Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

1 minute ago, Xenoblade 3 said:

The sample songs she chose are actually so good. It made me very excited for this album despite finding Ocean TANKED unlistenable. It’s the original songs that I’m most cautious about. She’s lost her touch (and marbles) after 2019. She probably knows this, hence all the samples :teehee:

The samples are indeed giving low fi beats to sleep/relax/study to and I’m here for it.

please i beg of you i am begging you.   Stop talking

59 minutes ago, Jared said:

It's also safe to say that Lana's idea of experimenting with music is adding random trap beats onto her songs (which would be somewhat amusing if we were still in 2017, but who wants to hear trap beats in 2022, especially on Lana album?)

I WANT TRAP LANA I WANT TRAP LANA!!! :party:

2 minutes ago, Thoth said:

It’s on ATRL, 2 hours ago

Just now, Jeanne Dielman said:

Ty!!

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

47 minutes ago, Jared said:

There are so many genres that Lana could tap into (rock, indie, folk/country, shoegaze, etc.) but I guess she decided it would be easier to log into her YouTube account and sample bunch of stuff from ''Calm and relaxing music for deep sleep, meditation, relaxation and yoga'' playlist'. It's also safe to say that Lana's idea of experimenting with music is adding random trap beats onto her songs (which would be somewhat amusing if we were still in 2017, but who wants to hear trap beats in 2022, especially on Lana album?). And some fans are convincing themselves that this is going to be another NFR moment for her... yeah right. 

That’s a bit reductive on a whole and factually wrong on some parts. Let’s start with the latter.

Lana has already tapped into rock music with Ultraviolence and folk/country with Chemtrails; indie music as a form of categorization is getting more and more obsolete if you don’t add anything next to the term “indie” so in that sense and if you think about her entire career, she’s done indie music through her entire catalogue. Said catalogue has had an incredible variety of sounds and inspirations, ranging from hip-hop, trip-hop and trap… all the way to rock, jazz, blues, folk, surf rock and Americana. Few artists of her magnitude and fame can brag themselves about doing the same - they don’t have to but if there’s something that’s truly undeniable about Lana is her immense versatility and how she was able to translate that into records who go for different soundscapes but manage to sound inherently like Lana.

Which brings me to the other point: your comment is absurdly reductive because it reduces Lana to this automaton who needs to deliver something drastically different - something that’s truly symptomatic about how female musicians are perceived and the immense pressure the industry (and fans) put on them that’s constantly demanding them to reinvent themselves. I’m not saying anything brand new or original here but so aren’t you. This incessant need to criticize and project your own expectations onto an artist who has done enough in her career to provide variety (most of the times going against the mainstream spheres and having her originality being repurposed by other artists who get a lot of cred for doing what she did years before them) is exactly why I’m surprised she’s still doing music at all. Being a filmmaker myself, I can’t imagine what it must be to have to deal constantly with this level of scrutiny and authority, like artists aren’t allowed to do whatever they please anymore.

At this point, if her career decisions and artistry aren’t something that cater to your sensibilities or expectations, I suggest you shift gears and invest your time on something other than tearing an artist down for not doing whatever you feel like they should be doing. You’ll see you’ll be spending your time in a more fruitful manner and on the other side of the road, people like us will be spared of offensively reductive opinions by someone who acts like a reddit edgelord without any substance to back up their arguments.

IMG-7960.jpg

Just now, Sportscruiser said:

That’s a bit reductive on a whole and factually wrong on some parts. Let’s start with the latter.

Lana has already tapped into rock music with Ultraviolence and folk/country with Chemtrails; indie music as a form of categorization is getting more and more obsolete if you don’t add anything next to the term “indie” so in that sense and if you think about her entire career, she’s done indie music through her entire catalogue. Said catalogue has had an incredible variety of sounds and inspirations, ranging from hip-hop, trip-hop and trap… all the way to rock, jazz, blues, folk, surf rock and Americana. Few artists of her magnitude and fame can brag themselves about doing the same - they don’t have to but if there’s something that’s truly undeniable about Lana is her immense versatility and how she was able to translate that into records who go for different soundscapes but manage to sound inherently like Lana.

Which brings me to the other point: your comment is absurdly reductive because it reduces Lana to this automaton who needs to deliver something drastically different - something that’s truly symptomatic about how female musicians are perceived and the immense pressure the industry (and fans) put on them that’s constantly demanding them to reinvent themselves. I’m not saying anything brand new or original here but so aren’t you. This incessant need to criticize and project your own expectations onto an artist who has done enough in her career to provide variety (most of the times going against the mainstream spheres and having her originality being repurposed by other artists who get a lot of cred for doing what she did years before them) is exactly why I’m surprised she’s still doing music at all. Being a filmmaker myself, I can’t imagine what it must be to have to deal constantly with this level of scrutiny and authority, like artists aren’t allowed to do whatever they please anymore.

At this point, if her career decisions and artistry aren’t something that cater to your sensibilities or expectations, I suggest you shift gears and invest your time on something other than tearing an artist down for not doing whatever you feel like they should be doing. You’ll see you’ll be spending your time in a more fruitful manner and on the other side of the road, people like us will be spared of offensively reductive opinions by someone who acts like a reddit edgelord without any substance to back up their arguments.

King :mj2:

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

1 minute ago, Sportscruiser said:

I want this tattooed on my face :true:

Just now, honeymoonwhore said:

I want this tattooed on my face :true:

The new QFTC 

Question for the Jared :coffee:

28 minutes ago, West Coast said:

But NFR was "calm and relaxing and yoga"... 

The production on NFR was beautiful and elegant and it didn't sound like your typical background music to YouTube shorts or Instagram reels. Meanwhile, at least half of this new album is going to be samples Lana found while browsing random YouTube background music playlists. Good luck to Jack trying to make this work! 

2 minutes ago, Jared said:

The production on NFR was beautiful and elegant and it didn't sound like your typical background music to YouTube shorts or Instagram reels. Meanwhile, at least half of this new album is going to be samples Lana found while browsing random YouTube background music playlists. Good luck to Jack trying to make this work! 

why don’t you shut up and wait for the album to come out so you can actually listen to it and make an informed opinion instead of spewing garbage and being annoying as hell on a Sunday. :true:

faSE.gif

3 minutes ago, Jared said:

You heard the album?

1 minute ago, Jared said:

I guess you are mad cause she is working with great pianists instead of just relying on Jack :silly:

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Jared said:

I have yet to come across a post in which you're not hating on Lana while crawling up Antonoff's ass who you're actually here for. Why don't you create JackBoards and leave LB alone?  

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

1 minute ago, Kintsugi said:

It's astonishing how easy it is for you to tear Lana down without actually hearing anything off of the new record aside from 2 crusty snippets and one single (which has shown a massive upgrade from her latest 2 records already). What you're saying couldn't be more wrong. The samples aren't as obvious as you think they could be, Lana is touching new grounds while delivering something new for her and despite this being her 9th album she's still proving herself to be a true one of a kind visionary. It's funny how you've assumed this bullshit after 2 of my posts which were vague at most on purpose. @Sportscruiser summed it up pretty well so I'm not going to continue but you should be embarrassed.

and I OOP! King Kintsugi has had ENOUGH

I’m seeing some… ironic posts. Yes, it can be annoying when people spam about wanting a certain type of sound from Lana. But often the complaint is that we are getting too much of the same. Because let’s be honest… soft piano ballads with muted drums beats and perhaps strings here and there is what has been the basis of her music for the last few years. Naturally, people get bored without variety.

Luckily, it sounds like this album will offer some more intense dynamics than COTCC and BB

2 minutes ago, Kintsugi said:

It's astonishing how easy it is for you to tear Lana down without actually hearing anything off of the new record aside from 2 crusty snippets and one single (which has shown a massive upgrade from her latest 2 records already). What you're saying couldn't be more wrong. The samples aren't as obvious as you think they could be, Lana is touching new grounds while delivering something new for her and despite this being her 9th album she's still proving herself to be a true one of a kind visionary. It's funny how you've assumed this bullshit after 2 of my posts which were vague at most on purpose. @Sportscruiser summed it up pretty well so I'm not going to continue but you should be embarrassed.

HEY KING!!

also where tf is the other snippet (not rockafella)