Make me your Dream Life

The Lanaboards Wholesome/ Meaningful Listening Thread

I can't be the only one that feels a close para-social sentiment towards Lana's music, and so I wanted to cultivate a kind of safe space where we can share/ or even just talk about (even to/ for our own selves) the listening experiences we've had around Lana's music, and the impact it might have/ t've had for us. 

I had a long day and I usually just push myself (it also makes for good sleep), so towards nighttime, Lana's music has been a calming atmosphere when I don't want or really need something as aggressively stimulating. It's just the right amount of many things. 

I've mentioned this before also, in how some of Lana's music just happened to be released in times of my life, where I'd be experiencing similar things, and being much to myself most of the time, having her music accompany thru similar circumstances really helped me recharge, and ultimately, heal. 

I understand that many parts of the forum won't want to share these sort of things, but I thought it might be a nice space to have every once in a while. 

Share some moments you feel comfortable sharing around Lana's music and those moments if you wanted to below. 

UV/Honeymoon

when nfr came out i listened to it while sitting in the dark and i still remember how i felt during a lot of it. had to stop for like half an hour after love song because i couldnt stop weeping for personal reasons :crai:  i've only listened to it a handful of times because that still happens every time lol. a moment.

29 minutes ago, Brow Bone said:

Share some moments you feel comfortable sharing around Lana's music and those moments if you wanted to below. 

I really enjoyed reading your post, and this is such a neat prompt for a thread (also general content warning for potentially sensitive content :)) also I had an edible & am feeling open so lol

It’s honestly funny to me now, but I remember hearing NFR in full and feeling shocked at how much it was mirroring my life. 

Like, my exactly 6’2”, eccentric, and emotionally immature musician ex (NFR) had just cheated on me and abruptly decided to permanently leave the US to further his musical career in music despite it being the demise of our relationship (California and TNBAR—the demo, mostly) and left a public letter addressed to me about his mental health because of our breakup (California), but I never responded to it….and the fact that he worked as a bartender to save up for his move. I have to laugh:ma:

Truthfully, my mental health was fairly awful before the breakup even happened (The Bell Jar was my comfort book lmfao), but not long after it, I met my current fiancé, and I finally began feeling “hope” despite my circumstances. Shortly after, Love Song came on in a late-night car ride with him, and I’ll probably always think of that night when I hear it. The rest is history :) 

so excited to see where her music is headed next!!!

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

It's so interesting to read your thoughts on this! I'm super glad I'm on a site where I can freely express what I feel towards Lana. I've been on here since 2017 and it's beautiful. Anyways:

Every time I listen to Born to Die, I remember the first time I listened to it. It was 2012 and a girl from my school sent me the video link through Facebook DMs and it was so beautiful. I was mesmerized. She sounded like nothing I had ever heard and she looked like the most beautiful woman in the world :bliss:, her gesture, her elegance, the expression in her eyes. I fell in love with her music and lyrics and with the English language in general because of this song.

It's still the first song I put on when I want to listen to Lana and there are no words to explain what she has made me feel through these ten years of admiration. I remember when she came to my country the first time and I couldn't attend and I sobbed and sobbed, I was so sad.

When she was about to drop LFL, I was in a very toxic relationship and my ex also made fun of me for loving Lana... That made me very self conscious about my love for her and he made me feel stupid because of it. We broke up right after Lust for Life dropped so she was my companion through that time.

Truth is, her music has been by my side during my teenage years and now in my adulthood and I look at her and think that if she can go through life while experiencing those thoughts and moods she talks about in her music, I can go through mine; it feels weird because I've taken her words as mirrors and advice and as mottos and... :judgingu3: anyways, it's nice to see her grow and when I look back in time I get all emotional because I also have a parasocial relationship with her and it's funny because she's closer to my mom's age than she is to mine.  

tumblr_inline_qhw6etIHor1wxgybj_500.gif

last.fm: dope_n_diamonds // twitter: lovinglydelrey

On 8/11/2022 at 12:36 AM, Brow Bone said:

listening to NFR while driving in so cal really does hit different– cruising through malibu and santa monica, windows down, blasting that album has been a top-tier lana experience for me every time (grew up in so cal so there often). NFR is truly in pantheon of iconic california albums.

i have also listened to the violet audiobook at the beach a few times, audio low enough to hear the waves the whole time, and that has been extremely heavenly, like living on another planet for a little while.

i've written about this here before but i got back into lana (after falling off after UV) the spring i was living in italy and i've never felt so glamorous as while walking through the uffizi in florence with HM, LFL, and hope is a dangerous thing on a loop. those albums/songs really remind me of that time in my life now in such a delicious, warm, baroquely melancholy way. 

chemtrails (top 3 lana album for me) was such a huge part of the first year of the pandemic. i am so grateful to it for giving me a space to really think about my life and where i've been and want to go, and it make days that were filled with so much uncertainty and fear into rituals of domesticity that were made comforting and more magical through association w the album and its biggest questions/concerns. specifically i remember driving through rural counties, all rolling green land and cows, with the windows down, singing along, during my drives a local park where i'd go on hikes.

aOaIzH2.gif

this is a great thread idea! :heart:

i honestly have so many memories, wholesome moments and notable listening experiences involving lana's music! i'll do bulletpoints for a few i guess - i'll try not to do too many or else this will go on forever

• one of my favourites was many years ago back not long after BTD dropped i'd downloaded all of the available unreleased LDR onto my ipod. i was walking home from school; it'd closed early bc it snowed suuuuper hard. i was walking thru the big park that was near my childhood home (where i lived at the time of course) with lana's unreleased on shuffle - what i remember most vividly is listening to Driving In Cars With Boys while walking thru the beautiful snow, super happy that i'd managed to get out of school early (because that's the best feeling in the world when you're like 14 :omfg2:) and thinking "god, i love this song!" hahaha. it felt perfect too because DICWB always had a wintery feel for me, i guess bc of the bells in the song? so the joy of being in that setting with a song so fitting combined with the happiness of getting out of school and heading home makes it such a special memory for me. funnily enough i then went home and downloaded dozens of albums of lana photos onto my laptop, specifically from the lizzy grant era - i just loved looking at her, i found her mesmerising and i was so inspired just by looking at her :flutter:

• i was in the car on the way to my bestie's house [it was the day before her birthday!] when West Coast premiered on the radio; i remember being SO fucking amazed, i recall describing it to my friends as "like lana, red hot chilli peppers and alt-j all combined!" i was soooo pumped! needless to say we spent the day with it on repeat. i remember the weather being so lovely and sunshiney, i was 15 years old and totally obsessed, i honestly think that song informed so much of my life and its crazy to think it all stemmed from that moment.

• more recently, the day Blue Banisters dropped i'd been working. i usually finish at 11pm but i managed to finish at 9pm that night, so that i could go home and have a full listen through with my bestie then go out and get drunk. we did exactly that, we loved the album (bestie cried soooo hard at Cherry Blossom, she doesn't really listened to unreleased lana) and then after we'd had a few drinks we headed out to the club at the bottom of my street. we spent a lot of that night in the smoking area talking to people aaaaand.... that night i happened to meet someone who very soon after became my boyfriend :flutter: we're still together and whenever i listen to BB i'm always thinking about how glad i am that he just so happened to be in the same club as me that night. crazy to think that in october we will have been together a whole year! (minus one little 2-day break up we had :rip:) i will forever associate this album with our relationship! (so when we do break up properly i'm screwed, i'll never be able to listen to it again LOL)

Wq9zHLl.jpg