Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

6 minutes ago, Jeanne Dielman said:

Hide contents

I haven't listened to it, but apparently the interlude features electric guitars, right? There is electric guitar on the production credits of Candy Necklace - Nick Waterhouse, the main producer of the song, is the one who's playing it, btw! - so I wonder if the track gradually develops to something else (according to the credits the track features a lot of strings, too + celesta!). @Kintsugi told us that the track is "massive", far superior to the early track that was supposed to be features on the album, and that it's going to make the album release day "special" for all of those who have already listened to the rest of the album. It *has* to be good, right?

Someone mentioned that the outro of the Judah Smith Interlude feels like an intro/buildup for the next song on the tracklist. Is it true? That would be interesting. 

I wouldn't trust any of the insiders giving vague ass reviews of cn. They probably haven't even listened to the song, but being put between the interludes it should be an interesting track imo.

21 minutes ago, MJx said:
  Reveal hidden contents

no piano

Spoiler

No I was talking about the chorus and pre-chorus of the piano part. The “you’re in yard, I light the fire […]” part

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy

3 minutes ago, x VB said:
  Hide contents

No I was talking about the chorus and pre-chorus of the piano part. The “you’re in yard, I light the fire […]” part

Spoiler

its not that part

i am really obsessed n tried to break down the Kintsugi lyrics (w the help of my lovely sweetipie bf) how i understand them ...... i am likely wrong on many fronts but its just how my mind made sense of them! also i cant articulate for the life of me, not very eloquently anyway & tried to keep it short as possible.... lolol so sorry for that

but yeah :) if this gets lost in the void thats also okay :rollin:

Spoiler

(Verse 1)

There's a certain point the body can't come back from

In one year we've learned the turn of the mouth

The depth that the chest cavity takes

i think here she's talking about what happens to the body after death, just the basic biology of it

the chest cavity consists of the heart & lungs so the "depth" is perhaps the lowest point- when they fail & lose function, she witnessed this

the turn of the mouth could simply be the frown  or way ones mouth rests once dead

Chucky was there for three out of three 

I was there for the third cause I couldn't be there for the one who was closest to me

likely stands for the 3 deaths she faced recently- her grandmother's, grandfather's & uncles.

Chuck was present when these deaths happens whereas Lana was either physically or emotionally (or both) unavailable for at least 2 of them.

"I couldn't be there for the one who was closest to me" might allude to her Uncle Dave's death cause we know she was in Monaco from Fingertips

But I can’t say I run when things get hard

It's just that I don’t trust myself with my heart

But I’ve had to let it break a little more 

Cause they say that's what it's for 

(Chorus)

That's how the light shines in 

It’s how the light gets in

just listen to Leonard Cohen's Anthem. baha if you know you know..

"Ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering, there is a crack a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

but too long didnt listen: basically she knows that people say when you go through pain in life you emerge stronger, that there is beauty in pain & hardship but she still hasn't *quite*  realised this for herself

(Verse 2)

So everyone was there

They were standing, laughing

And I’m on the side with my tears streaming down 

Something about the clutch of the wrist 

He thought mine was his to cough into his mouth 

presumably she's talking about being at the deathbed of the loved one she was "there for"

it seems like her other relatives were trying to be optimistic in the moment- making jokes, talking about happy old memories to ensure they could go out in peace but it was too difficult for Lana, she only felt her pain in that moment

"the clutch of the wrist" line made me think of the sick/older relative in the hospital bed grabbing onto Lana's wrist for support to cough since their body & lungs were probably giving up severely at this point, not like a super conscious choice or anything hence the "he thought mine was his to cough into, his mouth"

We've only got hours and I just can't stop crying

Cause all of the ways when you see someone dying

pretty straightforward, her relative could die any time now 

The sea of your days flash in front of you

And you think about who will be with you 

And then there's Donoghue

when you experience death of another, you might also think of/picture your own death & start to wonder what it'll be like- who you'll have standing around you

& naturally, one would think of their closest friends, family &  partner in this situation

she's been romantically involved with Donoghue over the past year or two now which could have brought him to mind.

maybe she is imagining him with her while she dies?

(Verse 3)

Daddy I miss them, I’m in the mountains 

I’m probably running away from the feelings I get

When I think of all the things about them

Daddy I miss them, I’m at the Roadrunner Cafe 

I’m probably running away from the thoughts in the day

That have things to do with them 

more straightforward also- she's been quite in denial about these deaths within her family.

she's tried to distract herself & ignore those feelings

But they say 

(Chorus)

That's how the light gets in 

this hints that she slowly but surely is coming to the realisation that she needs to face&accept it all & let her heart break because in that she will find the healing,

referencing back to the famous Cohen quote

(Verse 4)

Think by the third of March, I was cracked open

by this point, she seems to have passed the denial stage of grief & reaches acceptance. she has let her heart break and feel the pain fully.

Finally the ground was cold, they wouldn't open

possibly a metaphor for her relatives being buried in their graves-

it made me think of how in Joan Didion's docu after her husband's death she was staring at his clothes in the closet & a friend said "we have to get rid of this stuff" & she answered "well what if he comes back?" 

so you know, i think "they wouldn't open" is finally Lana understanding they aren't coming back, even if it felt plausible for some time.

again, to me, this bit is all about her acceptance of the situation

Brought by the sunlight of the spirit to pour into me

There's a name for it in Japanese, it’s Kintsugi

this signifies her healing

she's ready to move on from the grief but her loved ones & all the grand memories she shared with them can still stay with her.

their spirits can live on within her now in a positive way - that's her Kintsugi, her gold.

They sang folk songs from the forties even the fourteen year old knew froggy came-a courtin

How do my blood relatives know all of these songs 

I don’t know anyone left who knows songs that I sing 

something particular & special to her lineage, they passed down the folk song/nursery rhyme Froggy Went-a Courtin

(Chorus)

:))))))

(Verse 5)

But daddy I miss them, I’m at the Roadrunner Cafe

Probably running away from the feelings today 

In the snow capped mountains of the desert 

Probably running away, I’m meaning to say

That there's nothing to do except know that 

(Chorus)

This is how the light gets in 

Like cracking the light gets in

It's how the light gets in

you notice a profound difference in the final line before the chorus

here she says "I'm meaning to say that there's nothing to do except know that this is how the light gets in"

so she has now taken on the philosophies of Kintsugi & Leonard Cohen's Anthem sentiment herself instead of fearing/denying them

in the first two verses, before the choruses she sings "But they say" & "Cause they say" almost as if she just didn't fully believe in it

she has come out of the situation stronger, wiser & more resilient:

(Outro)

And you're golden, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh oh, oh-oh-oh-oh-ooh

Just another folk song but hey

I try so hard but that's okay 

It's how the light gets in, It's how the light gets in

one of her best songs of all time basically. an interesting exploration into the human psyche, death, the stages of grief & so on.

3 minutes ago, MJx said:

i feel like she always picks the wrong songs to be singles.... not that i dont like them, i just feel like a lot of the other songs would have been better choices

Yeah she should have picked both interludes and Fingertips. 

Spoiler

In all honesty, all 3 singles perfectly sum up the sound of this album. 

The grants for all piano girlies

Ocean blvd for songs like let the light in and Margaret

A&W for the last few ending tracks 

D.png

4 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

i am really obsessed n tried to break down the Kintsugi lyrics how i understand them ...... i am likely wrong on many fronts but its just how my mind made sense of them!

also i cant articulate for the life of me, not very eloquently anyway & tried to keep it short as possible.... lolol so sorry for that

Reveal hidden contents

(Verse 1)

i think here she's talking about what happens to the body after death, just the basic biology of it

the chest cavity consists of the heart & lungs so the "depth" is perhaps the lowest point- when they fail & lose function, she witnessed this

the turn of the mouth could simply be the frown  or way ones mouth rests once dead

I was there for the third cause I couldn't be there for the one who was closest to me

likely stands for the 3 deaths she faced recently- her grandmother's, grandfather's & uncle Dave's.

Chuck was present when these deaths happens whereas Lana was either physically or emotionally (or both) unavailable for at least 2 of them.

"I couldn't be there for the one who was closest to me" might allude to her Uncle Dave's death cause we know she was in Monaco from Fingertips

(Chorus)

"Ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering, there is a crack a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

but too long didnt listen: basically she knows that people say when you go through pain in life you emerge stronger, that there is beauty in pain & hardship but she still hasn't *quite*  realised this for herself

(Verse 2)

So everyone was there

presumably she's talking about being at the deathbed of the loved one she was "there for"

it seems like her other relatives were trying to be optimistic in the moment- making jokes, talking about happy old memories to ensure they could go out in peace but it was too difficult for Lana, she only felt her pain in that moment

"the clutch of the wrist" line made me think of the sick/older relative in the hospital bed grabbing onto Lana's wrist for support to cough since their body & lungs were probably giving up severely at this point, not like a super conscious choice or anything hence the "he thought mine was his to cough into, his mouth"

when you experience death of another, you might also think of/picture your own death & start to wonder what it'll be like- who you'll have standing around you

& naturally, one would think of their closest friends, family &  partner in this situation

she's been romantically involved with Donoghue over the past year or two now which could have brought him to mind.

(Verse 3)

more straightforward also- she's been quite in denial about the deaths within her family.

But they say 

(Chorus)

this hints that she slowly but surely is coming to the realisation that she needs to face&accept it all & let her heart break because in that she will find the healing,

again referencing back to the famous Cohen quote

(Verse 4)

by this point, she seems to have passed the denial stage of grief & reaches acceptance. she has let her heart break and feel the pain fully.

it made me think of how in Joan Didion's docu after her husband's death she was staring at his clothes in the closet & a friend said "we have to get rid of this stuff" & she answered "well what if he comes back?" 

so you know, i think "they wouldn't open" is finally Lana understanding they aren't coming back, even if it felt plausible for some time.

she's ready to move on from the grief but her loved ones & all the grand memories she shared with them can still stay with her.

their spirits can live on within her now in a positive way - that's her Kintsugi, her gold.

They sang folk songs from the forties even the fourteen year old knew froggy came-a courtin

something particular & special to her lineage, they passed down the folk song/nursery rhyme Froggy Went-a Courtin

(Chorus)

(Verse 5)

(Chorus)

here she says "I'm meaning to say that there's nothing to do except know that this is how the light gets in"

so she has now taken on the philosophies of Kintsugi & Leonard Cohen's Anthem sentiment herself instead of fearing/denying them

in the first two verses, before the choruses she sings "But they say" & "Cause they say" almost as if she just didn't fully believe in it

(Outro)

one of her best songs of all time basically. an interesting exploration into the human psyche, death, the stages of grief & so on.

Spoiler

This is a really thoughtful breakdown and I too have gotten kind of obsessed with this song tonight. Thank you for sharing. 

the first verse, I think, refers to when someone is actively dying, their mouth is generally open, and in sort of a hard to look at way. And also depth of the chest cavity makes me think of watching their breaths, wondering if it will be their last.

When a family member of mine died this summer, we as a family went through the process Lana talks about, and that’s what these two things reminded me of 

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

14 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I think she now realizes she doesn’t have to stick to standard forms, structures,  and formats, a la ‘Arcadia,’ ‘Wild At Heart,’ or ‘LMLYLAW.’ She started experimenting with VB, and I think that’s her future for the time being. Obviously she’s done very well doing that here. 

I think guitar strings and traps will be her future. Songs like taco truck, peppers and a&w will get the most attention. And she will going on building these style in her new album i think. 

its not simple its trigonometry on We Heart It

1 minute ago, sadness is a butterfly said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This is a really thoughtful breakdown and I too have gotten kind of obsessed with this song tonight. Thank you for sharing. 

the first verse, I think, refers to when someone is actively dying, their mouth is generally open, and in sort of a hard to look at way. And also depth of the chest cavity makes me think of watching their breaths, wondering if it will be their last.

When a family member of mine died this summer, we as a family went through the process Lana talks about, and that’s what these two things reminded me of 

Spoiler

no problem at all, thank YOU for taking the time to read it & share your own thoughts!

i think that is what i was trying to get at for sure, you made it make more sense, thank you for sharing & I'm sending you so much love (&some white butterflies)

:kiss::spin:

Just now, blackestday89 said:

I think guitar strings and traps will be her future. Songs like taco truck, peppers and a&w will get the most attention. And she will going on building these style in her new album i think. 

I agree. These ballads, while amazing, are clearly more what people expect from her. The critics will love the new forms she’s working with. 

9 hours ago, Vertimus said:
  Hide contents

If she does say Spain, then the word that sounds like Alabama is probably the Alhambra. 

Spoiler

Definitely says “Got ‘em in Florence, Alabama”

cities mentioned:

Paris, Texas

Florence, Alabama

Venice, California

By the way, thanks for that, on the way, I'll pray for ya
But you'll need a miracle
America

27 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

i am really obsessed n tried to break down the Kintsugi lyrics (w the help of my lovely sweetipie bf) how i understand them ...... i am likely wrong on many fronts but its just how my mind made sense of them! also i cant articulate for the life of me, not very eloquently anyway & tried to keep it short as possible.... lolol so sorry for that

Reveal hidden contents

(Verse 1)

likely stands for the 3 deaths she faced recently- her grandmother's, grandfather's & uncle Dave's.

(Chorus)

(Verse 2)

So everyone was there

(Verse 3)

more straightforward also- she's been quite in denial about these deaths within her family.

But they say 

(Chorus)

referencing back to the famous Cohen quote

(Verse 4)

(Chorus)

(Verse 5)

(Chorus)

(Outro)

i’m obsessed with you and this breakdown, thank you. i’m going to sleep soundly after this :defeated::wub:

Spoiler

Oh wow, Paris, Texas just punched me in the throat over this sample like HELLO! WHEN YOU KNOW YOU KNOW! 

I’m moving to a new city in a few weeks and leaving my partner, my job, my friends, my drag career…this hitting rn

1 minute ago, Mariahspoolboy said:
  Hide contents

Oh wow, Paris, Texas just punched me in the throat over this sample like HELLO! WHEN YOU KNOW YOU KNOW! 

I’m moving to a new city in a few weeks and leaving my partner, my job, my friends, my drag career…this hitting rn

Spoiler

patiently waiting for your reaction to margaret :wub: