Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

12 minutes ago, drugsdesire said:
  Hide contents

the grants as a single doesn’t rlly make sense imo. it’s a good song, but the title track and a&w were exceptional and they both had a lot of things to offer. with the grants, all we rlly have to dissect is the theme of her family (which we’ve done over and over again, not complaining though) and the orchestral beginning which we’ve heard on blue banisters. it just isn’t the best choice, but whatever feels right for her i guess! 

I haven’t heard the song but just read the lyrics for the first time and I think the family theme is approached in a different way than her previous family stuff. On BB she was literally describing everyday with her fam. Simply because songs have a theme about family doesn’t mean that they are the same. Family is one of the few big themes in art throughout history alongside life, death, faith, war and love. So that’s basically hearing “West Coast” and then “Cinnamon Girl” and being like “well we’ve talked about it a million times already”. 

Edit: English hates me and I hate it too

3 minutes ago, LanaBalkana said:

I haven’t heard the song but just read the lyrics for the first time and I think the family theme is approached in a different way than her previous family stuff. On BB she was literally describing everyday with her fam. Simply because songs have a theme about family doesn’t mean that they are the same. Family is one of the few big themes in art throughout history alongside life, death, faith, war and love. So that’s basically hearing “West Coast” and then “Cinnamon Girl” and being like “well we’ve talked about it already a million times already”. 

i understand, should’ve worded that better, i’m sorry.

but i still stand by what i said. a&w and the title track make more sense for singles because they both have so many interesting parts to them and they’re heavy songs, production wise and theme wise. the grants is not really a match, imo. it’s a totally okay song and it’s good, but it’s nooo match for her other album openers. maybe it really has to grow on me, bc so far i’m not seeing its true potential. 

24 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Oh definitely. I think, as personal as her songs are, they can absolutely be situated in the social context of being a woman. I actually really appreciate A&W as a sociological song, because she totally details the process of internalizing a label that became externalized onto her by others. And the whole process of analyzing her karmic family lineage and tracing “patterns” in her life related to family is a very sociological method of thought! 

very true

22 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Oh definitely. I think, as personal as her songs are, they can absolutely be situated in the social context of being a woman. I actually really appreciate A&W as a sociological song, because she totally details the process of internalizing a label that became externalized onto her by others. And the whole process of analyzing her karmic family lineage and tracing “patterns” in her life related to family is a very sociological method of thought! 

yes, definitely! There was so much to unpack in A&W, it feels just as dense to me as Text Book was :true:

Even Ocean Blvd had a lot of insight into how Lana is feeling now...I'm looking forward to seeing what else may be uncovered throughout the rest of the album for sure lol I can tell there will be lots to talk about in the Lanalysis thread after release day

7 minutes ago, DidYouKnowImANFRStan said:

As no one has asked yet, what songs from their repertoire are The Grants similar to to get an idea of what's to come?

Spoiler

I don't recall any songs by Lana that sound like it, because it has a gospel choir, it sounds very 90s diva if you ask me. So maybe this comparison I'm making is a stretch, but the instrumental alone could be from a Honeymoon outtake - piano, organ, strings and synths

47 minutes ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

Hide contents

The Grants

(Gospel Choir Intro)

One, two, ready

I’m gonna take mind of you with me (I’m gonna take mine with you with me) (Uh-uh, Mind! Say it again)

Mind of you with me

I’m gonna take mind of you with me 

Like Rocky Mountain High

The way John Denver sings

(Song Begins)

(Verse 1)

So you say there's a chance for us

Should I do a dance for once? 

You're a family man

But, but…

(Pre-Chorus)

Do you think about heaven? (Ah-ah)

Do you think about me?

My pastor told me 

When you leave all you take (Ah-ah)

Is your memories

(Chorus)

And I'm gonna take mine of you with me

I'm gonna take mine of you with me

(Verse 2)

So many mountains too high to climb

So many rivers so low, but I'm

Doing the hard stuff, I'm doing my time

I'm doing it for us, for our family line

(Pre-Chorus)

Do you think about heaven? (Ah-ah)

Do you think about me?

My pastor told me

When you leave all you take (Ah-ah)

Is your memories

(Chorus)

And I wanna take mine of you with me

I'm gonna take mine of you with me

Yeah, I'm gonna take mine of you with me

Like Rocky Mountain High, the way John Denver sings

(Outro)

My sister's first born child

I'm gonna take that, too, with me

My grandmother's last smile

I’m gonna take that, too, with me

It's a beautiful life

Remember that too for me

Bless you x

10 minutes ago, Im a ghost now said:

Hide contents

I don't recall any songs by Lana that sound like it, because it has a gospel choir, it sounds very 90s diva if you ask me. So maybe this comparison I'm making is a stretch, but the instrumental alone could be from a Honeymoon outtake - piano, organ, strings and synths

Is she singing in her head voice most of the time?

Just now, LanaBalkana said:

Spoiler

idk what that means :icant: sorry

but if head voice is like her vocals in White Dress... no. The verses are low, but she goes high on the chorus - slightly breathy in some parts, but not on WD's level

4 minutes ago, LanaBalkana said:

Spoiler

Also, btw, she really projects her voice in the chorus. Out of the songs that leaked this one was the easiest one to figure out the lyrics because her vocals are pretty clear.

25 minutes ago, DidYouKnowImANFRStan said:

As no one has asked yet, what songs from their repertoire are The Grants similar to to get an idea of what's to come?

Swan Song is the most similar to me. 

8 minutes ago, JonBatisteInterlude said:

called up my local record store and they said they haven’t gotten any shipments in yet from their distributor :trisha:

Time to phone their distributor :true:

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

Words that made me anxious this era are: 

Soon 

Beautiful

Campaign

Leak 

Rocket emojis 

Morgan Wallen 

Snippets

Rosemead exclusive baby 

Blue banisters 

Piano 

Bare piano

Delay 

miley 

dua 

eurovision

surprise

so far

:air:

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

1 minute ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

Words that made me anxious this era are: 

Soon 

Beautiful

Campaign

Leak 

Rocket emojis 

Morgan Wallen 

Snippets

Rosemead exclusive baby 

Blue banisters 

Piano