Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

Spoiler

Let The Light In has me in shambles honestly.Β :oprah:

Β 

Spoiler

re-listeningΒ and ohhh my godd why would they add so much reverb to lana’s verses in peppers while the sample is so clear?? it’s bothering me so much. it just sounds so messy like a copy and paste. and the beat drop in fishtails 😐

Β 

1 minute ago, esotericfaerie said:
Β  Hide contents

re-listeningΒ and ohhh my godd why would they add so much reverb to lana’s verses in peppers while the sample is so clear?? it’s bothering me so much. it just sounds so messy like a copy and paste. and the beat drop in fishtails 😐

Β 

Spoiler

Honestly what helped me was lowering my phone volume….I had my shit fully up and it made things sound so murky. Lowered the volume and now it sounds leveled

Β 

Did it finally leak? Did i miss something?

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Okay, initial thoughts:

Spoiler

Β 

1. The single releases should have been (1) A&W (2) Let The Light In and then (3) Ocean Blvd, a week before album drops

Β 

2. The album is definitely less traditional than I was expecting, and I was expecting an untraditional album (in terms of verse/chorus structure)

Β 

3. Let The Light In is one of her best songs

Β 

4. Fishtail is absolutely terrible, I'm sorry. I love cinnamon girl and feel this is in the same realm, but it's just so sloppy, all over the place and doesn't really build to anything significant, it just feels like a bunch of false starts stitched together over lazy vocals and undecipherable lyrics. And why would they choose to autotune some of the vocals, but then not autotune the part about painting red flags green when she's clearly off-pitch

Β 

5.The vocals are pretty hard to decipher for most of the album which I think is a big problem considering how wordy it is. I shouldn't have to read the lyrics to understand what she's saying when it's a self-professed "diaristic" album where the lyrics are so important

Β 

6. Despite the previous negative comments, I think it's a solid album and I'm pretty impressed. I'm actually not sure what to make of it all right now, and I'm reserving judgement until I've sat with it a bit, but I'm feeling positive/hopeful that with a few more listens it will be one of her best works for me. I felt the same way when I first heard fingertips, and now I love it.

Β 

7. Taco Truck's first-half IS the song, and it should have gone on for a bit longer, but it's a great way to close out the album.

Β 

8. I'm noticing a lot of repeat lyrics which I think is really great because it helps the album feel cohesive, like she's battling with the same thoughts during the whole record, and coming at them from different angles until she's worked through them.

Β 

9. The interludes are great, but seem very random. I think the Jon Batiste interlude would have been better if it was half the current length, and was actually an outro rather than a whole track. As for Judah, I think it's pretty strong but I'm not sure what she's getting at by putting it in there, and I find that really interesting and confronting. My only gripe is that if you're going to have a spoken word interlude THAT long, make his vocals clear enough that we don't have to struggle to hear him. This is a consistent issue on almost every track.

Β 

10. Kintsugi had very clear vocals (as did The Grants, Taco Truck and a few others) so it can be done. And I liked Kintsugi a lot but it too could have been but shorter.

Β 

11. Final initial thoughts: I like that Lana is playing with being more experimental, but experimental can also have its downsides, particularly thatΒ it can come across as meandering andΒ overdrawn, and lacking a concentrated vision. Also, experimental can sometimes come across as cagey, like the artist is using so many layers of metaphor and symbolism that the meaning is diluted to everyone but them, and that's okay but it doesn't have the same impact when you have toΒ figure outΒ what's going on. And that's my main point with the album: there's a lot ofΒ figuring outΒ to do, whether it's literally what she's saying because the vocals are mixed weird, orΒ figuring outΒ why she put this track in that spot, and why this track is so long when it's not immediately clear what the purpose it serves is. I do like it, a lot, but need to sit with it a few times before I can really review it.

Β 

Β 

1 minute ago, esotericfaerie said:
Β  Reveal hidden contents

Β 

Spoiler

This take is kinda crazy like why are u focusing so much on the production like enjoy these blessings lana has sent your wayΒ 

Β 

Well I cracked and listened to the leak, and although I might save more listening until I have the CD in front of me, I'm going to take this chance to bow out of being around here. I really don't need to hear a bunch of dumb takes on songs expressed by children. I do want to give a shoutout to Eclipse, though, for proving with his opinion of Kintsugi that leakers are great at reading emails that aren't intended for them, but generally don't know the first thing about life or music.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Just now, Selfloathinpoet said:

YepΒ 

Β 

AH I'M SCREAMING ONE SECOND LET ME GO LISTEN RIGHT NOW

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole