Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

Just now, paris texas said:

officially done

Hide contents
  1. Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing :party:
  2. Paris, Texas
  3. Margaret
  4. Let The Light In
  5. Fingertips
  6. Kintsugi
  7. A&W
  8. Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
  9. The Grants
  10. Sweet
  11. Taco Truck x VB
  12. Fishtail
  13. Peppers
  14. Judah Smith Interlude
  15. John Batiste Interlude

Side D wasn't my favorite let me just say that :ma:

Spoiler

this is THE correct top 5 :agree:

2 minutes ago, burthday kake said:
  Hide contents

PUT THE BEATLES ON

LIGHT THE CANDLES

GO BACK TO BED

CAUSE I WANT WANT WANT YOU

I NEED NEED NEED TO NEED YOU

tumblr-record.gif

Spoiler

what song is this :0 im only just now listening, i’m on kintsugi

Please before we start again, can we just acknowledge we all have different tastes and some of us will place the upbeat tracks on top, others on bottom, there is no “correct” listing. Just enjoy the songs and accept the reviews wether good or bad

:agree:

wish i could @ certain users

Spoiler

i havent actively posted on here in years and i never pick favorites with lana but songs like fingertips and kintsugi are just.. wow. these songs are so beautiful and tender and vulnerable i cant even believe that they are real let alone that shes sharing them with the world. it is honestly a blessing to even be alive on this planet at the same time as this woman and i hope she knows how grateful we are for her and how much we love her

Spoiler

Tbh i’m having a hard time enjoying the record as a whole, it’s kind of awkward to have deeply sensitive songs about (deceased) family members and then go into shaking your ass and bopping your head to trap beats. Individually, the songs are top notch. I guess I just don’t grasp the meaning behind Ocean Blvd?

12 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Hide contents

It's a massive improvement over Blue Banisters for sure. 

But (and I do feel like I'm going to get killed for saying this): Chemtrails was a lot more cohesive thematically and sonically.

Ocean Boulevard feels like if Lust for Life and Honeymoon had a baby.

Spoiler

I really agree on Chemtrails being a lot more cohesive, tbh I also think Chemtrails overall had more effort put in it compared to bb and more instrumentals (or so i remember it)

But yes , OB is something more polished and has variety we've need

Spoiler

these songs feel so close to me already. i am sure i am colouring my own listening experience bc today has been fucked lol but sm songs on this album are rly reminding me of sirens, there's just so much next 2 me energy on this album, like the whirling mix of vulnerability and being in danger and weirdness. and im just realising that the album cover art and photoshoot are her in her bedroom at night bc she can hardly sleep :trisha: 

vvvvv tentative ranking minus candy necklace:

1. fingertips 
  2. peppers (when she goes dadadadadadadadada wipeout!!! it's so beach boys. tommy genesis collab album when!)
  3. did you know there's a tunnel under ocean blvd
  4. paris texas (i KNEW a song w this melody could never be anything but amazinnngg)
  5. kintsugi
  6. jon batiste interlude
  7. a&w
  8. let the light in
  9. the grants
  10. sweet
  11. taco truck
  12. fishtails
  13. grandfather
  14. margaret
  15. judah smith interlude which i have actually just skimmed lol

mUENGN9.png

1 minute ago, blackpalmtrees said:
  Hide contents

Tbh i’m having a hard time enjoying the record as a whole, it’s kind of awkward to have deeply sensitive songs about (deceased) family members and then go into shaking your ass and bopping your head to trap beats. Individually, the songs are top notch. I guess I just don’t grasp the meaning behind Ocean Blvd?

Spoiler

Whilst I like more than half of the songs, I agree that this is one of her most disjointed efforts, even more than Lust for Life in some ways.

Some songs feel like they're straight out of the Blue Banisters universe (Sweet, Fingertips), some feel like they're cuts from Norman (Grandfather), others feel like they're from Lust from Life (Peppers), and some straight outta Chemtrails (Paris, Texas, Let the Light In). Add the two interludes to that and the two decidedly gospel tracks (The Grants, Ocean Boulevard), and you've got yourself a mix tape.