Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

Just now, Louise said:

Yes, I liked it. This quote:

That's it in a nutshell! Editor of Gigwise Lucy Harbron demos her skills in one sentence, istead of paragraphs dominating an article.

• criminally overlooked by awards
  • underappreciated as a writer
  • largely misunderstood

Check check check!

Awards: It isn't 100 % true with the Billboard Women in Music Visionary award and Variety 2021 Decade, Award but Lana has not been nominated for a mainstream award like Oscar, which she should have for Big Eyes and Young and Beautiful . . . Billboard and Variety invented the above awards because they knew Lana was past due!

Underappreciated as a writer: As Lana mentioned in Interview, Sasha Frere-Jones wrote:

He must be eating his words now!

NY Times critic Jon Caramanica said:

Caramanica backed out of these words in subsequent reviews, tho, like a lot of critics, and Pitchfork, who revised its BTD rating from 5.5 to in 2021 to 7.8. All these journalism degree writers to do not know how to listen to music, imo. Public education has failed them.

Only recently Lana has begun being celebrated as song-writer, esp. with NFR. Bruce Sprinsteen said about Lana, "Simply One of the Best Songwriters . . . She just creates a world of her own and invites you in."

So the acknowledgement comes from musicians, not journalists, which forces them to pay attention.

Sorry for the long post.

Honestly Louise, your review of the album is the only one I care about. Please make sure to tag me when you post your thoughts! :kiss3:

14 minutes ago, brooklyn Babyy said:

Believe me i didn't stop playing it since it was leaked So DARK & ELEGANT  TOP TOP TOP

no like candy necklace is this album's salvatore moment:oprah:

b2358771937a448cffde372325aa52ea.gif

it escapes from my hands into moonlight . . .

8 minutes ago, SalvaWHORE said:

NFR! - Bombastic Songs EP

Chemtrails - Loved You Then & Now

Blue Banisters - Rock Candy Sweet

Just to be sure - these tracks from Chemtrails and BB never leaked, or did I miss something? (the NFR EP was just called like this by you, or is there more to it?) 

It was expensive watch it 

9 minutes ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

I want to highlight that usually British critics rate her higher than the American ones, prepare yourselves ladies:air:

It’d be heartbreaking if Lana didn’t get at least a BNM staple from Pitchfork specially since they gave it recently to other artists I also love: Caroline Polachek, Kelela, Kali Uchis and Yves Tumor, to name a few.

IMG-7960.jpg

I can't make a ranking because I like all the songs. But this is my top 7.

Spoiler

1. Let The Light In

2. Candy Necklace

3. Margaret

4. Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing

5. Kintsugi

6. A&W

7. Paris, Texas

The reactions to the leak in this forum is giving me major deja vu to when NFR! first leaked. There was a similar vibe in that it was so soft rock compared to her previous releases, and then a bit of spicy divisiveness over which tracks were the best, and a lot of statements on which songs should be removed. 

I take this as a positive, since it's proving the album isn't boring, and I think pared with the reviews (which have been generally positive), that the album is going to be a grower and eventually reach the reputation NFR! has. Do I think the critics will put it as high as that one? Probably not, it seems more introspective and without an overall commentary that they tend to eat up (it was years ago, but my receipts are here somewhere in early 2019, I predicted it's acclaim based on the singles almost a year in advance.) 

In general, the way critics are comparing it to Leonard Cohen, and the fans have been kind of scratching their heads and praising the lyrics in equal measure - this feels like one of those mid-career releases that singer-songwriters do that doesn't become a "best of all time" thing, but that generally most agree is a strong statement and personal denouement that only a great can convince a major label to release. 

This is about all I have to say, at the moment. I'm excited for the record based on the reaction. NFR! ended up being way better than I ever expected it to be, so y'all responding to it the way you are makes me think there's something special and unique to take in - which is nice after the laidback and predictable (not in a bad way) period of COCC and BB. 

the way some people act about the reviews make it seem like she’s at 30 on metacritic :headache: yeah I wanted her to have the NFR acclaim too but this album isn’t accessible to casual listeners enough besides in a few eras it won’t even matter and this album will be remembered as one of the beloved ones by fans just like ultraviolence.

Spoiler

heard the let the light in intro cuz someone posted in on tiktok...i scrolled after like 5 seconds but like y'all why was i ascending already. i mean this whole album is in different areas I'M NOT READY.:oprah:

b2358771937a448cffde372325aa52ea.gif

it escapes from my hands into moonlight . . .

21 minutes ago, Louise said:

Yes, I liked it. This quote:

That's it in a nutshell! Editor of Gigwise Lucy Harbron demos her skills in one sentence, instead of paragraphs dominating an article.

• criminally overlooked by awards
  • underappreciated as a writer
  • largely misunderstood

Check check check!

Awards: It isn't 100 % true with the Billboard Women in Music Visionary award and Variety 2021 Decade, Award but Lana has not been nominated for a mainstream award like Oscar, which she should have for Big Eyes and Young and Beautiful . . . Billboard and Variety invented the above awards because they knew Lana was past due!

Underappreciated as a writer: As Lana mentioned in Interview, Sasha Frere-Jones wrote:

He must be eating his words now!

NY Times critic Jon Caramanica said:

Caramanica backed out of these words in subsequent reviews, tho, like a lot of critics, and Pitchfork, who revised its BTD rating from 5.5 in 2012 to 7.8 in 2021! All these journalism degree writers to do not know how to listen to music, imo. Public education has failed them.

Only recently Lana has begun being celebrated as song-writer, esp. with NFR. Bruce Sprinsteen said about Lana, "Simply One of the Best Songwriters . . . She just creates a world of her own and invites you in."

So acknowledgement comes from musicians, not journalists, which forces journalists to pay attention.

Sorry for the long post.

when an actual elderly speaks, it hits different with the WISE that this thread was lacking among some of these immature people.

I love this Louis, I hope to read more thoughts from you about the album after the release date x

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

5 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

It’d be heartbreaking if Lana didn’t get at least a BNM staple from Pitchfork specially since they gave it recently to other artists I also love: Caroline Polachek, Kelela, Kali Uchis and Yves Tumor, to name a few.

Yves Tumor stan :oprah4::oprah4::oprah4: 

I really like his new album but if Lana gets less than him I'm mad.

PS. the Jealous Girl 'sample' in Operator made me laugh, still love it :hooker:

Not talking about Kali Uchis (also love her) but there's something about Ocean Blvd that's just ahead of them all

2 minutes ago, bluedealer said:

Yves Tumor stan :oprah4::oprah4::oprah4: 

I really like his new album but if Lana gets less than him I'm mad.

PS. the Jealous Girl 'sample' in Operator made me laugh, still love it :hooker:

Not talking about Kali Uchis (also love her) but there's something about Ocean Blvd that's just ahead of them all

Yves Tumor actually deepthroated three of my right hand fingers during their crowdsurfing moment at Primavera 4 years ago. That was something I’ll never forget.

IMG-7960.jpg