Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

Unpopular Opinion: I love the production, but vocal style is very similar to her last 2 albums. I don't want her to be very comfortable with one style and cling on to it in multiple projects. :bebe: Either way I'm looking forward to the album because I trust her process and I know she got something in store to satisfy all of us. :candy:

9 hours ago, Aberdeen Beauty Queen said:

I'm so confused about what the aesthetics of this era are

rn im getting being pouty, being an old movie star w loneliness as ur occupation, needing a cross on a hill or a hilton hotel, fear making u feel much younger than u are, the blue banisters leading to the most private room in the house n she's in a nightgown making confessions giphy.gif:monica:giphy.gif i also can't help but think she's making fun of the whole coquette aesthetic a bit

mUENGN9.png

7 minutes ago, Cherry Blossom said:

Lana has NEVER appealed to streaming, yet her work has continued to snowball in streams especially in the last year. 

I don’t believe Lana’s career is fragile enough for every new album to be a ‘make or break’ in terms of losing fans. 

While I may not adore some of her newer work, I know she’s making what she wants and telling her story and for that I’ll always be grateful and always listen. 

I am not sure why people come on here acting like they signed their life away to be a Lana fan and they can’t get out. No one is keeping you here. It does feel however that some people go into her newer work with a presumption (that may or may not be as a result of her change in aesthetics and appearance) that they won’t like it, and don’t even try to

beautifully said

cjRjPWT.gif          QODlvVl.gif.     

I love this new song...it makes me so emotional😭

And really people should already let go this "Lana now doesn't know how to make music" and bla bla bla and comparing her older works to new . She makes music first of first FOR HERSELF, and then for her fans. She's expressing her feelings and thoughts. She doesn't have to replicate 100 albums with the same style of UV or BTD. She has grown up, she's more mature,more poetic,she won't sing the same shit over and over again just to earn some kids's appreciation. If you like her new songs,good for you. If not,good for you too,noone forces you to listen to her new "boring" stuff. Just get over it and don't hate on her for being herself.:peace:

I raised streaming numbers to make a point to show Lana current relationship with the general public. Not to validate my own taste wtf. I don’t need anybody’s validation. I know what I like.

I’m literally pointing out that she’s divorcing herself further and further into a small niche over having general appeal making this type music consistently. You can’t sit here and tell me she doesn’t want her music to be heard by a lot of people? Like why is she doing a million covers and still with a big label, like be serious? She’s in the music BUSINESS. She wants big NUMBERS. You can be delulu and think otherwise but her actions say differently.

Just like some of her fans pretending she doesn’t care about critics, but she probably read every reviews and responded interestingly many times.

or “she doesn’t care about the Grammys”….”she’s above the Grammys” when Lana herself tried her best to get one with NFR. Canoodling with those Grammys institute students and doing the Grammy museum tours right when the voting for nominations opened.

Y’all think she did this for free and for the arts?

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_489097578.png

Be serious.

This is a good point,but i don't think if she'd want big success and big numbers she would do stuff like UV and BTD again , but the question is, would she like what she made? Like if UV kinda production and lyrics no longer suits her music ideas and melodies, she'll do something similar,will she stay true to herself? Will she put a soul into her music this way? Express herself? 

1 minute ago, Golden Hour said:
  Hide contents

Is the SYML collab really just the instrumental of "I Want to Leave" or where did that start?

It is. Boz confirmed it samples the piano from the song.

giphy.gif

i'm still taking in the song/ processing but from listening, 

there's a similarity to IYLDWM at the intro
thematically, it's like a thinner cold air sister track to Hope 
has that airy feel/ atmosphere like bb's title track 
there's an anthemic quality that's reminiscent to a race, sim to BTD
fuck me to death just intuitively feels like paradise 
camarillo ref makes me think of yayo 

themes of self-consoling, acceptance, tiredness, tired longing 

the vocal run towards the end reminding me of mariah 

what i love about it that i can grasp into words atm is the fluttering quality of the song (hiab ref in feel), but just the honesty that makes it's way thru despite apparent bleakness the song sets. the vulnerability after a quest's been completed, or like a drive back home after a long period 

UV/Honeymoon

23 hours ago, Xenoblade 3 said:

I raised streaming numbers to make a point to show Lana current relationship with the general public. Not to validate my own taste wtf. I don’t need anybody’s validation. I know what I like.

I’m literally pointing out that she’s divorcing herself further and further into a small niche over having general appeal making this type music consistently. You can’t sit here and tell me she doesn’t want her music to be heard by a lot of people? Like why is she doing a million covers and still with a big label, like be serious? She’s in the music BUSINESS. She wants big NUMBERS. You can be delulu and think otherwise but her actions say differently.

Just like some of her fans pretending she doesn’t care about critics, but she probably read every review and responded interestingly many times.

or “she doesn’t care about the Grammys”….”she’s above the Grammys” when Lana herself tried her best to get one with NFR. Canoodling with those Grammys institute students and doing the Grammy museum tours right when the voting for nominations opened.

Y’all think she did this for free and for the arts?

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_489097578.png

Be serious.

Yeah, you have a point that anyone who places themselves in the business of music obviously wants a platform and wants to perform well on that platform -- but she already does. Over the last few years I have only seen Lana's fanbase grow thanks to streaming/things like Tik Tok. Heaps of people are discovering Lana everyday from a new trend on Tik Tok or an unreleased song gaining traction, whatever. If they tune in and find out they only like BTD or UV, great, that is always there for them to listen to then -- and they will probably! I don't think that she or anyone should be worried about her fanbase "shrinking" due to her sound.

Also, I think that the argument that she "doesn't care" about sales isn't that she would sell 10 copies and shrug it off, but rather that she's happy she has people who do love her music and the actual numbers of that success is secondary to that. 

8V7Yvel.png

i kinda also wanted to say, for what the rest of the world sorta worships of the male ego/ destruction and dominating ie negative parts of divine masc. lana's a kind of solace and haven for things that people might not wanna talk about. unpop opinion and maybe possible *trigger warning* but there are difficult conversations that need and should be had about mental health, and this track's in a way, a kind of breath of fresh air of singing something similar/ around that. 

normally, it's kinda too quick to be talking about that, but sim to BTD's counter approach to songwriting from empowering pop, she makes being vulnerable be ok. there's a poetry in how some of her songs can sound melancholy, but in a way, it can also be liberating and consoling from a relative pov. 

this song's magic, and it's making me fall in love with her as an artist all over again. 

UV/Honeymoon

No offence but the way some of you talk about her old stuff makes it seem like you have no actual grasp on her sound or style :toofunny:

I'm willing to bet most of you need a refresher and havent actually listened to say UV or HM  or hell even NFR in a while and are just parroting the most common ways those albums get described

Get a grip

Anyways, March 10th cant come quick enough. I kinda dont want her to put other songs out before that though

32 minutes ago, ByDayAnother said:

I think the time to let go of charts and streams and figures was some time ago now.

Exactly, that time of her career is over. It’s been 10 years, she’s not too far from 40 years old realistically, she is now a legacy act with a solidified fanbase. She’s the IT girl of years ago, what she gets now is good debut numbers, healthy streams and being able to tour pretty much for the rest of her career. Some artists should be so lucky.

1 hour ago, Xenoblade 3 said:

The way I was optimistic that she was going to take advantage of her recent streaming power but nope. The new song could potentially kill all her momentum the same way LMLYLAW and the Blue Banisters album did :rip:.

You know I was hyped for WaterColor Eyes as well and that was NOT GOOD. It was praised here too which is so ******* weird and bizarre :rip:. Now people completely forgot about that song and never talked about it again. It really feels like an echo chamber in regards to Lana. I know music is subjective but like her music to me has been on a very striking downward spiral. This new song did nothing to reverse that. NOTHING.

It really pisses me off because there’s already a song I don’t like on the album. The same happened with Chemtrails. I didn’t like LMLYLAW at all, and I couldn’t get into most of the album because of that. The three buzz BB singles. I also didn’t like. BB ended being her worst album for me. Her albums used to have ZERO SKIPS (Well, LFL has a few skips but most of the album is still good).

Now I’m genuinely struggling to call myself a fan anymore because I only like her music from BTD - NFR. Maybe it’s me and not her. I can play her old albums in full. Her new stuff I just can’t. There’s maybe only one or two songs I like from her recent albums and that is so sad.

Totally agree. We're allowed to dislike it. You clearly got blasted in this thread for having a different opinion. Only proves your point about the echo chamber. :shh2:

I'm trying to reply to the thread since the song dropped but something happens all the time and (spoiler alert) i cannot. And the moment I thought ok, here we go, I fell asleep-

I'll start with the most important: I'm going to stay FOREVER bitter cause she didn't name the record American Whore. THE LOST POTENTIAL GIRLIES

But, I don't wanna be ungrateful we have titties in the cover so..

i'm in LOVE with the aesthetics and the covers. She looks just like a china doll

About the song: I enjoyed it. I'm ngl, the way BOZ hyped it had raised my expectations. But the song sounds just like it's out of a dream. If i could use only one word to describe it would be cloudy. Not like cloudy cause it's gloomy, but because it sounds ethereal. It kinda reminded me 13 beaches in a very loose way.

I have seen some Ocean Blvd slander (and ofc people are allowed to have their owns opinions) but personally, I'm not going to jump to conclusions about the sound of the album, before we got the whole album out. The only reason I'll be sour is the american whore potential:sideeye:Like imagine accepting a grammy for her 9th studio album american whore

also take a shot every time i use the word but

1 minute ago, sweetie said:

Totally agree. We're allowed to dislike it. You clearly got blasted in this thread for having a different opinion. Only proves your point about the echo chamber. :shh2:

I mean i also understand people getting snappy when they come across a negative comment, because there are users who seem contrarion for the sake of it.

It's perfectly fine to dislike something and you don't even need to elaborate on that, but if you yourself admit you haven't connected to her music post NFR, then maybe yeah, as OP said, maybe she's taking a road that doesn't appeal to you.

I can't for the life of me get into Bjork, but i don't think her rabid fans are delusional, it's just not for me, doesn't diminish Bjark's artistic merit or w/e. And yet a BJork stan would probably write a catty reply.

[no offence to bjorkle stans, she was amazzzing in The Northman]

1 hour ago, Xenoblade 3 said:

We’ll see about that. Let see how much they stream the song if they love it so much.

Your tone is weirdly negative :pout: It's ok if you don't like the song but it seems like you're trying to CONVINCE people she's doing something wrong

red-velvet-irene.gifred-velvet-irene.gifDimCriminalArcticduck-size_restricted.gi
Naughty, naughty, naughty oh we ha ho