Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

my thoughts on each track (nothing too detailed, so if you haven’t listened maybe you can read this as a review to anticipate the official release):

Spoiler

1. the grants. i think it’s a really sweet, simple but effective opener. i don’t think it has much replay value by itself but i really like as a way to start the album. the lyrics are not that special to me but i love the ending with the choir and lana’s vocals are more powerful (and soft at the same time), when she mentions her family directly. very simple track but it makes sense to open the album, love the line “do you think about heaven? do you think about me?”

2. title track. i’ve never been a big fan but i think it will click more when listening to the album all together multiple times. it definitely touches on multiple themes that we see throughout the album. i like how it kinda anticipates what it is coming later in the album if you analyze the lyrics with a bit more focus (family, herself, sex/love… i feel like these are the 3 main “parts” of the album, although sonically more sections can be discerned)

3. sweet. i agree that it’s the love song of the album. i don’t think it’s flat at all, i love the melody and instrumental. classic lana song, it’s true that it doesn’t add much to the whole narrative but i really enjoy it. i don’t really get the tracklist placement for it but whatever

4. a&w. definitely one of the best, no words to describe the level of creativity and introspection that she showcases here.

5. judah’s interlude. cool idea but i cannot understand one thing that he is saying, so i don’t really get the point of it being there. if someone transcribed it, please share it cause i would be very interested! cannot really have an opinion based on what i heard 

6. jon’s interlude. cool as well, chaotic, i like the improvised (i guess) vocals and the kinda jazzy piano. again, don’t really get the sense of it but i hope it will be more clear when we hear candy necklace

7. kintsugi. wow. i cannot believe some people compared this to beautiful or said that it’s boring in general. the lyrics are amazing, the melody is rich and her voice is so fucking expressive. love the concept. definitely a long song and towards the end is a bit repetitive but i found it VERY powerful. like almost life changing. not the type of song that you just casually listen to, you really have to focus on the lyrics to appreciate it. can’t wait to relate it to my life, it will definitely fuck me up a lot when it clicks in the right moment

8. fingertips. i think i said a lot about this one already lol 

9. paris, texas. left me a bit underwhelmed. cute but i’m not a fan of voices matching the instrumental’s melody, i was hoping she would have come up with smth else than just singing the same melody of the sample in some parts. i liked it, but nothing too special especially between these tracks.

10. grandfather. i loooove it. voice and production on point. it’s such a vibe idk. the only thing i haven’t quite grasped yet is the meaning of it. she kinda goes from talking about herself and her authenticity to mentioning her grandfather etc, i didn’t quite catch the link between these two but i still have to read the full lyrics. the “three white butterflies” line is stuck in my head, so beautiful. 

11. let the light in. this was unexpectedly good, didn’t expect it to sound like this. i thought it would be more like gospel. i like the casual vibe it sets, i find it very “sunny”

12 margaret. i thought it would be much different. cute track, not sure if i enjoy the spontaneousness of the lyrics cause it kinda takes the magic away a little bit for me when a singer references real life so straight forwardly (like in the beginning when she says something like “this is a song for a friend” bitch i don’t care, just sing it don’t explain it to me lol). i kinda hear the norman sound in the beginning, is it just me? the same instrument for the love song intro

13. fishtail. aaaaa the production is all i need. gorgeous. also interesting story, would have never thought of a song about this. sonically it’s like a mix between bartender, tulsa jesus freak and freak. also random thought lol to me it seems like a mix between taylor swift’s songwriting and fka twigs’ production. so random but i actually love how it works out 

14. peppers. very fun and will definitely be a pre party anthem for me. i’m not sure how i feel about the sample. i keep thinking how much it would sound better if they only kept the sample as an intro and outro, since the production after the verses sounds soooo good. maybe i’ll get used to it.

15 taco truck. first listen: wtf. the copy paste sample really got me off at first. i just don’t quite see the point of repeating a song like this, especially if it’s as iconic as venice bitch. i hoped that it was sampled in a way that can be related to the first part of the song but tbh i don’t really see the connection. second listen: i enjoyed it. so idk, maybe it will click at some point. 

favorites (no particular order): a&w, kintsugi, fingertips, grandfather, fishtail. candy necklace will hopefully be here too. let the light in might make its way to the top as well! 

no bad songs for me, just some choices that i am not quite getting yet. 

Not going to lie, I was excited for the " surprise" coming this week. I was hoping for a vinyl boxset tbh... guess the "surprise" ended up just being the lack of a surprise. Very anticlimactic :biblio:

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png

I still can't quite process why this is what they did to Taco Truck tbh

Spoiler

like a full Taco Truck song where it goes back and forth between the tempo shifts Text Book style that would've been a serve. This tinny trap beats-y ending/second part/remix is not it. But I can't hate too much, cause the Taco Truck bit is gorgeous. I genuinely think that this could've been the best track on the record.

Just now, tienmej said:

Lana fucking has to make an album with Father John Misty and his team as producers. It would be an absolute serve.

bitch... i would scream so loud ... FUCK

omnia vincit amor : LANA DEL REY behind the scenes with interview...

Fingertips track by track review for @Jeanne Dielman, @DCooper, and whoever else asked (I'm taking a break from this forum after reading some of the most braindead & hypocritical shit takes I've ever read on this forum)

Spoiler

1. The Grants

I wasn't really the biggest fan of this track when it first came out. It didn't really hit me in the same way as the other two pre-release singles, and definitely felt a little short. However, in context of the album, it flourishes. Super essential opening track and gently guides us through the incoming themes of the record.

7.5 on first listen, 9 after the album leaked.

2. Did you know that there's a tunnel under ocean blvd?

One of my favorite tracks from LDR. Lyrically, a highlight in her career. The build up at the end is still mindblowing.

10/10

3. Sweet

One of the tracks that needs reparations from the insider's opinions. Much deeper and more complex than the simple and surface level "love song." Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful and definitely not inconsequential 

9/10

4. A&W

Everyone knows that I wasn't the biggest cheerleader for this song when it dropped, but it truly is an excellent track and works even better in context.

10/10

8. Kintsugi

Second track that needs reparations from BoZo and frenemy @111 Stunning, strange, and definitely one of my favorites. Might be the slowest track in Lana's released catalog, but for that, I appreciate it and find the emotional payoff to be worth it

10/10

9. Fingertips

What can I say that I haven't already? Devastating and beyond gorgeous. Never heard a Lana track like this before. Very Tori/Fiona/Kate Bush.

10/10

10. Paris, Texas

My least favorite song on the album. It's very good, don't get me wrong, but definitely not my cup of tea.

7.5/10

11. Grandfather...

RIOPY's description of this song feeling like the sea, and seeing the "liquid blue" of the ocean is so accurate. Sings her heart out over a very nautical soundscape and the lyrics are extremely beautiful. The older and wiser brother to Mariners Apartment Complex.

10/10

12. Let the Light In

If someone told me this was a remastered outtake from Ultraviolence, I would believe you. What a phenomenal, bluesy/country twanged track that reminds me a little bit of a more complex IYLDWM. Father John Misty and Lana are musical soulmates, they sound beautiful together.

10/10

13. Margaret

Really sweet song, but I don't have much to say about it. Jack sounds very much like Bon Iver on this song. The "rom com" description of the song from Rolling Stone was pretty accurate for sure. I respect it!

8/10

14. Fishtail

HOLY MOLY. The braindead opinions about this song are why I'm taking a step back from this forum, but this is the collapse of the century. One of her greatest midtempo sultry songs to date. Black Bathing Suit and Tulsa had a beautiful baby. This is the song for the girls who get it.

10/10

15. Peppers

Super, super, super crazy track. I never expected something like this from Lana, although it does echo some of her pre-BTD unreleased. Definitely a bop for the Geminis in the room who love the chaos!

9/10

16. Taco Truck x VB

I don't have much to say about this one, either. It's pretty good and I love the transition to VB. 
8/10

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

In some cultures, cassava leaves are a staple delicacy—they are a valuable source of protein, minerals, and vitamins. It takes a bit of preparation time, as in you would have to grind or pound them first to break down the antinutrients and cyanogenic glucosides that make them unsafe to eat. Incorrectly-prepared cassava leaves can lead to unwanted side effects.

What I'm saying is, you guys need to come in with a clear head and take some time with the album. Just enjoy it as it is—some of you may not enjoy it at first, but maybe in time you will. If you're gonna rush in with high expectations, it's only gonna leave a bad taste in your mouth.

On 2/24/2023 at 1:34 AM, Americanboy said:

Hairy assholes are better than smooth ones

Spoiler

Taco Truck x VB just further proves that Venice Bitch is THAT bitch. Amazing song and perfect closing track.

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I have a feeling that closing the album with that means that she's finishing the singer-songwriter era and moves on to something else?

She kinda did the same with Lust for Life with Get Free being a foreshadowing of NFR and also said that it was the last album (the 4th) to complete the BTD-series.

4 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

Fingertips track by track review for @Jeanne Dielman, @DCooper, and whoever else asked (I'm taking a break from this forum after reading some of the most braindead & hypocritical shit takes I've ever read on this forum)

Reveal hidden contents

1. The Grants

I wasn't really the biggest fan of this track when it first came out. It didn't really hit me in the same way as the other two pre-release singles, and definitely felt a little short. However, in context of the album, it flourishes. Super essential opening track and gently guides us through the incoming themes of the record.

7.5 on first listen, 9 after the album leaked.

2. Did you know that there's a tunnel under ocean blvd?

One of my favorite tracks from LDR. Lyrically, a highlight in her career. The build up at the end is still mindblowing.

10/10

3. Sweet

One of the tracks that needs reparations from the insider's opinions. Much deeper and more complex than the simple and surface level "love song." Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful and definitely not inconsequential 

9/10

4. A&W

Everyone knows that I wasn't the biggest cheerleader for this song when it dropped, but it truly is an excellent track and works even better in context.

10/10

8. Kintsugi

Second track that needs reparations from BoZo and frenemy @111 Stunning, strange, and definitely one of my favorites. Might be the slowest track in Lana's released catalog, but for that, I appreciate it and find the emotional payoff to be worth it

10/10

9. Fingertips

What can I say that I haven't already? Devastating and beyond gorgeous. Never heard a Lana track like this before. Very Tori/Fiona/Kate Bush.

10/10

10. Paris, Texas

My least favorite song on the album. It's very good, don't get me wrong, but definitely not my cup of tea.

7.5/10

11. Grandfather...

RIOPY's description of this song feeling like the sea, and seeing the "liquid blue" of the ocean is so accurate. Sings her heart out over a very nautical soundscape and the lyrics are extremely beautiful. The older and wiser brother to Mariners Apartment Complex.

10/10

12. Let the Light In

If someone told me this was a remastered outtake from Ultraviolence, I would believe you. What a phenomenal, bluesy/country twanged track that reminds me a little bit of a more complex IYLDWM. Father John Misty and Lana are musical soulmates, they sound beautiful together.

10/10

13. Margaret

Really sweet song, but I don't have much to say about it. Jack sounds very much like Bon Iver on this song. The "rom com" description of the song from Rolling Stone was pretty accurate for sure. I respect it!

8/10

14. Fishtail

HOLY MOLY. The braindead opinions about this song are why I'm taking a step back from this forum, but this is the collapse of the century. One of her greatest midtempo sultry songs to date. Black Bathing Suit and Tulsa had a beautiful baby. This is the song for the girls who get it.

10/10

15. Peppers

Super, super, super crazy track. I never expected something like this from Lana, although it does echo some of her pre-BTD unreleased. Definitely a bop for the Geminis in the room who love the chaos!

9/10

16. Taco Truck x VB

I don't have much to say about this one, either. It's pretty good and I love the transition to VB. 
8/10

:trisha::lange::cryney2:

Don't leave until after I listen I wanna discuss with you!!