Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

2 hours ago, Actor said:

If critics gave anything more than 3, it will be a shock for me and i will not be good

You say this after several critics gave the album 70s-100s please quit saying stupid negative shit ❤️

17 minutes ago, Sweet said:

I have to say, if the album is mostly slow ballads with no beats, I am not sure if I will gag just because Lana has done it so much on Blue Banisters (nothing wrong with ballads I just want more) so I am sat for sure but with these reviews, I feel like I am either gonna love it or I'm gonna be indifferent until it hits me. 

Spoiler

bb was not good at all, the ballads on here though are great and production wise a bit more interesting! some ballads are a bit too boring in my opinion like fishtail which does have a trap beat but it didn’t save it, while songs like sweet is all vocals and ambiance and its top 5 for me! so just wait and see for yourself songs like peppers are a upbeat and fun 

1 minute ago, tulsa jesus freaks said:

Sweet

Hide contents

is actually growing on me :cryney2:

Yes see the light babes, you are now a wistful Swedish woman in the north country

Pitchfork added The Grants to their best of the week playlist. I’m still thinking it will get at least a 7.5 from them. It will be interesting to see if American reviews are any different from UK ones. 

7 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:
  Hide contents

Even the trap beats don’t save most of the songs :noparty: it’s ballad City 

I'm also in the "we want pop Lana back" camp. I miss the beats of Born to Die coupled with her old-age voice. That worked so well for me, especially with dramatic lyrics and strings. (Unless it's surf rock Lana or hip-hop Lana, then I'm game all the way!)

But I honestly think it's waste of energy to think that. Clearly, Lana is more interested in being our time's Billie Holliday as opposed to being the new Madonna. With three slow albums back to back (Taco Truck and a few other exceptions aside), she seems firmly positioned and comfortable in the singer-songwriter ballad lane, and I don't see her making any kind of switch. Especially since Jack is, like, her bff now.

So, there's no point in waiting for big pop songs. It isn't gonna happen. We should appreciate what we have. I'm just thankful for the great piano and folk songs that we do have on the last three albums.

Hi all, I took a 6 hour road trip yesterday to give the album a couple of listens straight through. I cant focus at home so I don’t really get the full experience. While I’m in the car, I get to give the music my (almost) full attention. I’ll keep my review of the released songs short since they’ve been talked about so in depth. Here are my thoughts on the album:

Spoiler

Overall, I am a huge fan of it. At first glance you would think that an album containing tracks like Fingertips/Kintsugi and A&W/Peppers would be really disjointed but I feel like it’s actually quite cohesive. I love the connections between songs like Kintsugi/Let The Light In and Fishtail/Peppers. I think there are two distinct vibes to the album, but that it follows well from top to bottom. The first two tracks are reminiscent of the COCC/BB era, and the ending sounds like demos/unreleased tracks. LDR10 unreleased album confirmed?

I don’t think it tops NFR/UV/HM for me yet, but I also hated BB at first and now I am absolutely in love with it. I also did not like the title track when it was released and then after The Grants was released I really really started to love it. So please keep that in mind.

The album as a whole – 9/10

The Grants – 9/10

I love it. I love the intro so much more when the album is cycling because it gives me a second to breathe after Taco Truck. It also is SO different from side D that it reminds me of the growth of the album.

Did you know… - 9/10

WHENS IT GONNA BE MY TURN?????? I stay screaming this. Is there a grindr notif in the background? Triggered.

Sweet – 7/10

I feel like this one might grow on me? It’s fine to me but just doesn’t really move me all that much in comparison to some of the others on the album. I REALLY like how she brought back the way she sings in Wait For Life, though!

A&W – 10/10

I love both halves, fantastic. The transition between the two is amazing.

Judah Smith Interlude – 9/10

This is the one I am excited for most to release so I can get official lyrics of it. The instrumental of it is so so good, and I think the sermon says a lot more than some people are giving it credit for. The last line is the most important for me, because I believe it’s a big “fuck you” to anyone who doesn’t get her. “I used to think my preaching was mostly about you. And you’re not gonna like this, but I’m gonna tell you: I’ve discovered that my preaching is mostly about me.” Lana makes music for herself, and if you enjoy it too, that’s wonderful. If not, too bad.

Jon Batiste Interlude – 9/10

This one gives me such psychedelic Pink Floyd vibes. I love her quiet singing in the background. Man, what a good song. I almost gave it a ten!

Kintsugi – 7/10

I actually don’t really know why I’m not inlove with this one. I’m a huge BB fan and this seems like it fits in there but for some reason it just doesn’t hit me. I think this one will probably grow on me.

Fingertips – 10/10

I understand why some might not like it due to the lack of chorus or anything but this one is so special to me. The way the music swells at “And if I do, will you be there with me? Father, Sister, Brother….” Makes me so emotional. “If I ever get to you, save you, if I take my life, I’d arrest your body, put in into my arms, give you 2 seconds to cry” I’ll stop just listing lyrics but there are so many small snippets of this song that tie it together for me. This is the song I learned the lyrics to the fastest, somehow.

Paris, Texas – 10/10

Before the leaks, I had this one pretty low on my list but I was really impressed with it upon first listen. It just seems like a perfect song without too many extra bits. Most of these tracks have a lot going on with them sonically and this one just seems well executed and simple to me. It sounds like something from a movie to me, which I really like. I also love the lyrics “When you know you know, it’s time to go” very relatable for me. Also the quiet little “but” after “Hello, I call to no one” is just ungh so pretty delicate beautiful.

Grandfather… - 6/10

This one is a skip for me, I’m so sorry. I really wanted to like it but the only parts I’m into are the “Three White Butterflies!’ at the beginning and end. Maybe I just don’t relate to deep sea fishing? I don’t know. I feel like I should like this one, but I can’t.

Let The Light In… 6/10

I kinda vibe when it goes “oooooh, let the light in” but then the rest of the song I am kinda just sitting there. I also skip this one now.

Margaret – 6.5/10

I guess this is a bad 3 song run for me.. I actually don’t hate Jacks part, but for me the song kinda just doesn’t go anywhere I guess.

Fishtail – 9/10

I was really impressed with this song upon first listen. I love the drop once it gets into the chorus. I just like the way this song sounds.

Peppers – 10/10

This song is SO MUCH FUN, I love love love it! The guitar strums, the little beeping thing in the background that was sampled from the original song, the psychedelic guitars, the TRANSITION! I literally stay waking up and having “hands on your knees, Angelina Jolie” stuck in my head. I. Am. Obsessed.

Taco Truck x VB – 8/10

I was sooooo excited for this one and was kinda disappointed. I really like it overall but I don’t really feel like both parts blended well together. It feels like we kinda just immediately transition from Taco Truck to Venice Bitch. I like the new VB, but I prefer the original and the VB portion is longer than the Taco Truck portion. My favorite part was the quiet talking during the transition into VB.

1. Fingertips

2. A&W

3. Peppers

4. Paris, Texas

5. Fishtail

6. Judah Smith Interlude

7. Jon Batiste Interlude

8. Taco Truck x VB

9. Did you know…

10. The Grants

11. Kintsugi

12. Sweet

13. Grandfather…

14. Margaret

15. Let The Light In

sorry for the 3 page essay

Pitchfork just added The Grants to their Pitchfork Selects playlist.

https://pitchfork.com/news/yves-tumor-taylor-swift-amaarae-this-week-pitchfork-selects/

3/3 so far. All three singles have been added to their playlist (with A&W getting the Best New Track seal of approval as well). This is the first time that this has happened to a Lana record since the playlist's inception in 2020 (none of the COCC singles or album tracks made the playlist; Text Book was the only pre-release single to make the playlist, while both Black Bathing Suit and Sweet Carolina were added after the album's release). 

EDIT: @LifeOnMars Oops! I didn't see your post! :)

4 minutes ago, Jeanne Dielman said:

Pitchfork just added The Grants on their Pitchfork Selects playlist.

https://pitchfork.com/news/yves-tumor-taylor-swift-amaarae-this-week-pitchfork-selects/

3/3 so far. All three singles have been added on their playlist (with A&W getting the Best New Track seal of approval as well). This is the first time that this has happened to a Lana record since the playlist's inception in 2020 (none of the COCC singles or album tracks made the playlist; Text Book was the only pre-release single to make the playlist, while both Black Bathing Suit and Sweet Carolina were added after the album's release). 

EDIT: @LifeOnMars Oops! I didn't see your post! :)

I have to say that those 3 tracks are among the strongest on the record, so It's so damn right to put them in their playlist.

Spoiler

To me Sweet, Candy and Grandfather are the strongest with the 3 singles, I just love them

2 hours ago, summer bummer said:

iNews (whoever they are) gave the album 3 stars

Well the fact nobody knows who they are is very telling 

18 minutes ago, Sweet said:

I have to say, if the album is mostly slow ballads with no beats, I am not sure if I will gag just because Lana has done it so much on Blue Banisters (nothing wrong with ballads I just want more) so I am sat for sure but with these reviews, I feel like I am either gonna love it or I'm gonna be indifferent until it hits me. 

Spoiler

I personally wouldn't consider this a ballad album, I think it's very theatrical with lots of interesting details and twists and turns. There are definitely ballads and slow moments but it all seems very intentional and a part of the larger vision. 

9 minutes ago, tomxev said:

Going ✈️ sunrise records

The one at Cloverdale told me it wouldn't be on the shelves until Friday :toofunny: let me know if you succeed!