Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Why is it that basically all lana fans are marina fans and vice versa? they don't have that much in common musically, except for being amazing

Hi, I merged this with the Marina and the Diamonds thread because I think it would have more effect there.

I think it comes down to both of them being female vocalists in an Internet age. Which either leads to people loving both or having very different opinions about each and favoring one.

So I've taken another step into my journey of The Family Jewels. :flutter:

The first song that stuck with me was Mowgli's Road. I thought for a long time that it'd be the only one from that album that I'd like, because upon the first listen of the album, I was extremely bored and uninterested. I don't know why, but I just didn't get it, I guess. That was a long time ago. Then, about a week or so ago, I came across I Am Not a Robot and the amazing Starsmith 24 Carat Remix of it. I was floored!  I decided that I'd let the album come to me one song at a time, and I've just found the third song I love. :flutter: :flutter: :flutter:

Rootless is wonderful. 

14417469274.gif

Her voice is outstanding but her song writtin, in my opinion, is weak at least compared to her singing skills. The highs and lows she reachs are amazing but unfortunatelly the majority of her lyrics are not remarkable.

I completely disagree. Her lyrics are great IMO, much more well written and emotional than lots of other pop women out there today. What makes you think her songwriting is what keeps her from rising to the top? I just find it really hard to understand that. I'm gonna list some of her great lyrical moments in a spoiler below just to appease myself.

I wanna be a bottle blonde,

I don't know why but I feel conned

I wanna be an idle teen

I wish I hadn't been so clean

Now I see, I see it for the first time

There is no crime in being kind

Not everyone is out to screw you over

Maybe, yeah, just maybe they just wanna get to know ya

You've been hanging with the unloved kids

Who you never really liked and you never trusted

But you are so magnetic, you pick up all the pins

Never committing to anything,

You don't pick up the phone when it ring-ring-rings

Don't be so pathetic, just open up and sing;

"I'm vulnerable! I'm vulnerable! I am not a robot!"

You say Y-E-S to everything-will that guarantee you a win?

Do you think you will be good enough to love others and to be loved?

I personally believe that the one thing actually holding her back is her style. I know she's only put out two albums, but they're very different in style and that's an off-putter for people sometimes. I don't think she's found the best sound for herself that will sell as well as it deserves. I love the style of TFJ, but it's not as commercial as EH. At the same time though, while EH is very commercial, it doesn't stand out sonically compared to other top artists right now.

I know your post is old but it's been bothering me since I read it. I really think she's a great lyricist and I want her to go as far as she deserves, but I don't think the EH sound is going to get her that kind of positive popularity. It's kind of a boring album compared to TFJ honestly. It doesn't have longevity and that's an important thing to have. 

14417469274.gif

I completely disagree. Her lyrics are great IMO, much more well written and emotional than lots of other pop women out there today. What makes you think her songwriting is what keeps her from rising to the top? I just find it really hard to understand that. I'm gonna list some of her great lyrical moments in a spoiler below just to appease myself.

I wanna be an idle teen

^this basically. And I would like to add my personal favorites:

Nothing is provocative

Anymore even for kids

No room for imagining

'Cause everyone's seen everything

When everything is life and death

You may feel like there's nothing left

Instead of love and trust and laughter

What you get is happy never after

EQFO7rX.png

Her lyrics are pretty incredible imo and tells stories. Much like Lana's music, a lot of people relate to Marina because she uses her experiences in life to write her songs. I like that about them both. :yesnod:

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

I just thought it was funny everyone loves EH, but it was supposed to be a side project for fun but the label essentially forced her to make it her next album.

What's gonna happen to all the people she gained when the next album is a return to form?

BzhmW.png

I wanna be an idle teen

I personally believe that the one thing actually holding her back is her style. I know she's only put out two albums, but they're very different in style and that's an off-putter for people sometimes. I don't think she's found the best sound for herself that will sell as well as it deserves. I love the style of TFJ, but it's not as commercial as EH. At the same time though, while EH is very commercial, it doesn't stand out sonically compared to other top artists right now.

I know your post is old but it's been bothering me since I read it. I really think she's a great lyricist and I want her to go as far as she deserves, but I don't think the EH sound is going to get her that kind of positive popularity. It's kind of a boring album compared to TFJ honestly. It doesn't have longevity and that's an important thing to have. 

Its only natural you totally disagree ;) After all what would become of yellow if everyone liked blue?

I get your points but I stand by my opinion. I never said tho Marina wasn't a good song writer or her songs were not well writin. I do agree she is better than most pop artists. But I think we both would agree that such thing doesn't mean much since most pop songs these days are souless.

I wouldn't choose MOST of the lyrics you did as Marinas best moments. But I do think when she is good she is really good. I love Mowgli's road, Obssession, Numb, Hollywood, Teen Idle, Lies.

When I say her songs are not remarkeble I was going for memorable, that could stand in time. I say that not because I am pretencious or think every artist should be in the top 40. Nothing like that. I just think Marina's voice is fucking awsome. Tone, range, unique, she is a great singer. Better than most pop artists hell better singer than most artists of all styles. A song has to have a plot point like a movie. A punch line, a moment, That is what I meant her songs are not memorable. They will fade with time.

Maybe if she wasn't such a good performer and her voice wasn't so amazing we wouldn't even be having this conversation because IMO only song writing wouldn't make her be successful. Maybe co write some songs, and a producer that could take out of her the best of her would give her the attention she deserves. All that of course is just my opinion and I do understand your points and think they are valiable  I just don't think many think like you which is a shame. She is hard working and a great musician. I miss that in music. I hate lazy people and lazy artists that don't give themselves the trouble to learn nothing about music. I love that Marina is not only a performer but also a musician. And I feel sorry when I see an artist like her don't getting the attention they deserve speacilly when the problem is a easy fix. Charisma, talent, voice, performance, skills she has it all. Maybe a different MKT strategy, songs and a producer would make her go to different places. But I can't know if what I am saying is right or wrong since is a hard thing to understand why some get there and others don't. Maybe luck is a true definitive factor.

In another note....do you really think EH is that different from TFJ?? I don't see them as very different. I see that both albuns are different versions of the same artist. EH is just a little more upbeat IMO.

Another thing what did you meant by style? Style can mean so many things. From singing style, to clothes, to sets...and the whole package off course.

glgcDdT.gif

In another note....do you really think EH is that different from TFJ?? I don't see them as very different. I see that both albuns are different versions of the same artist. EH is just a little more upbeat IMO.

Another thing what did you meant by style? Style can mean so many things. From singing style, to clothes, to sets...and the whole package off course.

Yeah, I do. EH comes off as Top 40 Radio Pop while TFJ is Marina just doing her thing. EH has a lot more synths and electronic tinges than TFJ to compete with the similar pop that's played on the radio. By style, I mean the sound of the music. Every good / popular artist has their own style that people recognize. 

14417469274.gif

Yeah, I do. EH comes off as Top 40 Radio Pop while TFJ is Marina just doing her thing. EH has a lot more synths and electronic tinges than TFJ to compete with the similar pop that's played on the radio. By style, I mean the sound of the music. Every good / popular artist has their own style that people recognize. 

I thought you didn't like TFJ :heidi:

That video was pretty stagnant, but I think at this point she's just releasing visuals for every song until she's done touring and the era officially ends

BzhmW.png

That video was pretty stagnant, but I think at this point she's just releasing visuals for every song until she's done touring and the era officially ends

As a matter of fact, it's some sort of promo video they never planned on releasing because it didn't really work... The director uploaded it to vimeo, someone downloaded it, and then leaked it today after a lot of gifs in tumblr :3