Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

Kintsugi

Spoiler

Think by the third of March, I was cracked open

Finally the ground was cold, they wouldn't open

Brought by the sunlight of the spirit to pour into me

There's a name for it in Japanese, it’s Kintsugi

They sang folk songs from the forties, even the fourteen year old knew froggy came-a courtin 

How do my blood relatives know all of these songs 

I don’t know anyone left who knows songs that I sing 

i think this is the lyric in Kintsugi, ive seen it posted on here as "even befourteen/before new froggy according/accordion" 

but idk, this makes more sense to me? 

froggy went-a courtin is a nursery rhyme/folk song dating back to the 1500s for reference

2 minutes ago, blackestday89 said:
  Hide contents

It is a flop album. Taco truck, a&w , peppers, fishtails, sweet - good songs, but the Rest is unlistenable for me. 

it is not a flop

giphy.gif

21 minutes ago, paradise27390 said:

Hello my loves! :kiss:

Yall don't know me coz I pop up once a year to give my take and then I'm gone again (this is how to disappear :blush3:

But bloody hell do I enjoy these pre-release thread.

Thanks for so much entertainment!

My take:

Hide contents

I see alot of comments regarding lack of cohesion a la LFL.

I for one think it's a very cohesive record. Only one jarring edition would be peppers but its still a serve!

The album as a whole is very whimsical, very ethereal in parts with it's strong lyricism of death, wandering (almost like a travel log) and I especially love the imagery of mountains that run through several songs (mountains being a strong metaphor for Heaven).

My partner and I love it when Lana comes back with a new record.

I met him 7 years ago next month and he had never heard of her. I got him hooked when he realised she was a walking allegory for sadness. He's attracted to anyone tragic (his heroes are Virginia Woolf, Paula Yates, Alexander Mqueen and Isabella Blow - need I say more).

Lana's work has struck a chord with him several times before but never so much as it did tonight playing these leaks.

From Paris, Texas he was gone. The pair of us sitting on the sofa, beers in hand just pissing tears.

So if that's not a strong indication of a great record I dont know what is.

He's had alot of pain in his life. We both have. And we get emotional when something stirs those feelings. Loss of loved ones particularly. This album hits hard. 

Really hard. It's shrouded in death, longing for those passed over, but hopeful too that there will be reunion in salvation.

There is some incredible production on this record. And Lana's vocals are heavenly. I feel she's altered her singing style once again. I can't quite put my finger on it right now it's different. Maybe a lower register? Maybe the mastering? Not sure.

But we have some career highlights on Ocean Blvd!

I can see how it may be polarizing. With every new album she takes herself further away from that original Hollywood sadcore aesthetic, and more into Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, with a splash of Lennon and Stevie Nicks thrown in. But I am here for this "enlightenment".

It's early days but after initial listen these are my highlights:

1. Margaret (she missed a trick not having this as the closing track. Perfection and sums up the main themes of the record. Very Lennon/ Stevie Nicks "Two Kinds of Love").

2. Paris, Texas (Victorian carousel waltz or a secret jewelry box in a dusty attic. Played it 5 times in a row. Cried. Elegant, simple and breaking. Sometimes less is more).

3. Fishtail (Perfect Bridge between the reflective balladry and the closing bangers. Amazing production).

4. The Grants (Heaven. Pure heaven. The climax of Grandmother's last smile so impactful. Perfectly sums up her intentions of this work. This album is family, those here and those gone. So moving).

5. Let The Light In (Can we say Lennon and Bowie making sweet sweet love??? All that talk about backdoor! Great song. Very beetles inspired. The sequel to Tomorrow Never Came. And I Live!!).

6. Grandfather (She really managed to conjure up the sea with this production. Just beautiful and watery images with that surf vibe build up. This song is right at home on NFR. Sequel to Mariners Complex).

In comparison to Blue Banisters we are a step in the right direction. 

BB had some moments but it was a bit of new lana, mixed with angry Lana, ballad lana and sprinkled with demo lana with new and old vocal styles all over the place. Not to mention coming out so soon after Cocc it was never going to spread it's wings and fly like it deserved to.

Ocean Blvd stands on high with NFR as a remarkable, moving body of work by a truly gifted artist, and her most poignant, honest, and dare I say, most genuine and authentic album to date. :gclap:

Signing off bang, bang, kiss, kiss.

:wink:

Beautiful take! Thank you! 

8Qg234E.gif

Spoiler

Given the album 2 listens. It is her longest project, but the issue is it feels like a long project. Songs can drag on, and the production on her vocals makes it hard to understand what she's saying a lot of the time, which makes it hard to see it as a lyrically focused album. THAT BEING SAID!!!! I do like the album quite a bit, and a lot of these songs are beautiful, and it's great to have some bangers again after all these years. 

NFR

UV

Honeymoon

BTD/Paradise

LFL

AKA

DYKTTATUOB

COTCC

BB

in my opinion

gonna give the album another listen or two before i give my track by track thoughts

25 minutes ago, living legend said:

i’m having a war with my mind 

part of me wants to cave in and listen to the leak because if i end up going to the listening party, i don’t want my first time hearing the record to be with a group of random people probably playing on the overhead speakers of the record store. i have a specific listening ritual when it comes to lana’s records and i don’t want to ruin that. 

Do you :kiss:

anyways

Spoiler

tropico sequel with fishtail peppers and taco truck when? :makeup2:

─── ・ 。: *.☽ .* :。 ───

9.gif

You're the king mafia baby
I am the Queen of Alchemy