact that she is political as artists should be political and should take a stance and should make comments on our environment and future as society. However, she just does a very very shitty job at it. It’s the level of a 16 year old kid that gets all its opinions from reddit and twitter. 

even Lana’s attempts at political comment have not been the best but in my opinion Looking for America and WWTWTWTWTWTWD are miles better than whatever purge the poison’s lyrics are

36 minutes ago, LanaBalkana said:

To be honest I agree that LF is somewhat better than AD. They are quite different so a bit hard to

properly compare but AD is quite cringe and forced as @Embach said. 

and I must say that I like the fact that she is political as artists should be political and should take a stance and should make comments on our environment and future as society. However, she just does a very very shitty job at it. It’s the level of a 16 year old kid that gets all its opinions from reddit and twitter. 

even Lana’s attempts at political comment have not been the best but in my opinion Looking for America and WWTWTWTWTWTWD are miles better than whatever purge the poison’s lyrics are

tbh she falls flat cause she tries to be political in songs then doesn’t do anything on social media & in some cases literally does the things she criticises others for. I would rather she do 0 political songs but was a good activist.

like you said it’s like she gets all her opinions from tweets and doesn’t look into any actual sources to form her own opinions. 

3 hours ago, AllForYou said:

exactly, it's obvious love + fear will have more polished lyrics because of the amount of co writers. i do think marina has always been a clunky lyricist and that's why i adore electra heart the most, because other people like nowels, rick or even dr. luke helped her execute her own idea better. what i still cannot comprehend is simply how marina doesn't bother to proofread whatever she's writing now

original.gif

Am I only one who thinks that New America's strings (or synths? or violins which sound like synths?) intro is very similar to Lana's Butterflies Pt 2 strings intro? Those were my first thoughts when I heard that song for the first time when it was released. :assad:

url%5D

This is actually funny because it somehow sounds so real, AI is getting really scary (and I can definitely see that if Marina continues to write her societal/political songs/poems, she'll definitely write about AI too:omfg2:

url%5D