Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

3 minutes ago, Evergreen said:

The scores from Mojo Magazine are one of the most influential on Metacritic. Getting an 80/100 from them is like a 90/100 or 100/100 from lesser-known publications. A good start. :)

That’s good to know! I was concerned that critics will look at OB and then NFR and be like “well it’s not that good so we’ll put it next to COCC/BB”

24 minutes ago, ultrabanisters said:

i mean unless they want ben and ed to set the authorities on them for copyright infringement i wouldnt leak it either... :ma: the album is literally out in less than a week you can wait for one song

oh please u think the person that leaked the rest of the album will get in trouble? plus if they don't wanna leak it themselves they can send it to someone who will do it for them, or even leak it in LQ, you think Lust For Lisa or cassette girl were in trouble?

19 minutes ago, sjatib said:

So there's people in the forum with the album already among their hands? 

correct

So I gave in & listened to the album:umadney: I really wasn’t going to but I have been struggling with some mental health stuff and felt like I could use the pick me up. Also if I go to the listening party on Wednesday I really don’t want that to be my first listen. Anyway, first impressions incoming. Sorry for not holding out with the rest of the strong soldiers :xcry:

Why are people having a meltdown over MOJO's 80/100 review?! It's a great score. They rarely give 100s to albums and when they do they usually give them to non-mainstream or rock records. MOJO's music critic loved the album; she just felt that a couple of audacious/risky choices didn't pan out the way they should have had (apparently the Judah Smith interlude is the only track that she truly didn't like). Had she been able to give this a 90/100, she probably would have (MOJO only gives 100s, 80s, 60s, 40s, and 20s). DYKTTATUOB doesn't have the overtly pleasant/accessible sound of NFR, so it won't be as unanimously loved as that album. But I will be (negatively) surprised if this gets a lower MC score than COTCC and BB which were both considered relatively safe/tepid/lukewarm follow-ups to NFR by most critics. All singles have been critically acclaimed so far. And given that Pitchfork gave BNT to A&W, then I'm pretty sure they're going to dig the unexpected direction of the album's overall sound. Of course The Guardian's A***** P******* has already written his 60/100 review for the record, wbk. 

I am gagged by the unexpected rise of the streaming numbers of The Grants, btw. It's featured on very few playlists, lol! How did that happen? 

Spoiler

where is our gangster nancy sinatra??? where is rick nowels where is emile haynie??? where is the depressed beach boys vibe???

I'm holding on to taco truck right now because it's the only thing keeping me afloat.

this song is hope!!!!!

(also give credit to fishtails aw  peppers and sweet if you like)

its not simple its trigonometry on We Heart It

9 minutes ago, shadesofyayo said:

wonder what The Guardian will give it, probably a 60 or 70 again :delish:

Honestly I think The Guardian will appreciate the variety, they usually complain about her albums sounding one note and boring. But they loved L4L

Spoiler

Fishtails has really grown on me. Wish the lyrics were stronger but the vibe is cute 

And Margaret... I mean Lana coulda done Evermore but Taylor NEVER coulda done DYKTTATUOB. Still one of my least favorites on the album though. 

1 minute ago, blackestday89 said:
Spoiler

where is our gangster nancy sinatra??? where is rick nowels where is emile haynie??? where is the depressed beach boys vibe???

ok this is getting unfunny…

and also for giving me Margaret

4 minutes ago, Jeanne Dielman said:

Why are people having a meltdown over MOJO's 80/100 review?! It's a great score. They rarely give 100s to albums and when they do they usually give them to non-mainstream or rock records. MOJO's music critic loved the album; she just felt that a couple of audacious/risky choices didn't pan out the way they should have (the Judah Smith interlude is the only track that she didn't like apparently). Had she been able to give this a 90/100, she probably would have (MOJO only gives 100s, 80s, 60s, 40s, and 20s). DYKTTATUOB doesn't have the overtly pleasant/accessible sound of NFR, so it won't be as unanimously loved as that album. But I will be (negatively) surprised if this gets a lower MC score than COTCC and BB which were both considered relatively safe/tepid/lukewarm follow-ups to NFR by most critics. All singles have been critically acclaimed so far. And given that Pitchfork gave BNT to A&W, then I'm pretty sure they're going to dig the unexpected direction of the album's overall sound.

I am gagged by the unexpected rise of the streams of The Grants, btw. It's featured on very few playlists, lol! How did that happen? 

It was one of her strengths to make a sound which is deep/mysterious and accesible. 

its not simple its trigonometry on We Heart It

3 minutes ago, blackestday89 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm holding on to taco truck right now because it's the only thing keeping me afloat.

this song is hope!!!!!

The Gangster Nancy Sinatra is back in 2014 bb

6 minutes ago, blackestday89 said:
  Hide contents

this song is hope!!!!!

“Gangster Nancy Sinatra” please :rip: 

2012 was over 10 years ago please join us in present day!!!!

6 minutes ago, blackestday89 said:
  Hide contents

this song is hope!!!!!

You know she’s almost 40, right..? Lmao wtf.

7 minutes ago, blackestday89 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

this song is hope!!!!!

im with u , don't listen these boring people

17 minutes ago, shadesofyayo said:

wonder what The Guardian will give it, probably a 60 or 70 again :delish:

I honestly don’t care about the guardian reviews, they are always ridiculous. Didn’t they have two reviews for the same thing by two different people with vastly different scores lmao

19 hours ago, Sportscruiser said:

I’m incredibly emotional with one of the songs right now. Apologies for pouring my thoughts into here rn.

Hide contents

Paris, Texas has managed to capture what no other song by anyone was ever able to - in fact, I remember often trying to think of a song that could express this very specific feeling I’ve always felt but couldn’t really explain or even decipher. A feeling of longing, not for someone or something, but for home - not just in a spacial sense but also in an emotional one.

5 years ago I moved from this smaller town here in Portugal to our capital Lisbon and it changed myself for the better specially after all the traumatic events that had happened in the years prior. Since moving, I have found a group of friends that I consider my family, I’ve strengthened the ties with my mother and little brother even further (they’re still in our hometown) and I’ve had a lot of good and bad experiences living as a functional and independent adult - in all of them there was always this constant state of navigating in between places, people and experiences, in search for that ultimate feeling of belonging and rooting in a place or a perfect mental state or a fulfilling relationship or this illusion that I’m not growing old soon and still have a lot of vitality and life left. And yet, despite all of my complications as far as my past and my traumas go and all of the adversities the cosmos keeps throwing my way, there’s always this little fuzzy spark inside (intuition?) that keeps me traveling above the clouds in search for my own definition of home. It seems like it’s a journey that never ends - maybe that’s the point.

And it’s perfectly depicted in Paris, Texas by the entire song but summed in two perfectly simple sentences “when you know, you know, it’s time to go”. It’s exactly that. What a tremendous gift this song (and album) is. It feels less lonely now. Thank you for that, Lana.

Gosh I haven’t heard the song yet but what you wrote is so beautiful! You should DM it to Lana when the album is released. She may even use it on a song on the future:trisha: