Sign in to follow this  
baddisease

New Zealand PM says no republic plan following queen's death

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Monday that her government will not pursue any moves to change the country into a republic following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

Ardern said she thought New Zealand will eventually become a republic, and it would probably happen within her lifetime, but that there were more pressing issues for her government.

The remarks were her first about the New Zealand republic debate since the queen's death, and reflect previous comments she has made on the issue. Ardern has also previously expressed her support for the country eventually becoming a republic.

Under the current system, the British monarch is New Zealand's head of state, represented in New Zealand by a governor-general. The governor-general's role these days is considered primarily ceremonial.

Still, many people argue that New Zealand won't fully step out from the shadows of its colonialist past and become a truly independent nation until it becomes a republic.

“There's been a debate, probably for a number of years,” Ardern said. "It's just the pace, and how widely that debate is occurring. I've made my view plain many times. I do believe that is where New Zealand will head, in time. I believe it is likely to occur in my lifetime.

“But I don't see it as a short-term measure or anything that is on the agenda any time soon,” Ardern said.

New Zealand PM says no republic plan following queen's death (msn.com)

giphy.gif

Australia had a referendum about it in the 90s but people said no because the stipulation was that the current politicians got to choose the president

And we are supposed to have another referendum soon about an Indigenous Voice in parliament (which will be really cringe when all the racist fuckwits vote no) and I don't see why we couldn't put a question on about being a republic at the same time

Unfortunately becoming a republic is really expensive because you have to change everything from coins to flags, etc

On a personal level, I don't really care, because I don't care about the royal family and it makes no difference to me which one of them is in charge, but it's a very contentious and important issue for others for various reasons

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I think independence is the direction every country involved is headed. It just doesn't make sense anymore.

I wonder how long the "old" UK will exist. I think more and more Scottish people want independence too because they'd rather be in the EU and only had to leave because of their dependence. Imagine if they actually got out of the UK. That'd be such a historical moment.

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible