Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Orange Trees is SOOO good. Maybe some of you have never been happy before

imagine thinking we don't like orange trees just cause it's an happy song. i'm down for happy, pop, mainstream songs but they have to be good. and orange trees just isn't.

Friendly reminder to stream the best single from this era so far

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

Yeah I've defended her, but the only highlight is handmade heaven she needs better lyricism and clearly when it comes to happy songs she's out of practice there's none of her wit in orange trees at all its just bland. 

The production is dire aswell I could kinda see it for superstar I guess but the latin pop vibe was only cute for baby she shouldn't put it on any of her own material. 

who was in charge of the editing of the Orange Trees music video, why is it so yellow tinted

As much as I like the song I must agree with this. It looks like someone picked a random filter in VSCO and used on this video or something like that, and the editing is very suspicious too. This is probably her worst video, it looks super amateur.

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

Someone has been reading comments here.

Check out her tweet! Yikes! She should ignore the haters tbh, it will never end.

I was gonna post about this oof

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Didn't Marina say this wasn't gonna be a conceptual album? Her lyrics don't have to be deep like previous albums. If she wants to have a normal pop album, what's the issue in that?

negAbhB.png

So, after hating not really feeling all the songs she released, I realized they really vibe together (I've been playing Orange Trees for the last hour. It isn't groundbreaking but I would say it's... inoffensive. Cute chorus).

I'm probably fucking the tracklist up tho. since It's playing Orange -> Superstar and I think it's the other way around and my mind won't wrap around it once the album comes out in full.

I really don't understand how people call Orange Trees one of her best songs, like... in what fucking world?

It's cute, but the production is basic and bland, lyrics are okay, and the chrous is sticky, but there's zero possibilities that this is one of her best. The song is a 6/10 to me, but it's my least favourite by the moment.

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

Orange Trees could be one her best song if this was her debut album.

Maybe this is the "MARINA" (not the diamonds) fantasy about. Rebranding for a debut that people will actually listen to on the release date. 

SS, HH and OT seem so uninspired to me tbh...

You can defo see that they put a great deal of work on Baby, even though I don’t like it and I think it’s a stupid ass title. The melody was cute, the arrangement was cute, the lyrics kinda make sense... like it’s not a song for the generations to come to remember but it’s cute. The rest tho... like she deadass put more work in her GarageBand demos. They are so boring. The melodies are all over the place. And like I know a lot of people don’t give a fuck about the musical aspect but her early demos were SO much better than this. Like in songs like Starlight, Supermodel’s Legs, Pancake Karma etc... the music she played was much more interesting. Like even as far as chords are concerned they were much more diverse and interesting. And the lyrics...

Like it’s easy to brush off any kind of criticism as just people not adjusting to her new sound but it’s not just like that. She used to be much more interesting. From every point of view. I know y’all are happy she’s back and I’m too, but I don’t want a dummy that fails to imitate the Marina I used to love. I want Marina. And this is a watered down version of her

I so agree,

Except that Handmade Heaven is really good and up there with Immortal as her best lyrics.

I haven't even listened to SS and OT in full though, it's painful.

I really don't understand how people call Orange Trees one of her best songs, like... in what fucking world?

It's cute, but the production is basic and bland, lyrics are okay, and the chrous is sticky, but there's zero possibilities that this is one of her best. The song is a 6/10 to me, but it's my least favourite by the moment.

opinions, that's it

Here's my hot take on this era so far, since everyone's doing it  :hooker:

I personally think that Love + Fear may end up being my least favorite album by her. I love Marina and have a great deal of respect for her as an artist, but this contemporary pop aesthetic just feels kind of weird to me, and like she maybe isn't putting the best music that she can make anymore. I thought Handmade Heaven was beautiful, but everything else we've heard has been kind of subpar? I'm not really a fan of the overly simplistic production (if ARTPOP was "overproduced" then this is definitely underproduced) and I think the lyrics are quite basic compared to a good amount of material she's released or scrapped in the past. 

And I don't even think it's that she can't write a good pop song; she pulled it off brilliantly with songs like Blue. Blue has somewhat basic lyrics like Orange Trees and Superstar do, except Blue pulls it off extremely well by being super catchy and having a unique sound with an instrumental reaching it's full potential. Superstar in particular feels like a really watered down version of I'm A Ruin, without any of the charm. I don't know, that's just my opinion.

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina