Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

47 minutes ago, DCooper said:

It's hard to say for sure since the song is so complex and I think there are many avenues to explore, but my current take on it is that the first part of the song is actually after she's escaped a fate like Laura Palmer's. She may still be teetering on the edge, but Lana has reached a point of clarity where she understands who she is and while there may be negative aspects to the way she's living she's also reclaimed her life as her own to a certain degree and doesn't perceive herself as a victim, while also addressing the harm caused by the public's perception of her and society's inclination to tear down women and discard them as "whores" without considering the history that shaped them. I think she's very much talking about herself, while also managing to tie her personal story into a statement about the broader experience many people face, as she often does in her writing. I am always in awe of how deeply personal and widely relatable her writing can simultaneously be. 

Your interpretation of the ending of FWWM is fascinating, I have never thought about it that way. I always took it as the ultimate moment of peace, where even though Laura couldn't escape her fate in life, the angel has arrived now to take her soul to heaven, and her laughter is that feeling of pure relief and joy that her suffering is now over. Yours is much bleaker but very interesting! Lana and Lynch are both amazing in how their work allows for so many unique interpretations.

Thank you, DC, that's all fascinating. We all know of the double standard that applies to men and women where sexuality is concerned in the West. It saddens me how many tens of millions of people today, especially in America, still think of human sexuality as 'wrong,' 'dirty,' 'disrespectful,' 'sinful,' etc. That's part of our Anglo-Saxon heritage, since early America didn't have any kind of erotic tradition except a horror of it, and has hardly developed any since.  

Regarding the ending of 'FWWM,' the movie is so grim compared to the first two seasons that that influenced the way I saw the ending. Of course, the subject matter is extremely grim, and was also in the original series, but the tone was so different. I have seen it several times since and I can never see it any other way, that Laura was damned even by death and the presence of the divine, because what she had experienced was so completely soul-destroying. Thanks for your take and your thoughts. 

3 minutes ago, West Coast said:

Judging by a few comments here, and not even my own commentary this time around, that seems like an inaccurate conclusion. It's still a contentious point of discussion. :)

leave her alone, she was clearly just trying to steer us back on topic and end the arguing :D

Just now, Blossom said:

leave her alone, she was clearly just trying to steer us back on topic and end the arguing :D

No bad blood, I wasn't being facetious. I think most everyone, including me, is super excited about this new single and for what's to come. But there is a place for people to share their so called "critical" opinions as well! :D

For some reason my last post got posted again, mods please remove this I’m sorry

anyway, I say I live in Rosemead, really I’m at the Ramada:lanahairflip:

Edited by Corona

5 minutes ago, West Coast said:

No bad blood, I wasn't being facetious. I think most everyone, including me, is super excited about this new single and for what's to come. But there is a place for people to share their so called "critical" opinions as well! :D

i agree lol, i remember a month ago when i said i was scared the new album wasn't gonna be good and people were being genuinely mean to me about it. i think people dont know how to have thoughtful discussions:eek:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

1 minute ago, taco truck said:

i agree lol, i remember a month ago when i said i was scared the new album wasn't gonna be good and people were being genuinely mean to me about it. i think people dont know how to have thoughtful discussions:eek:

being scared that something that you haven't heard is going to be bad is not "thoughtful discussion" in the first place :oopna2:

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

I don't have an issue with critical opinions, I just literally don't care about either opinion regarding the Jack stuff personally and that's all I was getting at. I guess maybe I shouldn't have grouped anyone in with myself :coffee: Sorry for clogging up the thread with this lol

imageproxy.jpg

a&w is a good song that allows for a lot of people to interpret what it means :true:

some people like the superior first part, and some people like the very boppy second part, and both opinions are valid

and some people aren't particularly fond of the song, and as long as they respect lana's intentions regardless of whether they enjoy the song or not, i don't really see a problem with it

*takes a firm look at everyone eye_1f441-fe0f.png  eye_1f441-fe0f.png*

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

1 minute ago, taco truck said:

I think it's a natural human reaction to want one to appreciate something the same way you do, but art appreciation is very subjective, sooo... :eek3:

i haven't been very active in this thread, but i just wanted to express my thoughts on A&W, firstly, this song is most definitely already one of my favorite lana songs of all-time, it is INCREDIBLE, it is dark, complex, psychedelic, 5+ minutes long, abstract, yet specifically honest, it's insane, it's something we haven't heard yet from lana at all, there are so many things i love about it, it feels like every other past album, song, and period of lana's artistry has led up to this particular song/moment in her discography, we couldn't have this track without all of the others which came before it, A&W is very revealing, yet still keeps it abstract, and wondering more about her past and her history, that's what is amazing about lana is that we know so much about her, yet she is still so mysterious and elusive, there's so many questions you'll still have after listening to this track

if i'm correct, i believe the pitchfork review of this track described the second part of the song as a feeling of accepting yourself as an outcast, and i've been holding onto that, because this track is so eerie, it's not just a song detailing her frustrations and her troubles throughout her life, it feels dirty, there's a taboo undertone lingering in the energy of this song, there's a very subtle, yet palatable essence of horror and despair in this track which makes it so much more rich and more of an experience, i feel like i can relate to the grimy chaos in this track, but also the parts of this track that feel more careless and almost ironically enjoying and embracing the mess and the chaos, because if you've dealt with complicated, strange experiences, or are just a complicated, strange person, you probably feel like, or even know, that that will never change, so you just have to face the darkest parts of yourself, and try your best to view them as something that is beautiful, something that makes you who you are, and sometimes, that's how you survive

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

Just now, Mer said:

being scared that something that you haven't heard is going to be bad is not "thoughtful discussion" in the first place :oopna2:

we had a bunch of insider info at that point... and my post really was about how the past albums were not my fave and from what we knew I was tenative about the new album and i said it respectfully and said i hoped i was wrong and a bunch of people just told me to get off the website:toofunny:

16 minutes ago, Corona said:

Someone said the Dolby mix on AM had a male voice somewhere in there, were they lying or am I deaf? 

When is there a hidden voice someone help

somewhere has to be the voice of Sam Dew, he's credited with background vocals

4 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

I don't have an issue with critical opinions, I just literally don't care about either opinion regarding the Jack stuff personally and that's all I was getting at. I guess maybe I shouldn't have grouped anyone in with myself :coffee: Sorry for clogging up the thread with this lol

Jack and Piano discourse have truly become it's own thing at this point:defeated: I feel like it needs it's own thread because people obviously wanna talk about it but it gets so repetitive in the pre-release:eek:

Just now, littleredpartydress said:

So who else is excited for fingertips :makeup:

I think it's gonna be the most divisive track on the album tbh:hdu:

2 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:

So who else is excited for fingertips :makeup:

Don't have to ask me. :et:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I'm most curious about the interlude tbh, like it's clearly going to give very camp/unhinged vibes, very different from Burnt Norton.  :delicious:

1 minute ago, West Coast said:

I'm most curious about the interlude tbh, like it's clearly going to give very camp vibes, very different from Burnt Norton.  :delicious:

honeslty the worst part of the tracklist is the interlude names tbh:xgiggle: like she couldn't have been anymore creative than "Judah Smith Interlude":eek2:

Just now, taco truck said:

honeslty the worst part of the tracklist is the interlude names tbh:xgiggle: like she couldn't have been anymore creative than "Judah Smith Interlude":eek2:

Yeah the fruity-Trinity The Tuck out-of-drag lookalike pastor was a choice. :creepna2: