Surf Noir

Unpopular Music Opinions

1 minute ago, For K said:

I actually wanted to add onto this. I actually had been listening to Taylor Swift since 2009 and bought all her CDs and some merch until about 2013 when I got more into Lana and haven't really kept up. These past few weeks I have been paying attention to all the TS news since she announced Midnights and the whole thing seems... uncomfy to me. The whole idea of selling four of the exact same vinyl, an INSANE amount of merch, a few weeks later followed by an entire second round of holiday merch, the release of a million different remixes some of which you have to purchase, etc. 

The whole setup of Midnights has seemed like such an obvious money grab toward fans, especially younger fans, who absolutely adore her and will absolutely spend money they do not have just to support her, a multi-millionaire likely soon to be billionaire. Her silence regarding the entire ticket master fiasco, the fact that they didn't disable dynamic pricing, and not even to mention to fact that there are tickets being sold for over $100,000 right now online is extremely disappointing. The ticket master fiasco certainly is not all on Taylor but she hasn't issues any sort of apology or even at least attempted to console fans in any type of way who were literally bawling their eyes out online. The whole thing just gives me this yucky feeling and as somebody who once obsessed over her when I was younger and listened to her music religiously growing up it's really, really disappointing. At least from this side of things, I can tell she does like having special moments with fans and making them feel a part of her music but it just seems all kind've... orchestrated at this point. I still do enjoy Taylor's music and I really do think she has genuine passion for fans I think her love of amassing a ridiculous amount of wealth off the backs of fans is not only disappointing but borderline disturbing. 

I'm honestly just glad to have a favorite artist like Lana who has never really been interested in making herself a product to put on display and sell to people. Especially with her ending the deluxe version after ultra, saying she was interested in a digital-only release not too long ago, etc. it's obviously Lana has no interest in tithing us for cash at every possible turn. 

:gclap:Taylor Swift, the person is truly such a pathetic person. if you say any of this to any of her fans well you might as well die (in their eyes). they don't want to hear any critique about their kween.

8 minutes ago, letterblue said:

Taylor Swift isn't a good person at all, she's a money hungry self serving woman that doesn't care about her fans or the world at all. she just makes nice music.

i think that there's some genuineness to her persona within her music & the world surrounding it but when you go outside of the music i can absolutely agree that she's definitely... questionable :bebe: i still bought her album nn

edit: i should say that i'm not a swiftie just a casual fan

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

2 minutes ago, the ocean said:

i think that there's some genuineness to her persona within her music & the world surrounding it but when you go outside of the music i can absolutely agree that she's definitely... questionable :bebe: i still bought her album nn

That's where I'm at. I'll stream her music and always root for her to fuck over Scooter at ever possible turn because he absolutely deserves it but I just don't want to really buy merch or even physical copies of her music just because of how morally apprehensible her business practices are. I will still stream Taylor's version of everything though and keep listening, just more at a distance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886568b484a15c22227dc                                  

"Baby you my Bugsy Malone 

and I'm your Suicide Blonde"

last.fm

3 minutes ago, the ocean said:

i agree, there is definitely some. the meltdowns i witnessed about her ticket sales........i have to laugh. i'm a casual as well but claiming you won't be listening to her music anymore and it makes you look at her differently? :lmao: since when have we not been looking at Taylor Swift (the seller of remixes you could only buy, "limited edition" merch, countless versions of vinyl, etc.) as the person she is? it's not that deep for me. i'll never be able to form a parasocial relationship with any celebrity because i have a brain.

2 minutes ago, For K said:

That's where I'm at. I'll stream her music and always root for her to fuck over Scooter at ever possible turn because he absolutely deserves it but I just don't want to really buy merch or even physical copies of her music just because of how morally apprehensible her business practices are. I will still stream Taylor's version of everything though and keep listening, just more at a distance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Just now, letterblue said:

i agree, there is definitely some. the meltdowns i witnessed about her ticket sales........i have to laugh. i'm a casual as well but claiming you won't be listening to her music anymore and it makes you look at her differently? :lmao: since when have we not been looking at Taylor Swift (the seller of remixes you could only buy, "limited edition" merch, countless versions of vinyl, etc.) as the person she is? it's not that deep for me. i'll never be able to form a parasocial relationship with any celebrity because i have a brain.

yeah i bought one (1) singular CD of midnights at target and i will never touch her online store or any store with her name on it with a fifty foot pole - and i mainly bought the album to a mixture of a. liking the music and b. i already have most of her cds and they're very easy to get at target (aka the only decent new record store near me) so :bebe:
maybe having a multi-million budget pays off when you can sell cds at target :bebe:

but yeah overall i don't really get why people buy multiple copies of a single album and there is only one album i have ever done this with and no it is not taylor swift :true:

ooo i'll share some of mine!

• lee hazlewood gets nowhere remotely near enough credit as he deserves! he is one of the greats.

• this feels controversial to say as a gaga stan, but i think there's a lot of revisionist history surrounding ARTPOP. i love gaga and i genuinely fkn love ARTPOP but if we're being brutally honest.... with the exception of a few songs it wasn't particularly ahead of its time and im not sure where that narrative comes from. if anything, it was very *of* its time. EDM was the popular mainstream sound at that point, and i don't think it deviated too much from that blueprint aside from that it went a little harder on the sound (just my opinion!). the album deffo has kooky and weird moments (Aura is a straight up amazing acid trip, Venus was campy but not overly weird, G.U.Y. was also super camp with the spoken word parts) but i don't think it's anywhere near as experimental as people claim. that being said i still love the album!

• yung lean is ridiculously influential and his impact on the current music scene (so far as rappers and even hyperpop artists are concerned) will be recognised and maybe even studied one day. i also think he's an infinitely better artist than bladee - who i still love!

• the current y2k revival is getting a little boring for me! it borders on cosplay at some points :toofunny:

• i hate the anti-intellectualism stance that a lot of rap fans/hiphop fans are taking over the past few years, mocking artists like kendrick lamar or j cole for being conscious rappers and calling them "corny" or whatever... there's a place for silly non-serious lyricism but also a place for the opposite! also kendrick lamar will always be legendary but i'm not sure how unpopular that opinion is lmao

Wq9zHLl.jpg

i feel like i should be interested in some of taylor's music in theory but i don't think i'll ever bring myself to ever try to get into her music because i also just feel put off by it, and i know this is going to make me sound a certain way (not that i really care, though) but she's so mainstream and that also makes me feel even more disinterested :icant:

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

29 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

this feels controversial to say as a gaga stan, but i think there's a lot of revisionist history surrounding ARTPOP. i love gaga and i genuinely fkn love ARTPOP but if we're being brutally honest.... with the exception of a few songs it wasn't particularly ahead of its time and im not sure where that narrative comes from. if anything, it was very *of* its time. EDM was the popular mainstream sound at that point, and i don't think it deviated too much from that blueprint aside from that it went a little harder on the sound (just my opinion!). the album deffo has kooky and weird moments (Aura is a straight up amazing acid trip, Venus was campy but not overly weird, G.U.Y. was also super camp with the spoken word parts) but i don't think it's anywhere near as experimental as people claim. that being said i still love the album!

6f7f179326373ffd44304908fdd90c3c.gif

artpop is an objectively excellent album but it's also a 2013 pop album in essence and in practice and there is absolutely nothing wrong about that :true:
i think people just like to say it was ahead of its time to justify it flopping in their minds

6 minutes ago, godsmonster said:

ARTPOP certainly is not ahead of its time. And this comes from someone who loves ARTPOP. 

i agree. now BTW is a gaga album that's ahead of its time. it still sounds fresh to me.

20 minutes ago, the ocean said:

6f7f179326373ffd44304908fdd90c3c.gif

artpop is an objectively excellent album but it's also a 2013 pop album in essence and in practice and there is absolutely nothing wrong about that :true:
i think people just like to say it was ahead of its time to justify it flopping in their minds

so glad its not just me who feels this way omg!!

Wq9zHLl.jpg

BTW is way overhyped and tbh i feels like it’s because of nostalgia. certain tracks feel timeless like Scheiße but…

tbh a lot of pop music fans have no idea what they’re talking about when they say something is ahead of it’s time

and don’t get me started about “this should’ve been a massiv hit”/“this could’ve been a massive hit”:eartha2:

negAbhB.png

I agree with the ARTPOP thing tho I'd say that in my perception it really has that GAGA SPIN to it you know so I think that's also why people say it's ahead of time, because it does have a particular vibe to it that other early 2010's music doesn't have

edit: chromatica on the other hand feels bland and that it could've been some other gorl's album

I might be talking shit since I'm not a little monster, just a perception of my casual gaga listens

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

3 minutes ago, prettywhenimhigh said:

I agree with the ARTPOP thing tho I'd say that in my perception it really has that GAGA SPIN to it you know so I think that's also why people say it's ahead of time, because it does have a particular vibe to it that other early 2010's music doesn't have

edit: chromatica on the other hand feels bland and that it could've been some other gorl's album

I might be talking shit since I'm not a little monster, just a perception of my casual gaga listens

oh agreed, ARTPOP is Gaga type insane

negAbhB.png

it's weird to me that "dark horse" is katy's most-viewed video, it's not even her best song or even that great of a song in general! it didn't age well to me either, i was listening to some of her old hits last night (i know she's a bit controversial right now lol) it's interesting to reflect back and listen to these songs again, i was such a big fan when i was little, out of all of her songs/hits, i think teenage dream is the best, it's a song that i could see myself listening to regularly and seriously lol, i feel like katy's aesthetic for teenage dream was something special and it's a shame she didn't further evolve that sweet, soft, cheeky, candy-like pop-sound organically because i feel like her prism hits were very corporate (besides birthday cake i like that one lol) also, chained to the rhythm was so awkward to listen to because it's just so overtly politically but also still very vague, like, what is she even trying to say, really? also, it's just weird coming from a ridiculously famous pop artist who didn't express any interests in politics before, it just seemed so, fake, i guess, not saying that katy wasn't allowed to delve into politics but it didn't seem like it came from the heart, it was very surface-level, and as i said before, corporate 

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

7 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

it's weird to me that "dark horse" is katy's most-viewed video, it's not even her best song or even that great of a song in general! it didn't age well to me either

i hate that song. it's terrible.

Just now, letterblue said:

i hate that song. it's terrible.

still don't understand why it has 3+ billion views :derpna2: but then again, dance monkey is one of the most streamed songs on spotify of all time so i shouldn't expect much out of people :derpna2:

katy perry only has one album that is consistently good and that is teenage dream :true:

i know loving teenage dream isn't unpopular but saying that outside of that album she doesn't have that many good songs besides some great singles :hillary:

a little bit more unpopular