Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

1 minute ago, Fingertips said:
  Hide contents

My pastor told me when you leave all you take is your memories, and I'm gonna take mine of you with me

This album truly contains some of Lana's most touching lyricism to date, I feel this music in my soul :icant::hair:

Spoiler

and that line also serves as an answer to the previous line, which is a question: "do you think about heaven? do you think about me?"

its like she's asking this person if he ever thinks about dying and, if so, does he picture her with him in heaven?

and then goes on to say 'because I'm going to take you with me"

its incredibly powerful lyricism

the only thing stopping this track from being a 10 for me is that intro.....

I just know there's going to be a sick transition on this album that will be cut off when you listen to the vinyl :ma:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Hi guys! I don’t post here a lot, but would like to know: The Grants is better or worse than DYKTTATUOB in your opinion? I didn’t hear any leak yet 

Just now, bia said:

Hi guys! I don’t post here a lot, but would like to know: The Grants is better or worse than DYKTTATUOB in your opinion? I didn’t hear any leak yet 

Spoiler

I personally prefer DYKTTATUOB, but both are fantastic to me. :) 

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

3 minutes ago, selfbeyondtheory said:
  Reveal hidden contents

and that line also serves as an answer to the previous line, which is a question: "do you think about heaven? do you think about me?"

its like she's asking this person if he ever thinks about dying and, if so, does he picture her with him in heaven?

and then goes on to say 'because I'm going to take you with me"

its incredibly powerful lyricism

the only thing stopping this track from being a 10 for me is that intro.....

Spoiler

Couldn’t agree more but for the intro makes it even better for me? It’s camp. 

something about hearing the chorus, and then kinda being strung along for a bit….then the piano comes in. I like the delayed gratification of it all:oprah3: 

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

5 minutes ago, crazyforyou said:
  Hide contents

I think it really sets up the album. She talks about her boyfriends in the first verse, reminds me of how to disappear, and second verse is about her mental health, which she told us is improving, then the part about her family, a big theme of the record… and then the chorus tied back into the theme of “don’t forget me”, she’s taking her memories of these things and using them to grow as  person.

Spoiler

That's true! A lot of this album seems to be revisiting memories and thinking about death so the little intro really sets up the concept of collecting the memories that you take with you when you die :cryney2: thank you!

27 minutes ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

Can someone who is unbiased and doesn’t just hate piano based songs rate The Grants out of 10. 

Spoiler

First off, calling The Grants a piano song really does the track a huge disservice, particularly among the Lanaboards circles where that phrase has a very negative connotation. When I think “piano song” I think of Hope which is basically just vocals and piano, and for me this isn’t a bad thing having grown up as a classical penis-t :true:

Second, The Grants has lush instrumentation IMHO combined with a grand sonic atmosphere brought forth by the backup singers. Anyone who thinks the latter’s contributions are trash gets a massive side eye from me because they don’t get how having the singers be a primary part of the production renders an extremely elegant song. And that’s ok because not everyone has to get it, those that do will understand and those that don’t will gloss over the track and that’s fine! But reducing The Grants to a PiAnO fLoP is honestly really unfair. At first listen doing abs at the gym lol it clicked instantly and I understood what it was about. I personally give this grandiose take me to church opener a 9.5 :thankyou:

Just now, sadness is a butterfly said:

Hide contents

Couldn’t agree more but for the intro makes it even better for me? It’s camp. 

Also something about hearing the chorus, and then kinda being strung along for a bit….then the piano comes in. I like the delayed gratification of it all:oprah3: 

Spoiler

ok calling something I don't like camp is an instant way to make me suddenly like it lol. and I kinda agree about the delayed gratification thing too, I intuitively feel that when I listen to the track, that having those women sing the chorus before the song starts makes the first chorus sound more beautiful and warm.

ok wow im an intro truther now thx

7 minutes ago, DCooper said:

The Grants

Hide contents

I wasn't sure about the intro at first though I did appreciate that it was unique, but it's definitely growing on me. It's fun to sing along with them before the song begins :trisha:

Does anyone have any interesting theories or interpretations for why Lana chose to include it, or do you think she just thought it was cute?

Spoiler

I love the intro so much, from the first time I heard it. I think it sounds comforting. Lana probably wanted the background singers to have their moment.

There's also this thing in gospel music - call and response - where the singers sing a line, and then the church responds. So I picture Lana sitting in the church, then she hears this hymn, and the song is her response.

I don't know if I worded this very well but I think my point was made  :silly:  

20 minutes ago, cinnamongirI said:
  Reveal hidden contents

i love the intro to the grants :true: i feel like it perfectly opens the album :true:

yep, it's a unique way to inmerse you to the album, I loved it. 

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

5 minutes ago, The Stargirl Pinky said:

Hide contents

First off, calling The Grants a piano song really does the track a huge disservice, particularly among the Lanaboards circles where that phrase has a very negative connotation. When I think “piano song” I think of Hope which is basically just vocals and piano, and for me this isn’t a bad thing having grown up as a classical penis-t :true:

Second, The Grants has lush instrumentation IMHO combined with a grand sonic atmosphere brought forth by the backup singers. Anyone who thinks the latter’s contributions are trash gets a massive side eye from me because they don’t get how having the singers be a primary part of the production renders an extremely elegant song. And that’s ok because not everyone has to get it, those that do will understand and those that don’t will gloss over the track and that’s fine! But reducing The Grants to a PiAnO fLoP is honestly really unfair. At first listen doing abs at the gym lol it clicked instantly and I understood what it was about. I personally give this grandiose take me to church opener a 9.5 :thankyou:

You ate up this description  

3 minutes ago, Im a ghost now said:

Hide contents

I love the intro so much, from the first time I heard it. I think it sounds comforting. Lana probably wanted the background singers to have their moment.

There's also this thing in gospel music - call and response - where the singers sing a line, and then the church responds. So I picture Lana sitting in the church, then she hears this hymn, and the song is her response.

Spoiler

Love this too! I kind of think of the backup singers as guardian angels supporting her along the way. I wish they returned once more later in the album :trisha:

thinking i need to listen to the grants leak since i'll be busy when it comes out tomorrow...for people who have listened is the leak similar quality to streaming or should i just wait and listen to it on streaming quality 

1 minute ago, alexlanawhore said:

thinking i need to listen to the grants leak since i'll be busy when it comes out tomorrow...for people who have listened is the leak similar quality to streaming or should i just wait and listen to it on streaming quality 

I think it's close enough to streaming quality, but I feel like if you've waited this long, I think waiting for streaming quality for your first listen would be a reward!

Just now, DCooper said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I regret my 8/10 rating already after this conversation, we're gonna have to boost her to a 9 :true:

Spoiler

and then we're going to boost it to a 10 when we listen to the album as a full body of work :true:

6 minutes ago, Im a ghost now said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I love this bit of info about gospel music! 

My other feeling with the intro is that the entire song builds, the whole way through. Every verse is a little bigger, leading up the the end with those soaring “ahhhhs”. With the intro the way it is, it sort of starts the song at a -1 as opposed to starting at 0 (if that makes sense at all lol) if it started with the piano, you’d be started directly into the song, but the intro grounds the song before the piano begins, and also works to grab your attention more than the piano would.   

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.