Surf Noir

Unpopular Music Opinions

25 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

omg I love Sean's contribution on TNC, I find his voice to be very peaceful which works perfectly for the track imo :crying4: & since the title is seemingly a play on The Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows & there's that bit about listening to Yoko n John in the bridge, it's cool Lana got their son on there

I 100% agree from an objective/artistic standpoint but it makes the song less streamable for me :eek:

tumblr-n02pmk-XHSH1rcgcl7o6-250.gif

13 hours ago, honeymoonave said:

Idk if this has been previously mentioned but I’m just not buying into the hype the band Wet Leg are getting atm. 

Their songs two biggest songs are catchy - but the catchiest parts are mostly references and I just feel like it’s not original for example 

Wet Dream - “here we go here we go here we go” is a really common chant in the UK - to the point I don’t even know it’s origins but I know the appropriate times to use it and it’s used widely 

Chaise Longue - “is your muffin buttered” Mean Girls 

Even when they won their Brit Award they quoted Alex Turner’s acceptance speech. 

It all just feels very recycled and unoriginal. 

No real hate to them tho, they’ve had massive success so fair play in that respect (with some thanks to TikTok) . But I just don’t get the hype and I won’t be trying to either. 

Also I’m not saying people can’t make references or quote things directly in music it’s just feels lazy from their pov especially as this is their debut and these are their biggest tracks 

I feel like they don't take themselves seriously and that's okay. Everyone expects rock music to have some clever lyrics but it's okay for lyrics to be brainless as long as the music is catchy. That is allowed in pop and hip hop so why do we have so much higher expectations for rock? I feel like they gained a lot of attention because they have no competition, not because their music is that good. I personally like their music. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

13 minutes ago, shady said:

I feel like they don't take themselves seriously and that's okay. Everyone expects rock music to have some clever lyrics but it's okay for lyrics to be brainless as long as the music is catchy. That is allowed in pop and hip hop so why do we have so much higher expectations for rock? I feel like they gained a lot of attention because they have no competition, not because their music is that good. I personally like their music. 

I see when you're coming from and I do believe brainless lyrics and catchy songs aren't exclusive to any genre - but my critique of the lyrics is more from the point that it's entirely lazy and unoriginal, they've just plucked one liners from culturally relevant things and actually I think even if the song was in pop or hip hop style it would get called out for that more. But because it's rocky/folky/indie style people are more accepting of it. 

In terms of competition, you're right to an extent there's nothing that's come out in the last year that's had the same sort of vibes, however, they're style is very reminiscent of First Aid Kit a Swedish folk/indie duo although I'm not saying they're directly copying them. 

They've also had the music used in advertisements and promos all over TV and social media so that's definitely helped draw in the gen pop. I have no real problems with the music, I do think it's catchy but just kinda lazy. 

#freetoedit #lana#lanadelrey#honeymoon

On 2/24/2023 at 3:39 AM, Luna de miel said:

Lana has a loot of exceptions to this tho, ex Beautiful People, Summer Wine, Riverside, all of her work with A$AP, to mention some

but songs like Breaking Up Slowly and Tomorrow Never Came would have been way better with only Lana :um3:

i agree with BUS (and i'm not a nikki hater i just think that their voices are way too different to really work together if that makes sense) but i think TNC works very well :true:

i can definitely understand why it's not for everyone though so i'm not trying to shit on your opinion :xgiggle:

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

I don't get the hype around Ice Spice. The only thing that made her stand out in my opinion is her hair. That song Boy's a Liar is also overrated. The rhyming is so bad that Pinkpantherness made up a whole new word that looks like liar but it's pronounced like leo. Ice's rap style in Boy's a Liar sounds like a random hoot cheeto girl tried rapping. The bar is in hell for pop music. 

17 hours ago, shady said:

I don't get the hype around Ice Spice. The only thing that made her stand out in my opinion is her hair. That song Boy's a Liar is also overrated. The rhyming is so bad that Pinkpantherness made up a whole new word that looks like liar but it's pronounced like leo. Ice's rap style in Boy's a Liar sounds like a random hoot cheeto girl tried rapping. The bar is in hell for pop music. 

I tought Ice Spice was a joke kinda like Bad Babhie was a few years ago but apparently people are liking her... :toofloppy: The solo Boy's a Liar is a BOP tho

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

On 3/4/2023 at 6:53 PM, Inferno Euphoria said:

I tought Ice Spice was a joke kinda like Bad Babhie was a few years ago but apparently people are liking her... :toofloppy: The solo Boy's a Liar is a BOP tho

Same, the first time I heard about her is in a video about how light skin rappers get away with doing the bare minimum and being thick. The Kardashians using her and their daughters for clout was so pathetic. They aren't cool with the teens anymore so their kids need to get to work cause nobody wants to work these days. 

Is not enjoying Ice Spice’s music really an unpopular opinion? I thought it was awful. Worse than Bad Bhadie, amateur SoundCloud rapper bad. I think people are only pretending to like it because she’s cute. 

:sluttybunny:🌧️

15 hours ago, shady said:

Same, the first time I heard about her is in a video about how light skin rappers get away with doing the bare minimum and being thick. The Kardashians using her and their daughters for clout was so pathetic. They aren't cool with the teens anymore so their kids need to get to work cause nobody wants to work these days. 

this ^^

pretty privilege is so real

9c2f159f3783d5d514e1aebcfad2d2ff.jpg

you're in the wind, i'm in the water, nobody's son, nobody's daughter... ౨ৎ·゚:*

I can't get into Ethel Cain's "American Teenager" at. all. :crossed: the lyrics are good but idk I just can't like it:lanasrs2:

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

Lady Gaga has been falling off hard since the Artpop era.

She had a slight rebound with Joanne, but she went back to making awful music again with Chromatica.

Maybe she should stick to her Jazz music.

ezgif-4-c4d1122435.gif

banner.png

suffer does the wolf crawling to thee

On 4/30/2023 at 6:37 PM, 13beachess said:

I can't get into Ethel Cain's "American Teenager" at. all. :crossed: the lyrics are good but idk I just can't like it:lanasrs2:

This but I can’t really get into any other song besides American Teenager her over-processed/autotuned vocals really bother me😭

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

6 minutes ago, taco truck said:

This but I can’t really get into any other song besides American Teenager her over-processed/autotuned vocals really bother me😭

I like the kind of moods she can create that way, it's giving Gregorian chorus but with just a single voice 

I would say American Teenager is not a typical Ethel Cain song