Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

10 years, how time flies. Lots of emotion here. Every time I listen to EH, I hear an album where Marina is a great actress. Each song stands out from each other, they each take us into a different dimension, a piece of film that we can shape endlessly with our imagination.ย :hooker:

I really liked that she interpreted this role to perfection, to move in the body of a fallen girl with Hollywood dreams and to do it so well is not given to everyone. Electra heart could be a movie as it is well done. This album is a real jewel, of a high quality. It is not exceeded, it still sounds fresh 10 years later.ย :party:
Shame on the media who boycotted Marina on her appearance and they didn't understand the meaning of her album which is not superficial, but on the contrary is written with such sincerity, truth that we perceive the emotions on each song . It will have cradled millions of people and given so many memories, sad or happy, I could never erase it. And the aesthetics ah so beautiful.ย :defeated:

ย 

Happy that she recognizes this album despite the difficult promotion it received and the bad memories it left in her. It is finally recognized and appreciated at its fair value.
She deserves so much!!! One day we will have all the unreleased, a remastering of Miss Y and so many others โ™ฅ
Thank you Marina for what you gave us, and you haven't forgotten us, unlike some who preferred to sell us covers of ugly paintings for the 10th anniversary of an important album ------>ย :illumilana2:ย  <------

ย 

And a parenthesis on ADIAM, I found Marina active and devoted to her project. The album is very good even if some texts are squeaky, she was great in giving nice little clips, very beautiful outfits, songs to perfection, her proximity to the fans, the concerts (the concert in the desert was incredible, this sound and this professionalism!!) too bad he is not loved, I know heย will find the respect heย deserves in a few years. She doesn't have a lot of budget and we can see the perfection and the investment, I hope she will continue her next era with the same state of mind.ย :wub:

great write up of EH for its anniversary

(though i always wish critics would talk more about her ability to use her soaring up and down vocals to create aural drama):ย https://www.stereogum.com/2184312/marina-and-the-diamonds-electra-heart-turns-10/reviews/the-anniversary/

aOaIzH2.gif

1 minute ago, konnichiwalski said:

I wish we could get some re-reviews from a bunch of the publications that reviewed the album originally because that metacritic score is truly criminal.

i read this as:

2 minutes ago, konnichiwalski said:

I wish we could get some re-reviews from a bunch of the republicans that reviewed the album originally because that metacritic score is truly criminal.

:oic2:

On 4/27/2022 at 1:06 AM, Sky Ferreira said:

since weย arent getting them on theย album i decided to remaster scabย and plasterย and miss yย 

ย 

miss y:ย https://dbree.org/v/fabfb3

scabย and plaster:ย https://dbree.org/v/268240

could you reupload these pls, i can't access them

this is literally a chance to put THE ARCHETYPES & SU-BARBIE-A in the album as interludes connecting to "The State of Dreaming" & "Valley of the Dolls"

she better do it.

@WHORE OF TROPICO ย  โ‡จ ย  @SALVAWHOREย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย 

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFsย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon โ€” ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

ย 

3 hours ago, Pale Blue Light said:

ย 

Remember in 2012 when she said she wanted to do an exhibition with all the videos and photos...ย 

And then all she did was drag out 4 things from past eras for people to walk past at the M&G on the Neon Nature Tour or was that L+Fย :toofloppy:

BzhmW.png

4 hours ago, rightofjupiter said:

great write up of EH for its anniversary

(though i always wish critics would talk more about her ability to use her soaring up and down vocals to create aural drama):ย https://www.stereogum.com/2184312/marina-and-the-diamonds-electra-heart-turns-10/reviews/the-anniversary/

ย 

Thanks forย sharing this! Even the start ofย the article itself is brilliant.ย 

It makes me realise that while EH and BTD are both part of the 2012 2013 tumblr depression grunge blah blah era, EH was actually MUCHย more in your face with the suicide, I wanna be skinny, "I will romanticise every bad thing".ย 

Tbh tho I've never read reviews about Marinas work tho, so maybe I just missed her acknowledgement till now.

I don't want to start this whole discussion believe me so dont come at me, but I'm also realising how much more unfairly Lana has been treated because of her lyrics when Marina literally glamorised edsย :toofunny:ย 

It's refreshingย for once to see an article written by someone who WAS in the thick of that era, and speaks from the experience of how they saw it, not just some older millennial white woman claiming that such an album destroyed our generations selfworth or some shit.ย 

ย 

Love this part especially

"It is a space of solidarity for women because there was nothing I or my fellow teenage girls on Tumblr could do but laugh and revel in our own mess and madness, shedding the inherent shame, guilt, insecurity, and negativity that comes with being a young woman."

i guess i'm the only person who isn't mad about the tracklistย :awkney:

i wish just desserts was on it as well tho and removing some tracks from the vinyl is... a choice! :lolliney:

but at least the album is getting repressed after being out of print for yearsย 

ย ย โ†€ย ย โŸกย  ย last.fm

56 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

I'm also realising how much more unfairly Lana has been treated because of her lyrics when Marina literally glamorised eds

ย 

glad you enjoyed the article was much as i did!

ย 

i do think marina was better at packaging her lyrics as obvious satires/critiques of these issuesโ€“ there was a wink/humor to marina's delivery that lana never had (though of course lana did not deserve the shit show she got from the press!).ย their points of views wereย very different, despite the fact that they dealt with some similar themes in their albums.ย 

aOaIzH2.gif

I'm aware we're "celebrating" and talking about Electra but sometimes I feel like Forget doesn't get the lyrical appreciation it deservesย 

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"ย ย :makeup:

12 hours ago, Pale Blue Light said:

ย 

Remember in 2012 when she said she wanted to do an exhibition with all the videos and photos...ย 

yes, and then she wanted to release a full package of all electra heart songs and she had an opportunity for that today and did not, let alone heartcoreย :eyeroll3:

reading anything from her would be interesting, though. her marinabook was not my cup of tea but I can feel her writing something for the wider audience when she's older for sure.

original.gif

7 hours ago, viktoria said:

i guess i'm the only person who isn't mad about the tracklistย :awkney:

i wish just desserts was on it as well tho and removing some tracks from the vinyl is... a choice! :lolliney:

but at least the album is getting repressed after being out of print for yearsย 

ย 

it's basically the tracklist i've been using for years.

:rollin:

but honestly, i'm glad that EH and EVOL are getting a physical release. i wonder if EH will just be the demo version of the version Beta actually finished.

It would be nice to finally get a thorough album review that would do justice to our beloved Electra Heart. I kinda feel like everyone misses the whole social commentary, the cultural inspirations,ย and the Greek mythology references. Everyone seems to focus merely on its impact on teenage girls and Tumblr now (still better than the 2012 omg-she-changed-her-sound-and-it's-atrociousย rhethoric), while the amount of thought taken to developing this concept album is insane. This record does already feel like reading a book and I still cannot comprehend why Marina's so reluctant to prove her point; I know she was devastated after commercial failure and critics' flashback, but she should've seen themย coming. The Metacritic score is a crime on humanity and proves that patriarchic society we live in was not ready for that and seems not to be to this very day. I have no words for the people who praised Charli XCX's Crash but hated Marina for her sellout persona invented a decade earlier. Hypocrates.

original.gif