Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

To Be Human suffers from the same faux-wokeness as Savages, which is why it's such a terrible song. Aside from saying 'human bad', what else actually is there on the song, besides loads of clunky lines (the Lenin one being the best example of this)? She's not saying anything new or anything near as deep as she thinks she is, which is one of the biggest flaws that reoccurs throughout Love + Fear. 

I do like the record, but her ego has been so inflated that she believes she's being psychological and analytical, which she fails to do at any point on the album, and can't take any criticism directed at her because of this. Marina should have just billed this as her happy, chart-y music and left it at that. It's a good album, just not a good Marina one.

I wholeheartedly agree. However, I don't think it necessarily makes it a bad song.

I like Savages because despite being nothing short of an inspirational Instagram post it's so "bad" it's kinda good. Like, she doesn't have to be on spot each and every time, just look at the choruses in Froot: 

1. Yeah, u-uh, oooh, yeah
  2. Forget, forget, forget, forget
  3. Like weeeeeeeds like weeeeeeds yeah yeah

they're not lyrical masterpieces but I like them because it's Marina. She's being herself, in a lazy, clumsy kind of way. And it's good.

Like we're talking about the same person who bought a kickstarter-funded cellphone to detox from social media only to carry an iPhone X with herself too... like it's comical. It's a parody. And we love her for that.

The major issue is a lot of fans have started to hold her at this impossible wellness guru-like, deep philosophical figure, which she has never been. And on L+F it shows

Sex Yeah is a much more in-depth social cmentary song because she's not just spewing out lines taken from tumblr but actually saying something.

And you can tell that a LOT of people on here think she's this Dalai Lama type figure that's gonna guide as out of the light. I guess every artist has those fans, Marina just started taking notes which... homegirl needs to listen to Philosopher My Arse again 

It feels like this era is already over in less then a week....yikes

Ikr, and she didn't do a single video for the Fear side of the album, which is clearly the better portion of songs. This era just feels weird to me.

自由になる自由がある

Ikr, and she didn't do a single video for the Fear side of the album, which is clearly the better portion of songs. This era just feels weird to me.

We have to wait sis the woman need$ money to make another mv + Orange Trees turned out to be the hit from this era so they will rely on that for a little

What riots in America is she referring to?

The first time i listened to that I asked the same question BUT since we're talking about Marina I thought it was an hypothetical situation like: when u think everything is doing fine in your life u get a big ass problem out of a sudden. Life will never be always good and perfect we have to deal with fear and sadness

I think Savages and To Be Human touch on two slightly different things. Savages is purely about the horrible things that people do. To Be Human is more about trying to find the meaning in all of the savagery, and is a bit more existential. I interpreted the Lenin line to show how people of power still die one day, and the vain attempts of people to outlive their own deaths. I really like the line about "gold leaf hides the damages," it shows that underneath the facades of the world there is a lot that is broken, and how hard we try to cover that up. I think To Be Human is kind of the next step after Savages and to some degree Immortal. 

As to her meltdowns, I think its the opposite of a huge ego, else she would just brush everything off. I think she is really fragile and probably saw releasing an album as this huge spiritual healing process. When she got backlash, it probably crushed whatever confidence she was building back up. I'm sure making something you love and feel like "represents" you only for it to be trashed is not a great feeling. And I wonder if she feels like being an artist is her biggest accomplishment and is feeling extra bad that she seemingly failed at that this time around. I'm just speculating so I don't know, but I do think she needs to get herself on more solid ground before releasing again if that is the case.

Or we are all just reading too much into her posts, which is probably the most likely explanation :P

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

I love it. Tbh I love all the FEAR songs. Tbh I also love all the LOVE songs except for True

I love all the LOVE songs except for Orange Trees, I always skip it. The only songs I dislike from FEAR are BIL and NMS

Handmade Heaven and Too Afraid are two of my favorite Marina songs ever tbh

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

I love all the LOVE songs except for Orange Trees, I always skip it. The only songs I dislike from FEAR are BIL and NMS

Handmade Heaven and Too Afraid are two of my favorite Marina songs ever tbh

what??? how do you not like BIL and NMS?? BIL is fucking BEAUTIFUL

xMcVPI7.jpg

MARINA [2009] - DISCARDED DEMO

Dirty houses, dirty sheets

Wonder bra and unlean feet

Happened once and happened twice

I wanted a slice of you

Female guilt is a fast swimmer

I want to be the only winner

Of your body

Let's skip the pretences of dinner