Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

I will respectfully be waiting until March 24th to listen to the album ☺️

just in my own personal opinion, it would feel wrong for me to listen if it leaked after the horrible events which happened last year with her losing the entire poetry book and years worth of video footage //: 

Just now, living legend said:

I will respectfully be waiting until March 24th to listen to the album ☺️

just in my own personal opinion, it would feel wrong for me to listen if it leaked after the horrible events which happened last year with her losing the entire poetry book and years worth of video footage //: 

I get that, I just tell myself that it's okay to listen to the album if it leaks because it was meant for March 10 aka my birthday, and the delay was lame

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

The fact that Rob's album has been so visual so far really goes to show that Lana still has it in her, but chooses to dial down on it. Maybe she doesn't want the "aesthetic" that she's become so known for to distract from what she actually has to say. She kinda confirmed that in her deleted tiktok by telling us to listen to the words. 

A lot of people misunderstand her intentions with her art, her critics tend to not look beneath the surface and if you think about it that's kind of what lead to the backlash about glamorizing abuse and dating older men etc. 

Kinda sad if that's the case since the visuals used to be such a big part of her worldbuilding

tumblr-n02pmk-XHSH1rcgcl7o6-250.gif

11 minutes ago, ivory almond said:

can't wait for in 2 weeks when i listen to the most low quality audio possible of kintsugi but it's okay because it's kintsugi :trisha:

pls you know damn well a random european record store will sell the cds/vinyls early and we’ll have the entire album in perfect FLAC quality by march 11th at the latest :rip:

5 minutes ago, ivory almond said:

I get that, I just tell myself that it's okay to listen to the album if it leaks because it was meant for March 10 aka my birthday, and the delay was lame

ahaha treat yourself 🥳 

while on that topic, c’mon place your bets which country and/or record store inevitably leaks the album by shipping/selling it early ? 

my money’s on france cause we’re incompetent :flutter:

After seeing Rob's rollout is clear that any lack of additional content like visuals and such is just on Lana's part. 

They have the same managers and Rob is on a smaller label and we already have an album trailer for his record :thumb3:

I miss MVs and trailers and I'm still delulu thinking they are coming closer to the album but if they don't I'll be satisfied enough with the music I guess. Both singles are great and I'm sure the whole record is going to be on the same level so I'm still excited. 

Less than 30 days btw :hype:

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

while on that topic, c’mon place your bets which country and/or record store inevitably leaks the album by shipping/selling it early ? 

my money’s on france cause we’re incompetent :flutter:

Canada has already caused both Lust for Life and Blue Banisters to leak, jamais deux sans trois. :oopna:

13 hours ago, honeymoon is alive said:

yeah but these blasphemous lyrics happened before she started going to the church :awkney:

are y'all forgetting girl sang in church choir her whole life which is what got her into singing in the first place? she's probably prettyyyy religious

edit: she says on A&W that God is a charlatan :xcry: i think she has an interesting relationship w christianity 

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

13 hours ago, American Bottom said:

TW: Religion

I think my only complaint about A&W is the line "God's a charlatan". For someone as seemingly religious as her, isn't it blasphemous to basically say that God is a fraud? Or maybe I'm misinterpreting the line. The "don't look back, babe" reminds me of the story in the Bible of a woman who disobeyed God's instructions to walk away from a city and not look back. While walking away, she turned to look back and was transformed into a pillar of salt. There's something to unpack here...im just not sure what it is. Open to any suggestions :um2:

That's really interesting! Maybe she's calling him a charlatan and then using that reference as a way to prove it, because turning a woman into a pillar for looking back when she wasn't supposed to is just absurd, and kind of ties into themes she's explored with women not being free to be themselves without persecution. 

Also Lana's always had a complicated connection to religion it seems, she clearly goes to church and probably believes in God, but I think she also sees a lot of the hypocrisy surrounding religion and has no problem calling it out. She even says in I Talk To Jesus to only read the red, so the words of Jesus and nothing else.

15 minutes ago, West Coast said:

Canada has already caused both Lust for Life and Blue Banisters to leak, jamais deux sans trois. :oopna:

rooting for canada then, c’mon america junior you can do it a second time in a row :ma:

I think her relationship with religion is interesting. I feel like she’s mad with God sometimes and expresses it through her music like maybe something bad happened in a church setting or something like that so it makes it difficult for her. But then we know she goes to a Christian church regularly. Wasn’t she raised Catholic? 

31 minutes ago, jaesana said:

are y'all forgetting girl sang in church choir her whole life which is what got her into singing in the first place? she's probably prettyyyy religious

edit: she says on A&W that God is a charlatan :xcry: i think she has an interesting relationship w christianity 

Nothing new or surprising in that. That person I "always mention" but haven't in a while, Tori Amos, has had both a private and public push-me pull-you relationship with Methodism, Christianity, and God (one of her most famous songs starts 'God sometimes you just don't come through') her entire life. Many people of all religions lose their religion, faith, or belief at some point; some regain it, others do not, and still others, like Cat Stevens, turn to Islam, Judaisim, Hinduism, Shintoism, Buddhism, or any of the broad categories of contemporary paganism. Or something else. Questioning is good, and crises of faith can have good outcomes. 

Lana has made so many supportive statements about her belief in God that I do think she's an active believer. But she's also made negative statements, as in 'Gods & Monsters.' Her negative comments about God in 'A&W' I don't take too seriously, as it seems to me the narrator | character is not necessarily Lana in any pure sense, no more than the narrator of 'G & M' was Lana, or the narrator of 'God Bless America' or 'I Talk To Jesus.' 

We'll see what her overall take is on the rest of the album, including the pastor's interlude. 

4 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Nothing new or surprising in that. That person I "always mention" but haven't in a while, Tori Amos, has had both a private and public push-me pull-you relationship with Methodism, Christianity, and God (one of her most famous songs starts 'God sometimes you just don't come through') her entire life. Many people of all religions lose their religion, faith, or belief at some point; some regain it, others do not, and still others, like Cat Stevens, turn to Islam, Judaisim, Hinduism, Shintoism, Buddhism, or any of the broad categories of contemporary paganism. Or something else. Questioning is good, and crises of faith can have good outcomes. 

Lana has made so many supportive statements about her belief in God that I do think she's an active believer. But she's also made negative statements, as in 'Gods & Monsters.' Her negative comments about God in 'A&W' I don't take too seriously, as it seems to me the narrator | character is not necessarily Lana in any pure sense, no more than the narrator of 'G & M' was Lana, or the narrator of 'God Bless America' or 'I Talk To Jesus.' 

We'll see what her overall take is on the rest of the album, including the pastor's interlude. 

Dude i fucking LOVE tori amos

as someone who's not personally religious i don't find myself dissecting lyrics about god/christianity that much but i like your interpretation of these lyrics

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

31 minutes ago, DCooper said:

That's really interesting! Maybe she's calling him a charlatan and then using that reference as a way to prove it, because turning a woman into a pillar for looking back when she wasn't supposed to is just absurd, and kind of ties into themes she's explored with women not being free to be themselves without persecution. 

Also Lana's always had a complicated connection to religion it seems, she clearly goes to church and probably believes in God, but I think she also sees a lot of the hypocrisy surrounding religion and has no problem calling it out. She even says in I Talk To Jesus to only read the red, so the words of Jesus and nothing else.

It's not blasphemy, it's writing, it's an expression of anger, pain, disillusionment. If there is a God, God certainly understands that. As I said in my just-posted comment, people of belief often fight 'God' and lose their faith and live for years or decades as an atheist or an agnostic. That's the story of the human race. If you study the vast subject of Christianity, you learn that hundreds of thousands of priests, pastors, ministers, and nuns have lost their faith and abandoned the church, or even committed suicide. Carl Jung's own father was a minister who went through a crisis of faith and fell into a deep depression in midlife.  

1 minute ago, jaesana said:

as someone who's not personally religious i don't find myself dissecting lyrics about god/christianity that much but i like your interpretation of these lyrics

Thank you--I am as lifelong a Tori Amos fan as there can be, so it sounds like we have a lot in common. She's so brilliant, and so under-appreciated, most of her best work still unknown to the world. You know, then, about her private and public battle with Methodism and what she sees as its vast hypocrisies and poor historical treatment of women. 

Lana mentions God on every album, so I take her commentary seriously, though I don't draw any definite conclusions. It will be interesting to see how else Lana mentions or dissects God on the rest of OB.  

9 minutes ago, jaesana said:

Glad to see fellow Tori fans here; I’ve been a stan of hers since high school. Scarlet’s Walk is a fucking masterpiece, as are the rest of her albums before it. When I first heard Blue Jeans in 2012, my first thought was, “Wow, this is kind of Tori-ish, nobody does that these days.” I wonder if Lana was inspired by her at all. 

d4yQCBo.jpg
The Log Lady [to Laura]: “When this kind of fire starts, it is 
very hard to put out. The tender boughs of innocence burn first, and the wind rises, and then all goodness is in jeopardy.”

1 minute ago, maysparkle said:

Glad to see fellow Tori fans here; I’ve been a stan of hers since high school. Scarlet’s Walk is a fucking masterpiece, as are the rest of her albums before it. When I first heard Blue Jeans in 2012, my first thought was, “Wow, this is kind of Tori-ish, nobody does that these days.” I wonder if Lana was inspired by her at all. 

She is a genuine artist in every sense, glad to hear you also Stan her. Yes, the passionate  'BJ' is like something Tori might have released on 'Under the Pink.' The sad part of their history is that I think Lana helped eclipse Tori as a public artist. Tori's fame and 'major artistic period' was passing just as Lana was rising.