Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

Just now, Crimson and Clover said:

When it gives this iconic remix :oprah4:

when we find Urbam Noize in an updated version of the production credits :oprah4:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

10 minutes ago, summer bummer said:

genuine question (and not that it matters at all):

when it comes to billboard, how come lana doesn’t really chart anymore? i feel like all her recent songs make a lot more noise than other songs that are charting right now. is it something to do with radio? i don’t really understand charts lmao

To add to what others said, she's also not that US centered so even though she has good streams, not even half of them count for Billboard 

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, DCooper said:

I really am getting Laura Palmer vibes from this song. Laura was always writing in her secret diary about her darkest and innermost thoughts, which is exactly the feeling this song and I think the album in general will be giving, matched beautifully with the album art of Lana looking like a girl from the past full of secrets of her own that will start to spill out as her restlessness gets the best of her.

The second part is so fascinating because it's like we rewind back to a place where the version of Lana that's singing doesn't see the darkness that we can see, it is all fun and games for her. She does wanna get high with Jimmy over and over, she does think it's funny when his mom calls, she does just wanna vibe without a thought beyond the repetition of an endless good time. But through the questions asked in the first half of the song and the menacing production that follows, we're able to see an outcome that she doesn't see yet. Even Laura Palmer had fun walking with fire until it was too late :lange:

Being a longtime and thorough Twin Peaks fan, that's an interesting analysis, DC. Maybe 'The Grants' will further reflect on a family dynamic, that being the source, in one way of looking at it, of Laura's problems? 

I admit I really don't understand the point, or points, that the first part of the song are making or attempting to, or how they relate to Lana herself, if at all. I assume the lyrics are about someone else, a character Lana has invented, or are observations she's made about women in the United States and how they're treated, or a combination of all of these (the most likely, I think).

The character in the song does sound passed saving or reversing her current situation, so if she were Laura, it would have to be Laura towards the very end, the last days shown in 'Fire Walk With Me,' and the references to the lack of a God, or a response from God, somewhat reflects the end of 'FWWM,' when the angel arrives but it's too late, and Laura laughs hysterically at the irony. That's how I interpret the end of 'FWWM,' and I consider it one of the most grueling and painful endings in all of cinema. 

The A&W lyrics do seem to have been written, or composed, in the 'new' method she spoke about 6 months ago, about speaking spontaneously and semi-randomly into a mic. Perhaps because of that, I don't find them exceptional, deep, or especially well done, but of course if they were composed spontaneously and then not edited (or edited very much), they would come across exactly like they do. I'm glad Lana feels comfortable doing that, regardless of how I find the end product in this particular case. 

18 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

wow they're pissed at OP lolol,

but idk-  I think there is an interesting discussion that could be had about the whole Jack situation if everyone just calmed down a bit.

I can see good points from both sides tbh 

10 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

I never understood this argument. It would be another story if they sounded, like, exactly the same but overall I like most of his produced songs even if they share the same whatever as long as they’re not a complete copy. I remember someone pointed out how Kevin Abstract’s Baby Boy was a “recycled” The Louvre by Lorde because of its guitar intro and I was like…I don’t really care since the songs are different anyways? They’re both amazing songs :bebe: and also it just takes away from the artist’s own choices themselves. I feel like most producers have a signature sound anyways and we just know Jack’s more because he’s producing for everyone these days 

sgopYhV.gif

28 minutes ago, Harry Nilsson said:

ok the song is good but we shouldn't exaggerate it

I think the song still has some flaws that can't be ignored, like some parts where she loses her voice.

wouldn't compare it to something by Radiohead or Pink Floyd , maybe to Jack's work with Lorde, but Melodrama's songs seem more flawless

go listen to melodrama then :oprah3:

26 minutes ago, Harry Nilsson said:

ok the song is good but we shouldn't exaggerate it

I think the song still has some flaws that can't be ignored, like some parts where she loses her voice.

wouldn't compare it to something by Radiohead or Pink Floyd , maybe to Jack's work with Lorde, but Melodrama's songs seem more flawless

Full agree about not exaggerating it. Being the type of stream-of-consciousness track that it is, with the lyrics very likely being composed spontaneously or semi-spontaneously using a mic, it has all the 'imperfections' (if you'll excuse the term) one would expect from a non-traditionally-composed song. I thought Rayland Baxter did a much better job with a similar kind of 'deconstructed' track on the title song of 'If I Were A Butterfly' and 'Thunder Sound' from the same album.  

There is a general tendency for Stans to exaggerate with almost every new release of Lana's, especially those from her own forthcoming albums (and less so for songs like 'Watercolor Eyes'). Sometimes people go crazy over a new track not only because it's been widely anticipated, but because it's completely, or very, different than what the artist has done before, but 'doing something new' doesn't necessarily equate with 'something great' or even 'something good' with any musician or songwriter.  

31 minutes ago, Crimson and Clover said:

Now knowing how the NFR sample is on A&W is, I’m SO curious how the VB sample will be on Taco Truck :cryney2: I’m guessing similar to how it was on A&W but maybe more in your face/frequent, which I’m perfectly fine with :oprah4: I’m so excited omg

Yeah, Jack posted on IG that Venice Bitch will pop its little head somewhere on the album, so I suppose the sample will be more present albeit not *that* prominent. Anyway, they did a wonderful job on A&W and I seriously cannot wait to hear Taco Truck. Kintsugi was very high on it! :trisha:

Ugh you guysssss. A&W is just phenomenal - I know I’ve made like, 5 different posts just saying that. But it’s the utmost truth. She did not hold back at all - sonically, melodically, lyrically, all of it. I obviously loved the last two records so much but I haven’t felt this way about a song since I heard Venice Bitch.

Enjoy the music and don’t let meaningless discourse and nitpicking get in the way. Focus on what’s to love, which is that we got a fucking amazing 7 minute track! 

it's not because it's brand new it's because the song is just mind blowing and I'm sorry for those who can't feel it :oprah3:

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

why does anything less than a totally positive reaction to the song have to be considered nitpicking & meaningless discourse tho

:deadbanana:

personally i find it interesting/ refreshing  to see some diff perspectives than “‘magnum opus” “best thing since VB” etc

let the ppl speak!!!!!!! 

edit: typos sjsjsj 

If we could stop generalizing others, putting people into categories, and letting others enjoy or critique music without labelling, we all would get along much more. Are there people who tend to instantly fall in love with new Lana music? Yes. That doesn't mean they haven't been critical towards Lana's music or aren't being objective. Vice versa! Not everyone is being edgy if they share a valid critique about a song. However, we all should work on being less judgmental towards other people's perceptions about music. It puts other people on this forum on defense mode and it leads to pointless fighting and chaos. Just because a song doesn't resonate with you lyrically, doesn't mean people are blinded by the hype. And like I said, vice versa; just because you really love a song, doesn't mean the track should be immune from criticism. We all should work on expressing our own thoughts and opinions on the music, and stop worrying about other people and putting them into unfair categories that creates wars of ego. End rant.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.