Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

1 hour ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

oh wow, really? I was just theorizing... I made this assumption because Marina was one the people to unfollow Lana following QFTC. It's like as if she was waiting for something bad to happen and was ready to show her hatred. At some point (2017-2018 I believe) they were spending some time together, maybe even teased the collaboration, but then when shit hit the fan, Marina unfollowed her. What's funny is that I believe Lana continued following Marina up until she deleted her IG. Obviously, we don't have all the details about their ''friendship'' but it kind of sounds like backstabbing instead of supporting other women. That's why ADIAML doesn't sound authentic. Singing about empowering women but IRL acting the opposite. Again, maybe I'm reading into things too much.

1 hour ago, the ocean said:

also there was the familiar froot moment with charli that seemed otherwise completely out of nowhere

Yeah, it has happened with Lana, Charli and even Ellie Goulding. 

It really makes me think that Marina is the one with the problems, she comes up to me as someone who is trying to do the right things all the time but as with any other person sometimes her bad side gets the best of her. 

Maybe she's just someone hard to have a relationship with, and that's alright, not everyone can be as easy going (or easy to make friends) like Charli. 

She's a person just like me and you, after all. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

2 minutes ago, EXODUS said:

Yeah, it has happened with Lana, Charli and even Ellie Goulding. 

It really makes me think that Marina is the one with the problems, she comes up to me as someone who is trying to do the right things all the time but as with any other person sometimes her bad side gets the best of her. 

Maybe she's just someone hard to have a relationship with, and that's alright, not everyone can be as easy going (or easy to make friends) like Charli. 

She's a person just like me and you, after all. 

yeah i wasn't trying to criticize her or anything but it HAS happened and it's better to accept that nobody's perfect than to pretend they are :true:

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

55 minutes ago, the ocean said:

yeah i wasn't trying to criticize her or anything but it HAS happened and it's better to accept that nobody's perfect than to pretend they are :true:

Yup yup you're right ☺ 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

I dont think ADIAML sounds inauthentic because she's not keeping all the women she befriends in her life and empowering them.

I could be wrong but I think that the album sounds kinda inauthentic because this direction didn't come to her organically. She mentioned that she pushed herself to go in a crazier direction after L+F because of the fans. Maybe after the serious lack of success of that album, she felt pressured to go back to that wilder sound for some success. In my opinion, an artist's work is usually at its best when the sounds and themes come naturally, not by actively trying to do this or that. Because of that, I feel like ADIAML is lacking a lot of depth compared to other albums in her discography (I can't speak on L+F because I've only listen to it once 💀).

With songwriters (especially Marina), you can really tell when they’re in their feels about a topic and when they’ve just gone “what should I write about? Maybe this thing. What should I say?”. For example, if you were to listen to happy, you can just tell that the song meant a lot to her and came straight from her heart. There’s a lot of depth and emotion there. Compare that to happy loner and it just seems shallow even though I’m sure that it is still a personal truth for Marina. It’s obviously harder to be imaginative when you’ve plucked an idea out of thin air as opposed to finding inspiration and running with it.

I do think this album is a massive step up from L+F and I do enjoy a lot of songs from it. There's just so much untapped potential there

Spoiler

Plus she lives in LA and most people (especially celebs) that go there become completely out of touch social justice warriors. Not saying that she is but sometimes her attitude definitely slips into that category

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

Marina is "like no other girls" since day one and she's always contradicting herself. I'm still shocked that she fired her manager when she was on maternity leave, but I don't think that she hates Lana or other successful female singers 

I haven’t kept up with Marina since L+F, that era I fell in love with her first three albums, heard L+F and then almost as quickly as I got into her I fell back out again. I liked Man’s World, didn’t listen to Purge The Poison, and have yet to listen to the album. I feel like she’s a bit confused artistically at the moment, which is okay, but I don’t think her work is going to ever reach FROOT, TFJ or Electra Heart levels again, or at least not for a while. Maybe I’ll give the new album a try, but yeah her lyrics from what I’ve read and heard after Froot have become stale and cringe. Her social media presence confuses me too. Haven’t listened to her in a while, but The Family Jewels is still one of my favourite albums ever and I might go and listen to it later :oic3:

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

22 minutes ago, yourboy said:

Random question:

I saw on Marina wiki that Happy Loner audio video is an alt mix, but what is the difference between the album version and the audio video?

Different instrumental and reverb

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy

2 hours ago, Cherry Blossom said:

The Family Jewels is still one of my favourite albums ever and I might go and listen to it later

do it

literally a masterpiece :true:

in fact about to listen to are you satisfied? THE BEST SONG SHE HAS EVER RELEASED (besides froot and teen idle :hooker:)

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

Just now, the ocean said:

do it

literally a masterpiece :true:

in fact about to listen to are you satisfied? THE BEST SONG SHE HAS EVER RELEASED (besides froot and teen idle :hooker:)

AYS? Will always be one of my favourite songs, purely because of the Its my fault if i have no friends and feel i want to die line

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

She could make a MV for Pink Convertible where she drives her pink car and everything is burning and falling apart around her. 

That's the vibe I get from the lyrics :smokes:

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif

40 minutes ago, PeroxidePrincess said:

She could make a MV for Pink Convertible where she drives her pink car and everything is burning and falling apart around her. 

That's the vibe I get from the lyrics :smokes:

No bc y'all would call it kinda boring :smokes:

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

I tried re-arranging the tracklist with the deluxe tracks:

Spoiler

1. Flowers
2. ADIAML
3. New America
4. Happy Loner
5. Highly Emotional People
6. Venus Fly Trap
7. Purge The Poison
8. Pandora's Box
9. Man's World
10. Pink Convertible
11. Free Woman (Deleted it from mine tho :sass:)
12. ILYBILMM
13. Goodbye

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

On 1/8/2022 at 9:29 AM, Cherry Blossom said:

AYS? Will always be one of my favourite songs, purely because of the Its my fault if i have no friends and feel i want to die line

Now, that's a line that comes very honest and I fucking adore it. 

That's the Marina that made me a Stan during her first three albums. 

Now, I just "like a lot" the Marina from her latest two albums, but I'm not crazy about her as I used to be. 

On 1/8/2022 at 11:17 AM, Townie said:

I tried re-arranging the tracklist with the deluxe tracks:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Flowers
2. ADIAML
3. New America
4. Happy Loner
5. Highly Emotional People
6. Venus Fly Trap
7. Purge The Poison
8. Pandora's Box
9. Man's World
10. Pink Convertible
11. Free Woman (Deleted it from mine tho :sass:)
12. ILYBILMM
13. Goodbye

It's way different from mine, I guess I'll give this a try! I'm using:

1. Ancient Dreams In a Modern Land
  2. Venus Fly Trap
  3. Man's World
  4. Purge the Poison
  5. New America
  6. Pink Convertible
  7. Pandora's Box
  8. Happy Loner
  9. I Love You But I Love Me More