Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

Just now, evalionisameme said:

Honestly I hope some of the lyricism does get panned- she needs a wake-up call that some of her projects should be worked on more critically in regards to writing and this trend started with the over praising of the “f*cked me so good lyric”. The Lanita line in particular is just cringe-everyone in her camp are yes men.

Or she can write whatever she wants to, since she's a grown woman?

By all means, call her out on her cringiness or tone-deafness when it's present, but a singer-songwriter at 37 who values her own artistic vision is not gonna be swayed by her team :toofunny:

It's almost insulting.

And like someone pointed out earlier, men receive way less scrunity when it comes to this stuff

10 minutes ago, burthday kake said:
  Hide contents

ok but why dont we talk about 

"I'm folk, I'm jazz, I'm blue, I'm green"

Blue in Green by Miles Davis reference?:dua: ate!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

and she first said that there was no room for colors on the album :usrs:

Ultimately I think it's her lack of understanding how to use sensitive language on this topic that causes her to rub people up the wrong way over and over. She's trying so hard to prove what she isn't rather than moving on it's like digging a hole for herself. We know what she means, but when she words things in this way we can't be surprised people may be bugged by it

16 minutes ago, BartenderDeco said:

i’ve been 1 day sober from leaks so someone pls confirm or deny this

I think she apparently put on an accent for like one or two sentences in her billboard award speech the other night 

1 minute ago, 111 said:

yall insist on finding stuff to complain about and refuse to just be happy fr 

I’d be happier if you shared your ranking of the album but you’re playing.

IMG-7960.jpg

53 minutes ago, 13beachess said:

I hope The Grants has a full blown INTRO.:wub: And not  non-intro like Text Book.

Spoiler

In your wildest dreams, you could not imagine, anticipate, or guess the intro to 'The Grants.' 

Maybe I’m in my problematic era but I’m so tired of everything being controversial. Lana can say whatever she wants. I truly don’t care. 

A lot of The Weeknd’s lyrics are abusive and misogynistic, and no bats an eye (including myself) because he’s male and it’s art. Why is this any different except that it’s like 50 times less problematic? 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

5 minutes ago, Harry Nilsson said:
  Hide contents

and she first said that there was no room for colors on the album :usrs:

she didn't mean literal mentions of color... she was talking about how this album is a direct stream of consciousness without any "colouring" or "painting" being done to the lyrics or the soundscape. the songs are very much black and white, expressed directly from her creative energy without any layers of world building or injecting of different palettes to make it seem more palatable and accessible. just look at LFL or NFR and this record...

4 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Maybe I’m in my problematic era but I’m so tired of everything being controversial. Lana can say whatever she wants. I truly don’t care. 

A lot of The Weeknd’s lyrics are abusive and misogynistic, and no bats an eye (including myself) because he’s male and it’s art. Why is this any different except that it’s like 50 times less problematic? 

A-men. As I pointed out yesterday, Bob Dylan wrote a very pointed and nasty song about a gay man, and Joni Mitchell appeared in blackface on a late 70s album cover, but presumably because they're liberal icons, no one has cancelled them yet. On the contrary, Mitchell has absolutely been enthroned in the last five years, and, sadly, most of the people doing the enthroning don't even know most of her classic 70s music, they only know the Blue album and the songs 'Woodstock' and  'Big Yellow Taxi.' But everyone and their mother is jumping on the Mitchell bandwagon. I'm not saying her classic 70s work wasn't amazing; it was. 

Ok this might be an unpopular opinion and I’m ready to get flamed but

The purpose of art isn’t to write or produce things that make people feel comfortable. By writing a lyric that some construe as tone deaf she’s making us think about that statement. eg: Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable

This isn’t specifically aimed at LB (it’s more prevalent on reddit, twitter, and tt) but a few people have already mentioned about how a lot of fans are listening to this from a “comfortable” position (eg being white, and accordingly having privilege) and speaking for minorities

Idk I really haven’t conveyed my thoughts articulately at all but I think that whilst it’s very easy to argue that the ‘white woman’ lyric is tone deaf, I think it opens up interesting (and, perhaps for people who are more privileged, discomforting) discussion over white saviorisim 

idk I’m interested to hear everyone’s thoughts. I know this is written badly hahaha I have (legitimate lol) brain damage  

4 minutes ago, 111 said:

she didn't mean literal mentions of color... she was talking about how this album is a direct stream of consciousness without any "colouring" or "painting" being done to the lyrics or the soundscape. the songs are very much black and white, expressed directly from her creative energy without any layers of world building or injecting of different palettes to make it seem more palatable and accessible. just look at LFL or NFR and this record...

That's true from the 5 songs I've heard, and, for me, it's not a plus, but perhaps after songs 'Beautiful' and 'Sweet Carolina,' both of which I like but perceive as very simple, she felt she needed to experiment and really spread her wings. 

i think we should just wait for the song to officially come out so she can talk about it and not just try to make excuses for her. we can possibly be interpreting this wrong and making the image for the song much worse than it needs to be. we already know that social media is going to try to fuck her for this as woke as they are sometimes. :true:

omnia vincit amor : LANA DEL REY behind the scenes with interview...

7 minutes ago, gothphetamine said:

The purpose of art isn’t to write or produce things that make people feel comfortable. By writing a lyric that some construe as tone deaf she’s making us think about that statement. eg: Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable

This isn’t specifically aimed at LB (it’s more prevalent on reddit, twitter, and tt) but a few people have already mentioned about how a lot of fans are listening to this from a “comfortable” position (eg being white, and accordingly having privilege) and speaking for minorities

Idk I really haven’t conveyed my thoughts articulately at all but I think that whilst it’s very easy to argue that the ‘white woman’ lyric is tone deaf, I think it opens up interesting (and, perhaps for people who are more privileged, discomforting) discussion over white saviorisim 

idk I’m interested to hear everyone’s thoughts. I know this is written badly hahaha I have (legitimate lol) brain damage  

I agree completely. Many of the artists I really love and who have influenced and guided my life write from a 'negative' pole: Nico's masterful 70s solo and 80s work, the Velvet Underground, Marianne Faithful, Leonard Cohen, the Patti Smith Group, Patti's solo work, the Stones. I will never understand people who only want an Olivia Newton-John | Doris Day | Starland Vocal Band sort of world where there's bright, but plastic, flowers everywhere. To me, those are hard 'feeling types' who have no strength to look life in the face, and accept all the good, and all the bad. 

That's why I love Lana: you get both sides of the coin, and in hearty servings. And that's why I love '13 Beaches,' 'Live Or Die,' 'Last Girl on Earth,' 'Gods & Monsters,' 'Cola,' 'Heroin' and now 'A&W.' 

1 minute ago, gothphetamine said:

i think ur brain damage made u smarter than most fans so you're good. i wish everyone had such nuance listening to music and discussing art... this was the same criticism that she was getting early on in her career with "glamorizing abuse" or making women look bad or whatever. now she is writing about different topics but her fans and haters are doing the same type of attacking because she is not pc enough or w/e, if i were to guess she'd be more upset about her fans misunderstanding her like this (as she complained about for a decade) than a small portion of her fanbase listening to some leaks but we don't see thinkpieces and essays discussing the morality and ethics of that do we

As a big NFR admirer I must say that 

Spoiler

I think Ocean Blvd will be better :flutter: I’ll see if maybe it’ll beat UV to me as well

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif