Jump to content
Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

It would be nice to finally get a thorough album review that would do justice to our beloved Electra Heart. I kinda feel like everyone misses the whole social commentary, the cultural inspirations, and the Greek mythology references. Everyone seems to focus merely on its impact on teenage girls and Tumblr now (still better than the 2012 omg-she-changed-her-sound-and-it's-atrocious rhethoric), while the amount of thought taken to developing this concept album is insane. This record is already like reading a book and I still cannot comprehend why Marina's so reluctant to prove her point; I know she was devastated after commercial failure and critics' flashback, but she should've seen them coming. The Metacritic score is a crime on humanity and proves that patriarchic society we live in was not ready for that and seems not to be to this very day. I have no words for the people who praised Charli XCX's Crash but hated Marina for her sellout persona invented a decade earlier. Hypocrates.

 

I honestly don't blame the critics for not getting EH because a lot of people, even her own fans, have different views of what EH is supposed to mean.

 

Like, you say it's her "sellout persona" but Marina always described her as:

 

Quote

Electra Heart isn't an alter ego, it’s kind of basically a vehicle to portray part of the American dream, with elements of Greek tragedy

 

IMHO Marina herself didn't have a clear cut idea of what she wanted to portray, mainly because of the die Life/EH merge, so it's understandable that the critics didn't either. Although a lot of it was definitely sexism

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Life said:

 

it's basically the tracklist i've been using for years.

:rollin:

but honestly, i'm glad that EH and EVOL are getting a physical release. i wonder if EH will just be the demo version of the version Beta actually finished.

 

the final version she did god damn use.

:rollin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way this release is for the G.P & the tiktok kids who just got into MARINA universe basically. Because the only new thing about it was the holographic font album cover.

Well, at least our gurl E.V.O.L is on streaming platforms now after 10+ years.


                                                    Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

Dance me all around the moon

Light me up like the Fourth of July

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Veinsineon said:

i feel kinda let down

Me too 

 

She could've done a lot for the 10th anniversary of her two first albums, but she just doesn't care about her fans and money. 

 

She could've added Bad Kidz and Jealousy in TFJ and also added Just Desserts, Miss Y and Scab and Plaster to EH. 


Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Whore of Tropico said:

The way this release is for the G.P & the tiktok kids who just got into MARINA universe basically. Because the only new thing about it was the holographic font album cover.

Well, at least our gurl E.V.O.L is on streaming platforms now after 10+ years.

It was officially on streaming for a while before she randomly pulled it


tumblr_m9qygi5S6s1rdc44xo1_500.gif


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, eyelovelefteye said:

It was officially on streaming for a while before she randomly pulled it

 

As far as I remember, her label didn't upload EVOL officially, it was a fan who did it.

The same happened once with Just Desserts and Electra Heart, someone random uploaded it to Spotify lol it didn't last long.

 

Just like someone uploaded Sculpture and other songs by Allie X without her or her label permission. 


Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2022 at 11:34 AM, vrtvie said:

It would be nice to finally get a thorough album review that would do justice to our beloved Electra Heart. I kinda feel like everyone misses the whole social commentary, the cultural inspirations, and the Greek mythology references. Everyone seems to focus merely on its impact on teenage girls and Tumblr now (still better than the 2012 omg-she-changed-her-sound-and-it's-atrocious rhethoric), while the amount of thought taken to developing this concept album is insane. This record does already feel like reading a book and I still cannot comprehend why Marina's so reluctant to prove her point; I know she was devastated after commercial failure and critics' flashback, but she should've seen them coming. The Metacritic score is a crime on humanity and proves that patriarchic society we live in was not ready for that and seems not to be to this very day. I have no words for the people who praised Charli XCX's Crash but hated Marina for her sellout persona invented a decade earlier. Hypocrates.

Crash’s concept was messy, I see your point but it’s hard to link the two as Marina was much more thorough with her portraying examples of women idolised by society but also demeaned for the very traits that are idolised-e.g.The teen idol being celebrated for her provocative behaviour but also being shamed as a whore. 
 

I see where it can be confusing but I think the album speaks for itself.


Charli just made a decent pop record with a great aesthetic and some posts about labels+the devil-the two are totally different.

 

on the other hand I can see why some would hate Electra heart sonically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Crash’s concept was messy, I see your point but it’s hard to link the two as Marina was much more thorough with her portraying examples of women idolised by society but also demeaned for the very traits that are idolised-e.g.The teen idol being celebrated for her provocative behaviour but also being shamed as a whore. 
 

I see where it can be confusing but I think the album speaks for itself.


Charli just made a decent pop record with a great aesthetic and some posts about labels+the devil-the two are totally different.

 

on the other hand I can see why some would hate Electra heart sonically.

 

IMO the whole Crash being a concept album about the popstar was all smoke and mirrors, literally not one song referred to it, no reference to the deal with the devil, the evil pop star, etc. just an 80s inspired dance album 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlottexseax said:

 

IMO the whole Crash being a concept album about the popstar was all smoke and mirrors, literally not one song referred to it, no reference to the deal with the devil, the evil pop star, etc. just an 80s inspired dance album 

Agreed. My point was that it got critical acclaim, with what you said now -- even despite little concept to it. But it's not only about it; Charli did change her sound to appeal general public, and people hated Marina for doing the same thing a decade earlier.


original.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it me or EVOL sounds way way better than the version we had all these years? <3


Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

can someone pls upload evol album version

 

mod note: user has been warned for this post

Edited by admin
Requesting illegal download links to copyrighted material that has been commercially released through streaming and purchase is not allowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...