Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

You all act like Marina was this never-seen-before alternative experimental trend-braker machine when she has always released pop songs. Yes, she has amazing deep cuts in her discography but has fun pop songs since the start of her career (example: Hollywood, Shampain)

the problem is not that she's doing pop, the problem is the bland lyrical component that most of the album has

giphy.gif

It's not really my job to look up someone else's content, but literally four posts above yours:

That we don't like a fake-woke, fake-deep, cheaply-produced, poorly-written, badly-executed record that shows no advancement in her career, let alone artistic development, that goes beyond having nice vocals, something that has never been a selling-point for Marina?

Mmm, here's the thing about this quote though that you're referencing. I think we went over it many pages ago how some of us really don't get those faux-vibes concerning her lyrics. I used a comparison to Lana as an example- the reason why I believe Marina over Lana concerning political lyrics is because Marina is consistent with what her stances are. She's been open about her thoughts concerning politics and questions about human nature in interviews, whereas Lana is still wishy-washy when serious topics are brought up. Cheaply-produced? I mean I can hear how she's influenced by the sound of Clean Bandit since she's worked with them and is close to them (because of Jack), but just because it sounds more mainstream than her previous work doesn't mean it's cheap. The existence of End of the Earth alone makes me go "???" at this statement. Poorly-written? I mean, I still hear Marina in her lyrics. I believe the person who wrote To Be Human is the same person who wrote Immortal:

I like to think about how we all look from afar

People driving fancy cars look like beetles to the stars

The missiles and the bombs sound like symphonies gone wrong

And if there is a God, they'll know why it's so hard

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But if the Earth ends in fire

And the seas are frozen in time

There'll be just one survivor

The memory that I was yours and you were mine

I believe the same woman who did the unique vocal delivery on the chorus of Homewrecker or Shampain, also experimented with Emotional Machine's and Karma's chorus. And then the whole "shows no advancement in her career"- I mean I'll take the state of mind Marina's currently in now compared to the start of her career as progress in itself. In Numb, she was very candid about her depression, in Fear and Loathing, she wants to break free from it. In Happy, she's trying out new things to get out of that dark place and is trying to find peace. In Soft to Be Strong, she finally discovers how important it is to accept the vulnerable side of yourself, and how it actually brings you strength and peace. I think people are too caught up in how "current" the production sounds, and I get that people probably miss her unique production, but I honestly don't mind the laid-back direction she's taken. I have confidence she still has the passion for it and can write as introspective as she did during the beginning of her career. It just doesn't take away my enjoyment of the album though, because I'm taking it for what it is.

I literally didn’t start the discussion what the fuck

you did last time, and the time before that, and the time before that, and so on. it gets annoying and repetitive. we know you don't like the album, you've expressed that over and over again, there's no need to keep repeating your personal opinions as if they're facts. it's just your personal taste and opinion. it's fine to share all that but it gets annoying when it gets repeated over and over again.

qfrWuBl.png

ugh, so is your taste. poor creature.

you’re a dreamer you like to dream a lot

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

Trying to use To Be Human lyrics as evidence of good lyrics...we really scrapin' the bottle of the barrel huh

Okay, you don’t like the song. I think it’s good?

I wouldn't say that "being influenced by Clean Bandit" is a good thing since their last album is by far their worst, tho

It’s like you guys don’t know how to quote a post. I don’t listen to Clean Bandit so I don’t have an opinion on them. I was just explaining why the production is what it is.

the album sucks, get over it

You know, this thread is really depressing because of shit like this. It’s really one thing to dislike something, but it’s another to kill the hype or enjoyment for others when all they want when they visit this thread is to have productive discussions about Marina’s work or get news about the tour or just fuck around and laugh. I’ve lost the hype concerning Lana, but I’m not going to be dragging others down by constantly saying “the NFR promo is bad” and telling people to “get over it.” I think it’s been done 295710 times enough and if someone’s happy at this point that we’re getting anything at all, then that’s fine.

And you know what? Cool if any of you respond to the posts I just made, but I’m not going to respond because I can already predict it’ll be a repeat of what you already said. I’m just done with this thread.

can you all just shut the fuck up now

not everyone is going to love the album

they have just as much a right to talk about their dislike of the album as you can talk about how much you love it

can we collectively move on now jesus christ

You know, this thread is really depressing because of shit like this. It’s really one thing to dislike something, but it’s another to kill the hype or enjoyment for others when all they want when they visit this thread is to have productive discussions about Marina’s work or get news about the tour or just fuck around and laugh. I’ve lost the hype concerning Lana, but I’m not going to be dragging others down by constantly saying “the NFR promo is bad” and telling people to “get over it.” I think it’s been done 295710 times enough and if someone’s happy at this point that we’re getting anything at all, then that’s fine.

And you know what? Cool if any of you respond to the posts I just made, but I’m not going to respond because I can already predict it’ll be a repeat of what you already said. I’m just done with this thread.

i know baby but it's not that serious, i saw y'all arguing about the album being good/bad and just played along. i totally don't care about this record & i'm glad there are people who can enjoy it and can listen to it anyways. also i'm super here for marina to be happy about it! it's her work and the first person who needs to be satisfied about it it's her, i'm just sad i can't enjoy it, but i'll get over it.

and now you're singing to yourself, how cute.. 

i wasn't singing sksks i was quoting a tiffany pollard video but whatever.. skskjsjghgh

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever