Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

A quick track by track review 

Spoiler

The Grants: I like the intro , such a beautiful,  emotional , fully sounding ballad , a really nice start to the journey but I kinda wished it was a bit more or longer but still I love it , also the transition into the 

Title Track: Such a classic,  beautiful,  full & rich sounding Lana song, it aged like fine wine 

Sweet: A grower but I'm obsessed now, the strings & her voice are beautiful, the basic bitch line,  the second verse,  so beautiful  & lush 

A&W:  CAREER HIGHLIGHT,  11/10

Judah Smith Interlude: I liked it way more than I thought,  it's so creepy ,love the production 

Jon Batiste Interlude: love the production , the laughing & screaming,  really like it, those Interludes are really moods

Kintsugi: I had goosebumps & tears in my eyes, that's all I have to say :wowcry:

Fingertips: THAT SONG, I love the instrumental but THE LYRICS,  so much to unpack, it still makes me speechless,  I was NOT doing alright after Kintsugi & Fingertips,  I just wanted to lay down & cry :trisha:

Paris,  Texas: LOVED IT, it sounds so magical & whimsical , so so beautiful , reminded me sonically a bit of COCC & Bartender 

Grandfather: STUNNING,  THE BUILD UP, GOD IF YOU NEAR ME SEND ME 3 WHITE BUTTERFLIES :oprah: I fear it might be a career highlight 

I also loved how it transitioned into Let The Light In:  

SUPER BEAUTIFUL,  IT REMINDED ME OF SUMMER & RUNNING AROUND ON FIELDS , FJM vocals I liked them but I have to say I'm glad he didn't had more parts 

Margaret: I liked it much more than I thought, not the biggest fan of Jacks verse but the when you know you know part , the intro & the speaking part doing it for me, no skip for me & I actually like it which I didn't expect at all 

Fishtail: love what I heard from the lyrics so far, the piano is so pretty & I love the beats & the autotune , one of my faves for sure

Peppers: HELLO??? A FUCNING BOP, IT'S GIVING LIZZY , IT'S GIVING FIRE, IT SLAYS 

Taco Truck × VB: I love the first part , I wish it was longer , the VB part is so dope , I really love it, and after the heavy middle part Peppers & Taco Truck were truly needed 

Such a great album after first listen, I really like it, I can't wait to hear Candy Necklace:trisha:

I love the variety , that's so nice to have but it all feels like one album but it's an emotional roller coaster for sure,  a whole experience :oprah:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

5 minutes ago, shadesofearthquakes said:

Can’t listen atm but what does everyone think about Let the Light In? I’ve been super hyped for another FJM collab

Spoiler

i loveee it - it's so warm and earthy. def in the same family as UFB, tomorrow never came, summer wine, if you lie down w me, etc

mUENGN9.png

the only thing that irks me is that you can hear 

Spoiler

exactly which songs were voice note songs,,, the instrumental would be playing beautifully and then suddenly you will hear the white noise knowing okay in about five seconds she is about to sing 

Just now, fine china said:

Who else hasn’t listened to any leaked songs? I feel like I’m on an island :bebe:

I haven't either! 

Just now, Fishtails Supremacy said:

the only thing that irks me is that you can hear 

Reveal hidden contents

exactly which songs were voice note songs,,, the instrumental would be playing beautifully and then suddenly you will hear the white noise knowing okay in about five seconds she is about to sing 

Spoiler

As far as I know she only recorded Fingertips as voice notes. White noise also happens with studio recorded songs, see for example Heroin.

15 minutes ago, blackpalmtrees said:
  Hide contents

Let The Light In’s guitar melody reminds me of Drowned World (and a bit of I Deserve It) by Madonna

:worship:

Spoiler

OH??? here for a ray of light esque album by lana in the future tbh

i didn’t want to listen to leaks, but since the whole album is already leaking, i just can’t wait i’m sorry :trisha: here are my thoughts: 

Spoiler

paris, texas - the piano sounds very clear and lovely, and it flows so nicely with her vocals wow :oprah: it really has that cinematic quality from born to die era ballads, it’s like french restaurant sister. and the little sounds in the background really bring the whole thing together, creating a nicely sounding instrumental. whereas it might not be one of my favourite lana songs, it’s very nicely executed and i think many would like it!

jon batiste interlude - i actually really like the instrumental, but what is going on with the vocals? :toofunny: i don’t really understand the point of something like this in the album, maybe when i listen to it in order it’s going to flow nicely, but i still think it’s a lost potential, if it was an actual song with that instrumental, it could’ve been really nice

kintsugi - i don’t know why the production sounds so low quality, is that the demo that leaked? i didn’t really focus on the lyrics, but musically - the song is way too long for basically not any progression and no turning point where it could pop out a bit. and i like some of her vocals but they sound so raw and muffled in the version i heard :toofunny: i’m just hoping that won’t be the case in the released version. but the song itself disappointed me a bit, though again - i might just heard the demo version and the final will have some elements that will make it better, i guess i’ll see

fingertips - oh wow, that song truly is a confession of hers :xcry: and i love it, i‘m proud she was able to open herself up enough to be releasing a song where she talks about deeply personal and difficult topics. and the production sounds awesome, we really should appreciate drew’s orchestral arrangements more. the only thing i think i could complain about is lana’s automatic-singing, because the way she sings isn’t really melodic and she sounds a bit too breathy at times, but i understand i shouldn’t criticise it since it’s one of the important aspects of such as confessional song

sweet - the string arrangement sounds so cinematic WHAT :trisha: like that’s one of her most cinematic arrangements since her early career, and the “swee-eee-eet” vocal tone and delivery is really reminiscent to that one moment from wait for life. i think it’s a really pretty song, musically seems like sister to fingertips but with lighter lyrical content

judah smith interlude - the case is the same as with jon batiste interlude. these interludes have nice instrumentals (i think the jon batiste one is better though), but the screaming freaks me out :toofunny:

and that’s all for now! :) i haven’t heard the other songs yet. overall my impressions are quite positive, but my favourite song is probably still the title track. i can’t wait to listen to the album in order, i think i can tell what insiders meant by “diverse but cohesive”

The only reason I listened now is I won't be able to listen to the album until April bc in 3 days I go on two week university trip into some spanish mountains & we doing field work all day. Can't wait to re read all the collapses from release day when I come back :trisha:

But it's such a good album :oprah:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

okay these are thoughts on the album for anyone who cares

Spoiler

i like it:xgiggle:

listening to the title track in the context of the album kinda made me sad it was released as a single cause imo it sounds so much better with the rest and it hits harder.

i feel like Sweet will grow on me.

the interludes have beautiful instrumentals, i won't listen to the interludes again probably but if the instrumental were to leak then i would stream lmao.

kintsugi did not disappoint i really like it, a little part reminds me of the Wild At Heart pre-chorus but that's okay i love this track.

Fingertips i really like the production and the lyrics, it's obviously hard to get into the melody after just 2 listens and that's okay.

i loooove paris, texas it gave me the same vibes as oh say can you see, i was imagining a black and white 50s movie while listening, so soothing.

i really like the melody on grandfather too.

let the light in is very cute i wish FJM had a verse i really like him but the track overall is good very sweet

margaret pretty much the same, i always liked bleachers so i knew i wasnt gonna have problems with Jack singing, it is hard to understand what he says tho lol, it goes well with LTLI tho, sister songs.

i also really like Fishtail idk why some people didn't like it, i feeo like it's sexy and i looove when she sings BAAAAABY.

Peppers ugh i still cannot get into it, maybe i will but for now im not a big fan, i really like the pre-chorus tho.

Taco Truck is the track i claimed and i really like it, i gotta admit i prefer the TT part to the VB part, probably cause VB is one of my favorite songs by Lana so the og remains superior, but it was a cute mashup, wish the TT part was longer.

now i do also have critiques

sorry to say this once again but... the mixing.

in some tracks the instrumental is way louder than the vocals, in others the vocals sound muffled or too in your face, it is something i can ignore but if i pay attention it does bother me.

UV and NFR still sit pretty in my number 1 spot unbothered but i really liked this album definitely an improvement from COCC and BB, now i do still wish Lana would explore something totally new for her next record but that's way to early to talk about.

i don't have a ranking yet but it's fair since we don't have CN

anyway i like the album :blush3:

thank you to everyone who reads this i love you :trisha:

1 minute ago, Ocean Boulevard said:

The only reason I listened now is I won't be able to listen to the album until April bc in 3 days I go on two week university trip into some spanish mountains & we doing field work all day. Can't wait to re read all the collapses from release day when I come back :trisha:

But it's such a good album :oprah:

omg? have fun on the trip! 

27 minutes ago, tulsa jesus twink said:

ohmygod seeing some reactions to this album, ive listened to 1 leaked song but why do some of yall go out of ur way to hate everything Lana makes 

u arent the bald guy, learn how to like her music 

adding onto this, Lana is about to release a whole ass new album, i know its fun to be negative but give it a week before yall shit on it and call it boring or whatever some of yall love to do

YCY3W7s.jpg

Just now, summer bummer said:

omg? have fun on the trip! 

Thank you:heart:

OiUHEXQ.jpg