Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

You all need to realize, critics are not fans of the music they listen to. They listen to so many new releases that they would probably not even play the same thing twice. An 80/100 or 8/10 is a high enough review that that's not bad. that's 4/5 stars. Considering some of the lyrics on this album, specifically at the end and i don't want to put this in spoilers because I'm not spoiling anything, I'm surprised they didn't feel any type of way. Maybe they didn't pay attention to the lyrics, who knows. But they aren't Lana fans. They've probably heard her music before, they know it's good but they don't find it to be life changing. A lot of us have a grandiose expectation from her and sometimes we feel we get what we want so it's automatically "brilliant" and the music IS good imo, but I couldn't see this being a 10/10, 100/100 album. It's good, but at the same time it's long in places that shouldn't be and short in places it shouldn't be. The interludes are about 2 minutes too long, the last three tracks of the album are about 3 minutes too short each track, and the album is still good. 

The critics never love Lana, it's something we'll always have to deal with. Lana needs to accept it herself. Realize the music is there for those who care to listen and who care to give it a try, but it's also not going to hit with everyone. Sometimes her music is only for some people who get it. 

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Despite being one of the most popular artists of our time, she is criminally overlooked by awards, underappreciated as a writer and largely misunderstood, causing her to basically withdraw from public life as she made her Instagram private and shrugged off the concept of a release cycle for her last few records. - gigwise

They're so real 

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

5 minutes ago, bluebanist said:

“Peppers,” an excursion into rap which is an absolute mess; so incoherent that it's excruciating.

oh the line has it coming 4 them..

Spoiler

They can choke on my pepper

the audacity …

I can’t stand her team anymore. This was clearly an attempt to ramp up hype in the UK, but it’s a market she generally does well in anyway. You know where she needs promo? The US. A market she’s been underperforming in since NFR.

I get that Lana doesn’t do promo anymore, but it seems silly of them to lift the embargo on these reviews so early. For what reason exactly? This album clearly isn’t as palatable as NFR or Chemtrails or even BB. It’s just a lame strategy imo, but I guess it was a risk that just didn’t pan out. Ugh.

Just now, bluebanist said:

“Peppers,” an excursion into rap which is an absolute mess; so incoherent that it's excruciating.

oh the line has it coming 4 them..

Peppers is for the girls and the gays who unironically have Ice Spice, Ethel Cain, Charli XCX, Azealia Banks, and Lana Del Rey all in one playlist. Some people just won’t get it

35 minutes ago, LifeOnMars said:

What if they actually received the version without CN…

As a member of ~the media~ who receives IP locked releases from labels for review (this wasn't one of them), I've never received one from an Interscope artist where a track was missing so it's unlikely.

BzhmW.png

Sputnik is a reactionary reviewer. They hate Lana, always have, so they only review her albums to bring down her score.

Chemtrails was at an 85 before their 30/100 score sent her to 81. That's why a higher base score is nice to have since the reason they review her is solely to tank her. 

Just now, anwdelrey said:

I can’t stand her team anymore. This was clearly an attempt to ramp up hype in the UK, but it’s a market she generally does well in anyway. You know where she needs promo? The US. A market she’s been underperforming in since NFR.

I get that Lana doesn’t do promo anymore, but it seems silly of them to lift the embargo on these reviews so early. For what reason exactly? This album clearly isn’t as palatable as NFR or Chemtrails or even BB. It’s just a lame strategy imo, but I guess it was a risk that just didn’t pan out. Ugh.

Actually for sales it’s a good strategy. The GP doesn’t necessarily care for the scores of reviews themselves. The article with the review will pop on your mother’s facebook feed and she’ll be like oh I actually didn’t know that there’s a tunnel under ocean blv, lemme check it out. It’s just another form of promo and getting the news out there. 

Just now, anwdelrey said:

I think Lana’s legacy will be very similar to Courtney Love’s.

Always preceded by their reputations and preconceptions, never taken seriously or considered in the likes of other legends, essentially becoming immortalized as caricatures of themselves despite making great music.

The good thing is I think Lana’s aware of this and has accepted it, whereas Courtney Love still challenges it.

Take a break because you clearly don't know what are you talking about. :air2:

2 minutes ago, drewby said:

As a member of ~the media~ who receives IP locked releases from labels for review (this wasn't one of them), I've never received one from an Interscope artist where a track was missing so it's unlikely.

I was mainly joking. Far Out mentioned the song in their review. They called it “an infectious slice of road-ready glitch-pop”, which is kind of a weird way to describe CN. 

I can’t believe they were herded into a room and forced to listen on tinny speakers :deadbanana: And that people were able to miss entire tracks yet still review the whole body of work? I don’t have any knowledge of this kind of thing, so maybe that’s standard, but even if it is wtf??

The Gigwise reviewer gets it, and is so real for laying out how it all happened. And she’s def a Lana stan lol. Lucy, are you on LB? :judgingu3: