Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

1 minute ago, blackpalmtrees said:
  Hide contents

The way certain users here are continuously praising Fingertips is weird to me. It’s a lovely song but it’s not groundbreaking so stop trying to convince people it is.
Listen to it, enjoy and move on. :smokes3:

waiting for @Fingertips response :popcorn:

Just now, blackpalmtrees said:
  Hide contents

The insiders were collectively right placing Fingertips and Sweet on the bottom half of the ranking. The best is yet to come 

:true:

Spoiler

What if no tracks top Sweet and Fingertips, what then :oprah3:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

Just now, Taco Truck x VB said:

waiting for @Fingertips response :popcorn:

I have them muted, so they can continue talking to a brick wall. Tired of wasting my energy. :oprah3:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Spoiler

Fingertips is such a personal song, I get why some people are not loving it. But wow those lyrics… heartbreaking. When she sings about the passing of Dave it’s really emotional. And btw… anyone knows who that Dave is?

Just now, mssainttropez said:
  Hide contents

What if no tracks top Sweet and Fingertips, what then :oprah3:

Spoiler

5 tracks already have:ma:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Spoiler

If you get it you get it if you don’t you don’t 

and if you do get Fingertips you get a lyrical masterpiece to cry to 

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif

1 minute ago, blackpalmtrees said:
  Hide contents

The way certain users here are continuously praising Fingertips is weird to me. It’s a lovely song but it’s not groundbreaking so stop trying to convince people it is.
Listen to it, enjoy and move on. :smokes3:

Spoiler

well, as a huge fan of Joanna Newsom's Ys, I really really loved the production of Fingertips and its lyrics really fucked me up when I was on my way to work earlier today but I understand it may not be the most popular track within the general public regarding its depth and vulnerabiity 

1 minute ago, Furor Poeticus said:
  Hide contents

If you get it you get it if you don’t you don’t 

and if you do get Fingertips you get a lyrical masterpiece to cry to 

Spoiler

I cried listening to it. I was on the verge of tears and when she said “drive by” I broke :xcry:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

Spoiler

i feel like kintsugi is gonna be the jack antonoff-ed version of fingertips.. for the girlies like me who enjoy the lyrical depth of fingertips but don't love Drew's production:clapback:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

2 minutes ago, buzzdiogo said:
  Hide contents

well, as a huge fan of Joanna Newsom's Ys, I really really loved the production of Fingertips and its lyrics really fucked me up when I was on my way to work earlier today but I understand it may not be the most popular track within the general public regarding its depth and vulnerabiity 

Spoiler

The fact Lana starts being compared to Joanna by the girls who get it :kris: both ladies will be studied in a 100 years instead of Flopspeare 

Just now, taco truck said:
  Hide contents

i feel like kintsugi is gonna be the jack antonoff-ed version of fingertips.. for the girlies like me who enjoy the lyrical depth of fingertips but don't love Drew's production:clapback:

Wait...I kinda see it. You're on to something 

:oprah3: now that I think about it, Kintsugi put lyrics to Fingertips and Kintsugi right next to each other for a reason. It's a sign

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

30 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

Sure! Here are the lyrics to Fingertips

Hide contents

When I look back 

Tracing fingertips 

Over plastic bags 

Thinking I wish I could extrapolate 

Some small intention 

Or maybe just get your attention 

For a minute or two 

Will I die? 

Or will I get to that ten year mark 

Where I beat the extinction 

Of telomeres  

And if I do, will you be there with me?
Father, sister, brother 

Charlie, stop smoking 

Caroline, will you be with me? 

Will the baby be alright? 

Will I have one of mine? 

Can I handle it 

Even if I do? 

You said that I might 

It’s not fair, or so they said 

To carry a child 

I guess I’ll be fine… 

It wasn’t my idea 

The cocktail of things 

That twist neurons inside 

But without them 

I’d die 

They say there’s irony in the music 

It’s a tragedy, I 

See nothing Greek in it

Give me a mausoleum
In Rhode Island
With dad, Grandma, Grandpa, and Dave 

Who hung himself real high 

In the National Park sky 

It’s a shame 

And I’m crying right now 

To get to you, save you 

If I take my life 

Find your astral body 

Put it into my eyes 

Give you two seconds to cry 

Take you home, I 

I’ll give you a blanket 

Your spirit can sit and watch TV by my side 

‘Cause baby, I 

Ran through a time when I felt you were doing it
I couldn’t handle it
I was in Monaco
I couldn’t hear what they said on the telephone
I had to sing for the Prince in two hours
Sat in the shower 

Gave myself two seconds to cry
It’s a shame that we die

When I was 15, naked 

Next door neighbors did a drive-by
Pulled me up by my waist
Long hair, to the beach side 

I wanted to go out like you… 

Swim with the fishes
That he caught on Rhode Island beaches
But sometimes it’s just not your time 

Caroline…
What kind of mother was she to say
I’d end up in institutions? 

All I wanted to do was kiss Aaron Green 

And sit by the lake 

Twisting lime into the drinks 

That they made 

Have a babe at 16 

The town I was born in and die 

Aaron ended up dead and not me 

What the ****’s wrong in your head 

To send me away never to come back 

Exotic places and people 

To take the place of being your child?

I give myself two seconds to cry 

Let it crash over me 

Like the waves in the sea 

Call me Aphrodite 

As they bow down to me 

Sunbather, moon chaser 

Queen of empathy 

I give myself two seconds to breathe 

And go back to being a serene queen 

I just needed two seconds to be me

Spoiler

O Thee mou! The greek references!! Marina found wheezing

Spoiler

You can literally make your own depressing lyrics about your life and sing them to the melody of Fingertips and it works. Have fun 

10 hours ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:
  Reveal hidden contents

it's not fair.. or so they said,

to carry a child

i guess i'll be fine

- fingertips

:crai:

Reveal hidden contents

i think this lyric is about people telling her she shouldn't have had children in the past bc of her lifestyle (touring, constant new relationships, perceived and perhaps acknowledged instability, etc).. it's honest and raw and i get why lana considers this song personal to the point she even felt nervous to send it to her producer.. it really is her "innermost thoughts" like deeper thoughts most artists don't think or don't want to put in their music

also a tiktok made by the girl who interviewed lana for her billboard photoshoot said that lana purposefully wanted to reply to..

Reveal hidden contents

what she felt were complaints and critiques of her (after she released chemtrails) not telling anybody private details about her life and her lack of authenticity.. which she really does reply to, subtly, throughout the music, just by being so revelatory

more of my expanded thoughts on fingertips lyrics as well as their context within the album:

Reveal hidden contents

it wasn't my idea

the cocktail of things that twist neurons inside 

but without them i'd die 

Reveal hidden contents

so i think this lyric is fairly obviously about her medication, which is something she touched on in blue banisters (wfwf and living legend: the "heroin" reference: "heroin gold in my veins and you in my thoughts" is, in my opinion a metaphor for her medication, and the rest of the song could be describing different ways they can affect her? "i get wild and fucking crazy".. etc

Reveal hidden contents

but what's important about that is that lana said in the BB live that there was one thing "slipped into one of the songs on blue banisters that explains everything".. and i think it's referring to medication.. could be the lithium mentioned in wfwf or something else.. so i think this is the theme she was talking about promoting more openly in this record.. and using it to explain herself against the constant criticisms she feels she receives

ok and then also the 

Reveal hidden contents

possible rape reference.. which is very interesting as it seems to be a theme on the album as she also talks about it in a&w, it's a hugely personal thing to reveal in such a massively public way (not in a memoir, or slow strung out interview, but just subtly alluded to within a song just to sort of "explain herself").. or at least that's what i think she felt and means in the interviews when she says the songs explain themselves and are conversational, existential, etc

let's get into the the actual lyrics of the reference now

Reveal hidden contents

when i was 15, naked 

next door neighbors did a drive-by

pulled me up by my waist 

long hair to the beachside

i wanted to go out like you

Reveal hidden contents

so before this line she talks about her uncle dave who "hung himself high" (presumably referring to suicide) and that's the context when she says "i wanted to go out like you".. i think she's saying at that time she wanted to die which is so sad but a very real reaction to assault..

i interpret the lyric "drive-by" as just being lana using another crime as a word placeholder because she didn't want to be overtly direct in lyrics that are already so direct.. i think the lyrics "pulled me up by my waist, long hair to the beachside" are fairly self explanatory but i think this might be a reference to leather patent do over and, at the time, lana wanting to face the beachside and "drown", as sylvia's main character of her most popular book notably attempts to do.. i really don't't think this is a stretch either considering lana's poem.. it's clear these things were on her mind.. i would also get into all the connections with patty and the word "institutions" and that whole lens through which we can see the song, as well as all its connections to what we have of lana's poetry from insights from an institution..

anyways my fingers are getting tired but i'm gonna update this probably more than once and really get into my (probably half insane) thoughts  :party:

Reveal hidden contents

ok wait but also lana leaving out patty in her lyric about where she wants to be buried: 

give me a mauseoleum in rhode island

with dad, grandma, grandpa, and dave

who hung himself real high

this lyric had me jaw dropped bc lana literally just said she wants to be buried with her entire family except her mom  :O

and then the lyrics that seem to portray lana in conversation with chuck, with maybe chuck trying to urge lana to reconsider her thoughts on their mom:

caroline, what kind of mother was she to say i'd end up in institutions? 

all i wanted to do was kiss aaron greene and sit by the lake  

which i see as lana calling the bitch out and speaking her truth (she just wanted to be a normal kid and feel free but patty may have overreacted, made her feel crazy and put her on medications, sent her away, maybe to institutions etc, and it's impacts on her life are explained in this song imo) which i love, and i think she's learning to love that side of her too bc she was nervous and then suddenly felt unburdened, and even said on the billboard red carpet that she feels so much better now that she's "called them out" and put it all out there, i think she feels a big weight off of her, especially from the critics etc even though i think a lot of lana's thoughts on that are a bit warped 

i also have some thoughts about the closing lyrics

Reveal hidden contents

i give myself two seconds to breathe 

and go back to being a serene queen

i just needed two seconds to be me 

Reveal hidden contents

i feel like these lyrics could connect to the whole medication aspect of the song.. something about the word "serene" evokes imagery of like dreamy calmness versus being in a state of like true relaxation.. and yes this one may definitely be a stretch but the line after also correlates -  the "i just needed two seconds to be me" line could be something about lana not knowing who she really is without medication? something like that 

moving on...

Reveal hidden contents

i also think the lyrics about lana's career are very significant..

they say there's irony in the music

it's a tragedy

i see nothing greek in it

and 

call me aphrodite

as they bow down to me 

Reveal hidden contents

so i think that first set of lyrics is pretty clearly about the criticisms lana's received of her music early in her career.. perhaps especially the criticisms about her authenticity.. it could also refer to more specific things like maybe certain lyrics she got a lot of flack for like he hit me and it felt like a kiss, etc.. then by lana saying there's nothing greek in it she's just saying that she disagrees, but she's relating it to famous "greek tragedies"

and then the next lyric ties into this because aphrodite is the greek goddess of love.. so perhaps lana is saying i used to get so much criticism and now suddenly everyone is telling me i'm this goddess of songwriting seemingly out of the blue everyone seems to be "bowing down" when they used to hate on her.. i also think this is a reference to the greek tragedy (a play) hippolytus in which aphrodite is an important character.. in the play aphrodite is ANGRY (at a man..) and throughout the entire play she exacts her revenge, which is notable bc lana has spoken about revenge etc (rock candy sweet..... tallking about being angry in interviews, etc)

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT part of this play reference is exactly how aphrodite appears in the play.. aphrodite only actually appears on stage once at the very beginning to announce her intentions for revenge.. after that, aphrodite is only known through the drama and gossip on the lips of the other characters in the play.. i think this is why lana referenced aphrodite and greek tragedies, in order to make the connection between her career and aphrodite in the play (how she is only known through the false and warped perspectives of the media, as well as the fact that aphrodite has been wronged and wants to get "revenge", and lana does as well, perhaps by calling out her family as she does in this song and as she mentioned in the billboard interview on the red carpet

added more of my rambling analysis/thoughts on the fingertips lyrics.. i really do think these are some of the most personal and devastating lyrics of her career..  i think i'm rly getting somewhere with my analysis of it even though the song is very dense and there's so much more to unpack  :eek2:

Spoiler

and i still haven't even mentioned the huge motif of death that is present throughout the song  :facepalm:  

Spoiler

grandfather was my favorite of the leaks. I swear I haven’t heard a song from her in a while that’s made me feel the way I felt on first listen yesterday night 😭