Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

48 minutes ago, 111 said:

kintsugi needs to get his ears checked, brightsun is a bebe rexha stan, fl0ridakilos told me personally he skips it most of the time and rosemead got most of the album leaked... so what now?

Spoiler

Please stop how the fuck you hate the song it's incredibly beautiful :trisha:

Just now, Get Drunk said:
  Hide contents

Starting to get scared I’m gonna hate fingertips and Kintsugi.. I can’t stand songs without a melody. 

Spoiler

It has an imprompty, ad hoc melody. Like something you'd come up with in the shower or in the car en route to Target.

This has prompted some to call it the "best Lana songs of all time" and a "masterpiece." For me, it's a skip, like Trio was on BB.

the back to back Rocky Mountain High John Denver & Don't Forget Me Harry Nilsson interpolations are so brilliant, the synergy of it all:trisha:

there is the overarching/general theme of memory which ties it all together but then she tackles two separate thoughts on it in each track: 

remembering vs forgetting, specifically: wanting n choosing to keep the memories of her loved ones VS. fearing they won't (want to) keep theirs of her

& sonically, it's also beautifully paralleled in the way "like Rocky Mountain high, the way John Denver sings" & "Don't forget me" both get echoed throughout the entire songs in their choruses but build bigger & turn into something grand towards/by the end, of course with the help of her talented background vocalists. 

there's something very symbolic in that too i think, like these are such important things to her (remembering her loved ones/being remembered by them) that she can't help but get louder & almost "shout" it out to make her point undoubtedly clear. it's very passionate actually. 

tldr: The Grants & Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd are just such perfect sister tracks & the way by using those two 70s songs to help convey her own feelings on the matters, in turn she also made us remember/take note of them 50 years later is this sweet little bonus. :trisha: i wonder if she knows that 50 years from now the world will also still be listening to her:trisha:sorry for the articulation skills on level -5000 

26 minutes ago, Brightsun said:
  Reveal hidden contents

it's One of the album's best songs, Kintsugi is extremely depressing.

you just need to give it few listens for the melody to grow on you and you understand the meaning  behind it 

Putting Kintsugi and Fingertips next to each other on the tracklist sounds like a very risky move. I'm here for it, though!

By the way I'm seeing an interesting pattern here:

The Grants - Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Sweet: the orchestral/warm (and introductory) section

A&W - Judah Smith Interlude: the dark section

Candy Necklace - Jon Batiste Interlude: ?

Kintsugi - Fingertips: the dense/wordy section

Paris, Texas - Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing: the emotionally liberating section

Let The Light In - Margaret: the loose/relaxed section

Fishtail - Peppers - Taco Truck x VB: the fun/bop section of the album 

13 minutes ago, surfsup said:

where does let the light in fall? is it a piano driven song or something else

Spoiler

@fl0r1dakil0s describes it as having "Beautiful warm production. Inviting guitars." 

21 minutes ago, tulsa jesus twink said:

can an insider reveal all the original names on release day pls :excited:

Bird world :oopna:

10 minutes ago, Jeanne Dielman said:

Putting Kintsugi and Fingertips next to each other on the tracklist sounds like a very risky move. I'm here for it, though!

By the way I'm seeing an interesting pattern here:

The Grants - Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Sweet: the orchestral/warm (and introductory) section

A&W - Judah Smith Interlude: the dark section

Candy Necklace - Jon Batiste Interlude: ?

Kintsugi - Fingertips: the dense/wordy section

Paris, Texas - Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing: the emotionally liberating section

Let The Light In - Margaret: the loose/relaxed section

Fishtail - Peppers - Taco Truck x VB: the fun/bop section of the album 

I think this is why the album would end up sounding much more cohesive than people assume because of the very different styles. I think it will have flow:squidward:

1 hour ago, revadece said:

probably unpopular opinion, but out of the singles title track is still my favourite one

Same :bebe: 

A&W sure is the most innovative but I don’t click with the lyrics much TBH and that’s always the biggest part of loving a song for me.

7 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Same :bebe: 

A&W sure is the most innovative but I don’t click with the lyrics much TBH and that’s always the biggest part of loving a song for me.

Agreed, title track is the full package. Complex symbolism, beautiful melodies, memorable chorus/hook, very self-aware. 

i really like A&W and the Grants too but the title track is very special 

3 minutes ago, LanaBalkana said:

Agreed, title track is the full package. Complex symbolism, beautiful melodies, memorable chorus/hook, very self-aware. 

i really like A&W and the Grants too but the title track is very special 

The Grants is probably my number 2. It complements so well Ocean Blvd :flutter: And I guess it helped a lot, reading spoilers before ever listening to it: I knew the intro would be a bit weird (even if it makes a lot of sense: let’s begin the album with an imperfection that transforms into something super polished; that’s why it think this album won’t be on HM super-posh-and-polished kinda level: many « imperfections will be on that album)