Elle

Snow on the Beach (featuring More Lana Del Rey) to be released on Taylor Swift's 'Midnights' (Til Dawn Edition) - OUT NOW

1 minute ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

I don’t necessarily see a Taylor collab as Β« exposure Β», rather than an secure hit, which would certainly please Interscope without having to Β« compromise Β» the vision of the next album (as in: if the album does poorly, at least she still got big numbers out of that collab)

Β 

I completely understand your point, but idk. I feel like the label at this point is completely fine with her albums not making huge numbers because her fanbase is very solid

like she gets to release a 9 min song for a single, if her career and fanbase weren't solid enough that wouldn't have happened (I think).

I feel like lana doesn't need any of that anymore

1.jpgΒ  3.jpgΒ Β 2.jpgΒ 

3 minutes ago, Mer said:

given we can actually hear Lana’s vocals. Up until Phoebe Bridgers, Taylor’s female β€œcollaborators” were glorified background vocals.Β 
Β 

Also, recently,Β Taylor’s β€œlead” singles are the ones that pull the numbers (ATW10, Cardigan, Willow) and I’m not sure if she’ll ever make a collab a lead.Β 
Β 

I think this will be a deeper cut for the overlap of Taylor and Lana’s audiences (which is quite big in itself), but I’m not sure if this would be a radio hit or a streaming success.Β 

You’re totally right that we don’t know if that collab would be a hit or a single (or if even it exists at allΒ :gasp:), but I was simply basing it on the fact that Taylor is the biggest female singer and that unless the song is pure trash, even Β« casual streaming Β» (don’t think it’s a thing but you get the idea)Β of the song could get big numbersΒ 

3 minutes ago, prettywhenimhigh said:

Β 

I completely understand your point, but idk. I feel like the label at this point is completely fine with her albums not making huge numbers because her fanbase is very solid

like she gets to release a 9 min song for a single, if her career and fanbase weren't solid enough that wouldn't have happened (I think).

I feel like lana doesn't need any of that anymore

It’s a total mystery, how her company sees her, if she is Β« successful enough Β» in their mind. You could be totally right.

Β 

one thing is for sure, they probably consider her an oddball… and yet, she keeps on surprising everyone.

i imagine one big Zoom meeting of all the execs at Interscope, talking about future releases (or whatever happens in those meetings) and discussing LanaΒ Β : Β« Meanwhile, Lana is doing better than ever on Spotify without any new releases, no big social media presenceΒ and an album that wasn’t even top 5 last year » :omfg2:

1 hour ago, lanasbottom said:

wondering if i canΒ lose more respect for lana due to this possible collab than i did after qftc/the rest of 2020Β :flop:

what aΒ ridiculously stupidΒ thing to say, honestlyΒ 

Β 

1 hour ago, Mer said:

Also, recently,Β Taylor’s β€œlead” singles are the ones that pull the numbers (ATW10, Cardigan, Willow) and I’m not sure if she’ll ever make a collab a lead.Β 

Β also i get what you’re saying and i definitely don’t think a lana collab would be the lead butΒ :hooker:Β let’s not forget Lover’s lead single was a collab with… brendon urieΒ :biblio:Β so anythingsΒ possible really!

Just now, brandon said:

what a stupidly ridiculous thing to say, honestlyΒ 

Don’t see what’s stupid about not wanting yourΒ fav to workΒ with a fake and generic money machine who spent a big chunk of her career ripping off said fav but sureΒ :bye:

36 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

Don’t see what’s stupid about not wanting yourΒ fav to workΒ with a fake and generic money machine who spent a big chunk of her career ripping off said fav but sureΒ :bye:

lana did not even break onto the scene until 5-6 yearsΒ into taylor's career & other than "wildest dreams" & "cardigan" taylor has not evenΒ taken much inspiration from lana let alone rippedΒ her off. they have bothΒ taken inspiration from manyΒ of the same musicians throughout their careers like bob dylan, the beatles & fleetwood mac. being inspired by the same old musicians is not ripping each other off. many modern musicians look to the same old ones for inspiration. we can dislike another musician while still being civil. we would not like if someone made the same accusation about lana.

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

43 minutes ago, i talk to jesus said:

we can dislike another musician while still being civil. we would not like if someone made the same accusation about lana.

I feel similarly as well, and while Taylor’s artistry does have a large business influence, that really goes for most mainstream artists, including those Lana has worked with in the past. Also, although this is subjective, I’d argue that Swift’sΒ musicβ€”while generally easily digestible for the general publicβ€”hasn’t really beenΒ tooΒ generic asΒ of late.
Β 

Like, The Last Great American Dynasty by Swift, for instance,Β is pretty atypical content for both her discography and most pop music. She may not be my favorite artist ever, but sheβ€”in my opinionβ€”makes easily listenable music that often has intricately intertwinedΒ narratives if examined closely (particularly with her last few releases)…not to mention her lyricism for lastΒ 2 albumsΒ has beenΒ insanely specific.Β 

Β 

I also completely agree about the β€œripping off” part. I mean, it’s fairly normal (almost inevitable, really) for artists to borrow and repurpose elements of other musicians’ art. I mean, Lana’s influence on Taylor’s music is certainly there, but I’d argue there are only a handful of songs that mirror Lana’s. Not only that, but Lana’s artistry has strong tiesΒ to nostalgia and harkening back to the essence of different eras of music spawned from artists she admires. Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen are great examples of this.Β 

Β 

Even though I rarely like collabs, as long as the potential track turns out well, I don’t mind at all:smokes:

β€œβ€¦and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia PlathΒ 

Making a collab just to increase your own "success" is like selling your soulΒ  and Lana herself would probably never do something like that (and she doesn't need it). But it's true that both have a very similar style at the moment, which fits or could fit well together.

1 hour ago, brandon said:

also i get what you’re saying and i definitely don’t think a lana collab would be the lead butΒ :hooker:Β let’s not forget Lover’s lead single was a collab with… brendon urieΒ :biblio:Β so anythingsΒ possible really!

Taylor has been absolutely terrible at single choices since 1989Β so I would not be surprised if the she makes the rumored Ed Sheeran (:crossed:) collab a single rather than the Lana one

Β 

But you never know. Even if it's an album track, knowing Taylor, it's still gonna pull insane numbersΒ 

1 hour ago, i talk to jesus said:

lana did not even break onto the scene until 5-6 yearsΒ into taylor's career & other than "wildest dreams" & "cardigan" taylor has not evenΒ taken much inspiration from lana let alone rippedΒ her off. they have bothΒ taken inspiration from manyΒ of the same musicians throughout their careers like bob dylan, the beatles & fleetwood mac. being inspired by the same old musicians is not ripping each other off. many modern musicians look to the same old ones for inspiration. we can dislike another musician while still being civil. we would not like if someone made the same accusation about lana.

i mean making the same song, basically same chorus and production is kinda the definition of ripping someone off but even besides that Taylor is just peak fake, all around nasty on top of generic music wise, qualitiesΒ Lana really doesn’t need, she has her LA friends for thatΒ 

12 hours ago, sad angel forever said:

@lanasbottomΒ are you still here? Don't you have a hobby? Or a friend besideΒ Alexa? Why don't you join to your "lovely" BeyHives and share your "thoughts" thereΒ :oprah3:

Sure am bitch and you can stay madΒ :xgiggle:

why don’t you go pick up a grammarΒ book and mind your business newbieΒ :oprah3:

I would fucking cry OF PURE JOY. MY HEART WOULD SING. What a way to merge the bleeding universes of Lana and TSwizzle and the β€œcopycat beef” people have pushed for years

Β 

im here for it, pls let it happenΒ 

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />

Also adding I’ve noted over the years that Taylor’s collaborations with women are generally song writing and background vocals, whereas her male collaborators generally have a more prominent role in a song (generally beyond just a verse feature) but I think this is more to do with them fulfilling a more heteronormative role as a counterpart to Taylor - obviously sinceΒ she generally writes about her personal relationships. She did have a song on a RedTVΒ Β vaulted song with a female collaborator who had more of a prominent role in the song beyond just background vocals so there is always a chance Lana could be the same but I don’t know.Β Anyways I’m going off the track (HBTB)Β 

so TLDR: if there’s a Lana feature my guess is that it’s more of a songwriting collab and/or background vocals and harmonies

Β 

altho I would be lying if I said I don’t want a β€œBreaking Up Slowly” styled collab, or even β€œDance til we die” embrace that 60’s Nancy Sinatra jazz country gurls

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />