Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

19 minutes ago, Dum-Dum said:

i hope the song is good. we already starting off with this flinstones font ... i don’t know baby

its flintstones mixed with spongebob :hillary:

51 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:

i love marina but her woke/political lyrics are not it for me– i think she comes up with much smarter and more interesting lyrics when she stays closer to home. not saying she shouldn't address the world at all (bc duh) but i find savages etc to be so banal and have very little perspective that i couldn't get from almost anywhere else. all that said, excited to hear where she's going next & hope to god i enjoy it.

Ok but....sex yeah is introspective as fuck and is a bop and a half. 

3 hours ago, Roger said:

He just said "nex friday", i hope it's this friday tho.

He also mentioned that this song was meant to be released on October and "Time flies, MW seems like a worthy follow up of Froot, I'm a Ruin with Savages/CPMD lyrics coming" and "It's really good imo, much better than most of L+F at least"

https://atrl.net/forums/topic/324106-marina-mans-world/

Nov 20th, apparently.

2 hours ago, lizyyygrant said:

Ok but....sex yeah is introspective as fuck and is a bop and a half. 

sex yeah is her wisest song she'll never be able to top

original.gif

3 hours ago, rightofjupiter said:

i love marina but her woke/political lyrics are not it for me– i think she comes up with much smarter and more interesting lyrics when she stays closer to home. not saying she shouldn't address the world at all (bc duh) but i find savages etc to be so banal and have very little perspective that i couldn't get from almost anywhere else. all that said, excited to hear where she's going next & hope to god i enjoy it.

Savage banal? Nah that’s her best political song. To Be Human on the other hand...:toofunny:

5 hours ago, rightofjupiter said:

I love when she writes social/political commentary, but I definitely think that she can be more clever with it at times (Sex Yeah, Oh No) and other times it's very much a mess lyrically (Savages, To Be Human).

Usually I find her super feminist songs the best when it comes to political type of commentary, as she's writing from experience....nobody can resonate with MARINA saying "there were riots in America..." lol. I have hopes for Man's World though. Cautiously hopeful. I love how she approached Purge the Poison thus far too.

i love marina but it's quite funny how fast she moved on from L+F considering how long she goes between album cycles, i almost feel bad cause of how aware she is. it's for the best tho, she spent too long on it and stripped it of all it's promising qualities. this new album was made over the past year(?) and the concept is something she's always been passionate about so it'll be a serve.

i love you, but you don't understand me.

8 minutes ago, new gods said:

i love marina but it's quite funny how fast she moved on from L+F considering how long she goes between album cycles, i almost feel bad cause of how aware she is. it's for the best tho, she spent too long on it and stripped it of all it's promising qualities. this new album was made over the past year(?) and the concept is something she's always been passionate about so it'll be a serve.

L+F was a buzz album...

I think that she needed to release this album, even if she was unsure about it/didn't produce the best quality, I don't see Marina as the type to completely start from scratch, so I'm glad she got it out of her system and she can tap back into her legendary pen for M5

1 hour ago, howtobeaheartbreaker said:

Usually I find her super feminist songs the best when it comes to political type of commentary, as she's writing from experience....

totally agree! that's when she's at her best imo, when it comes to social commentary

aOaIzH2.gif

12 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:

totally agree! that's when she's at her best imo, when it comes to social commentary

Very much "pick a struggle" rather than writing about society as a whole like Savages/TBH... The songs where she's like "something something the human race" sound like she's trying too hard to be deep

I feel like Marina's lost her edge a bit when it comes to writing songs geared more towards political/social commentary.

Sex Yeah was a great representation of what she's capable of, but songs like Savages and To Be Human feel a bit watered down, and surface level. I feel like once she gave up that angrier edge that Electra Heart offered, she lost some of that bite with it. She wants to be deep and make a statement, but it feels like she's trying too hard to be nice about it. She wants to make a statement without stepping on anyone's toes.

tumblr_mgwv3zQ0dn1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

1 minute ago, veinsineon said:

Savages is literally perfect no FROOT slander/demeaning

FROOT is my favorite album of hers, no question, but even though Savages is a banger, when you analyze it lyrically, it does feel a bit watered down when you remember she was trying to make a statement about violence and human nature going hand in hand. 

tumblr_mgwv3zQ0dn1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Savages does have some "though" around it like, it is basic but it's well built in metaphor and so on.

To Be Human is... throwing a lot of things at a wall and trying to stick. It doesn't have any "depth" because there's no main subject. Like... yes the song is mean to be general but... it's just TOO general.

And then there's stuff like "There were riots in America just when things were getting better" and it feels like... Getting better for who exactly? 

For sure her heart is packed with good intentions but it just feels a bit... shallow and trying hard to be something. 

To Be Human middle8 tho... she made some points.