Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

2 hours ago, peppa pig said:

the way i pictured my bf and i slow dancing to this.... i cannot stop crying it's so beautiful. their voices are so perfect together 

Spoiler

The only thing I would consider changing about it is making it a proper duet. Would’ve loved to hear FJM sing a verse

whatarecoloris.jpg

Spoiler

Here are my thoughts track by track: 

Paris, Texas: in some ways this is my favorite, because it’s so ethereal, mysterious, and concise. I love the way she uses her voice here. There’s something magical about it in every way; in that sense, it reminds me of ‘Bel-Air.’ 10/10 

Grandfather: Lana uses the same ‘strained’ voice she used on ‘White Dress’ on parts of this song, and I am not sure that that adds a great deal to the song. The lyrics are absolutely amazing, and so powerful, especially the parts about her inner and outer beauty and how it wasn’t the result of some ad campaign. Also very magical. 10/10 

Let the Light In: Bravo. I especially like that the production didn’t push it into a more commercial-friendly zone. It’s beautiful and, for the most part, Lana’s and Misty’s voices work well together. Wonderful lyrics and metaphors. This, in my opinion, should have been a single or THE single. 10/10

Margaret: A nice little pop number, cleverly produced, good lyrics, different. Jack’s forte isn’t singing IMO, but since this is about his girlfriend, I’m not bothered by his vocal participation.  7/10 

Sweet: another magical ballad, cleverly incorporating the RBFY melody. Impossible not to like, leagues better than ‘Beautiful.’  9/10 

The Grants: what can I say? The ‘do you think of heaven?’ line is gorgeously sung, kind of like the very essence of Lana boiled down to one sentence. I hate the intro and skip it. I wish the song had climaxed with a little more energy. Like many of the OC tracks, it has a reflective, meditative, sleepy quality. 9/10 

Peppers: again, this is a track that could have been pushed into a more commercial frame, but apparently purposefully wasn’t. It has a lot of energy and a beat. It’s not one of my favorites, but I like it and it shows how Lana can disappear into a song and give up a ‘genuine’ first-person narrative. This is fun music for its own sake. 7/10 

Taco Truck: I love the entire first part, but just when it seems to be really taking off and going somewhere, it shifts into a grunge version of VB, and, as we said earlier, it seems like something of a missed opportunity. Not that I mind VB rearing its head. 7/10 

Kintsugi: it resembles ‘Fingertips,’ but I find ‘Kintsugi’ vastly superior. Though it has a rambling style, it works, and I love its sound. The message relates directly to ‘Let the Light In.’ 10/10 

A&W: I like it more now, in the wider context of the entire album. I’m not sure what the message is; I’m taking it at face value. I slightly prefer the second part. 7/10 

Fingertips: I like it, I don’t love it yet.  Maybe when I’ve had time to really digest the lyrics I will feel differently, when it begins to speak to me. 6/10 

Fishtail: it’s clearly the fraternal twin of ‘Tulsa Jesus Freak,’ but I like ‘Fishtail’ a lot more. I love the mention of the bayou. As a matter of fact, though it resembles TJF, it still has a something all its own that we haven’t heard from Lana yet. Fun. 9/10 

There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd: I still haven’t warmed to this track, which feels concocted, maudlin, and forced to me. Unlike many here, I don’t find the lyrics amazing, but instead somewhat clumsy, and the shout out to ‘Hotel California’ too obvious. I hate the ‘fuck me to death’ line, but even without it, I wouldn’t care for it. I’ll leave it there. I’m not going to rate it. I think I’ve said enough. 

The  two interludes: I greatly prefer the Judah Smith interlude, which I think would have been enough. The other doesn’t do anything at all for me. Maybe it’s a grower. 

Candy Necklace: what will it be like? No matter, it certainly can’t sink the album even if it’s a stinker. Will be a bop or a ballad?? Or something in between? I’m excited to hear it. 

Album rating overall: 9 1/2 out of 10. 
One of her very best. 

This album seems very slay. I feel like this album was literally made for me. I love everything she does but recently I’ve been really craving some really deep sad stuff from her. And my favorite stuff from Lana are really sexy glamorous songs. So the fact that I’m getting an album full of that stuff is so excited like I can’t believe it. 

Also the aesthetic is unbelievable 

13 minutes ago, Venice Peach said:
  Hide contents

It's the same vocals (maybe with some hidden or unheard stems in some parts) but a totally different instrumental. It mainly uses the chorus/postchorus of VB.

But we don't know if it's from a real early version/demo or if it's new (or a mix of both :thumb2:

Spoiler

So I shouldn’t expect electric guitars and stuff like the original one but just the vocals from the piano part right? :um2:

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy

6 minutes ago, margaret soty said:

I know we all have different opinions, but some should never have been post. :slayty:

and why are so many people focusing on what they don't like about the album instead of what they like? Isn't it obvious that not everything is going to be everyones cup of tea and thats totally ok. 

2 minutes ago, x VB said:
  Hide contents

So I shouldn’t expect electric guitars and stuff like the original one but just the vocals from the piano part right? :um2:

Spoiler

no piano

1 hour ago, paradisetropico said:

i have not listened yet, will be waiting , but for those of us that didn’t particularly lose our wigs to the grants, will we be happy ? will we win? loved Ocean and A&W but the grants i need more time to digest i think 

I think you will lose your wig. It’s spectacular and unprecedented in her catalog. It does ‘go forward,’ which many felt COCC and BB did not, but it goes sideways as well. It is really different from anything she’s done. It’s a new Lana. 

1 minute ago, renaissance said:
  Hide contents

GET HIGH

DROP ACID

Spoiler

NEVER DIE- NOT 2NITE!

I feel Ike this album is the renaissance of Lana Del Rey. I definitely don’t believe in new Lana and old Lana but I think after the events of 2020 she wasn’t feeling inspired and wasn’t creating like she use to. But now she really is feeling inspired again and really reinventing the Lana we all know (bringing in the sexy stuff and the glamorous vintage aesthetic). It feels really exciting 

Spoiler

I think candy necklace having some sort of a beat or big production would secure aoty tbh. I think that because 2 very wordy songs with not too much of a big production follow it, it would make everything feel idk…nicer? I don’t know. But from the snippet I’m very excited