Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

3 minutes ago, Max683 said:

Every album receives some sort of criticism. I don't trust the Lana stans reviewing her album on this forum. They are blinded by their love for her that I don't believe their opinions are accurate. I truly believe those that are saying this is her best work, will say the EXACT same thing with her next album. I love Lana, but I understand some of her albums are better than others. 

even if not her best work, its miles better than bb and cotcc :wub:

Just now, Dusk said:

even if not her best work, its miles better than bb and cotcc :wub:

i can agree w that , but bb and cotcc arent really hard to beat . im sure ppl even on this forum have crafted better sounding tracks than whatever bb and cotcc are meant to be 

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

Spoiler

Daddy I miss them, I'm in the mountains. I'm probably running away from the feelings I get when I think all the things about them. Daddy I miss them, I'm at the Roadrunner cafe, I'm probably running away from the thoughts in a day, I have things to do with them but they say "thats how the light gets in"

this song reminds me of Lana's cover of Chealsea Hotel No 2 idk why but it does

:oprah2::icant:

1 minute ago, Max683 said:

Every album receives some sort of criticism. I don't trust the Lana stans reviewing her album on this forum. They are blinded by their love for her that I don't believe their opinions are accurate. I truly believe those that are saying this is her best work, will say the EXACT same thing with her next album. I love Lana, but I understand some of her albums are better than others. 

This, but also, people in here are also afraid to give negative criticism. I've said this before and I'll say it again. (Using a spoiler in case you haven't listened, but my thoughts are below if you or anyone is curious to read them.)

Spoiler

The interludes are 2 minutes too long, the back half of the album has songs that are about 2-3 minutes too short, and it's weird to hear. Some vocals on the album should've been re-recorded. Specifically on Fingertips at the beginning of that track. Ironically, my favorites on this album are done with Jack, who I usually dislike. A&W, Taco Truck, and Kintsugi are some of my favorites. Her voice breaks on Taco Truck when she says the word "fuck" which I think should've been rerecorded. The rest of the vocals sound amazing on that one. The lyrics on Fingertips are fantastic and I like some of the instrumentals throughout the album, but there are places where something feels like it's missing. Kintsugi is missing an acoustic guitar, which would simply make it sound less like Leonard Cohen but more aligned with some of Lana's sounds. Fingertips has a weird instrumental because it goes absolutely fucking nowhere. The instrumental just randomly plays in the background and doesn't sound like it follows the melody of her voice. Also, there's the weirdness of some of the tracks having studio chatter at the end of the leaked versions. 

I love this album. It sounds like something that we've been missing from Lana. Fun stuff, piano stuff, some experimental stuff. We're getting a lot for anyone here, but it seems like some of the choices made on this album were made... maybe last minute? Maybe the version that leaked isn't the final mastered versions. I like a lot about this album. Lyrically, it's very cohesive and calls back to different tracks across the album which is something I love when artists do, but it also confuses me because one chorus on one track is the title of another song on the album. I wouldn't say it's a 10/10, it isn't. And Lana herself knows this when she posted about the reviews yesterday. It isn't her best work. But I do love this album. I think it's fighting right now with NFR for the #3/#4 spot in my Lana albums list right now.

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

1 minute ago, American Whore said:
  Hide contents

Daddy I miss them, I'm in the mountains. I'm probably running away from the feelings I get when I think all the things about them. Daddy I miss them, I'm at the Roadrunner cafe, I'm probably running away from the thoughts in a day, I have things to do with them but they say "thats how the light gets in"

this song reminds me of Lana's cover of Chealsea Hotel No 2 idk why but it does

:oprah2::icant:

This, but also, people in here are also afraid to give negative criticism. I've said this before and I'll say it again. (Using a spoiler in case you haven't listened, but my thoughts are below if you or anyone is curious to read them.)

Hide contents

The interludes are 2 minutes too long, the back half of the album has songs that are about 2-3 minutes too short, and it's weird to hear. Some vocals on the album should've been re-recorded. Specifically on Fingertips at the beginning of that track. Ironically, my favorites on this album are done with Jack, who I usually dislike. A&W, Taco Truck, and Kintsugi are some of my favorites. Her voice breaks on Taco Truck when she says the word "fuck" which I think should've been rerecorded. The rest of the vocals sound amazing on that one. The lyrics on Fingertips are fantastic and I like some of the instrumentals throughout the album, but there are places where something feels like it's missing. Kintsugi is missing an acoustic guitar, which would simply make it sound less like Leonard Cohen but more aligned with some of Lana's sounds. Fingertips has a weird instrumental because it goes absolutely fucking nowhere. The instrumental just randomly plays in the background and doesn't sound like it follows the melody of her voice. Also, there's the weirdness of some of the tracks having studio chatter at the end of the leaked versions. 

I love this album. It sounds like something that we've been missing from Lana. Fun stuff, piano stuff, some experimental stuff. We're getting a lot for anyone here, but it seems like some of the choices made on this album were made... maybe last minute? Maybe the version that leaked isn't the final mastered versions. I like a lot about this album. Lyrically, it's very cohesive and calls back to different tracks across the album which is something I love when artists do, but it also confuses me because one chorus on one track is the title of another song on the album. I wouldn't say it's a 10/10, it isn't. And Lana herself knows this when she posted about the reviews yesterday. It isn't her best work. But I do love this album. I think it's fighting right now with NFR for the #3/#4 spot in my Lana albums list right now.

Spoiler

hard agree on the interludes even with cn between them they’re way too long and could still serve their purpose in 1-2 minutes :crossed:

13 minutes ago, Say Yes to Heaven said:

nothing more true than this. 

and its nowhere near close to her best album. maybe if half of the songs were axed

Well, that’s your opinion. Don’t make it sound like it’s a general fact.

21 minutes ago, Say Yes to Heaven said:

nothing more true than this. 

and its nowhere near close to her best album. maybe if half of the songs were axed

You stan kpop artists whose discographies all sound the same but go off i guess sis :slayty:

edit: maybe i shouldn't be mean. sorry, it's late and i'm sleepy. off to bed.

edit #2: i will say though, i do think that it's unfair to say half of the album should've been axed. i'll give you the interludes, but the rest of the album serves it's purpose. ironic coming from someone whose username is an axed song :oprah2:

edit #3: sorry, i'm actually going to bed this time. i'm not trying to be mean 

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I’m sure a lot of you slander bb just because others do. It has become trendy to dislike it I can see it here and on Twitter and it makes me so sad. Even if the album is not cohesive every song by itself is amazing

Spoiler

Yeah I’m dying to know whose voice that is halfway through Taco Truck. To me it just sounds like Lana using her high pitched Lizzy voice. Someone said it was Chuck, but last time I checked, that’s not what she sounds like 😂

1 minute ago, DeluluBlvd said:

I’m sure a lot of you slander bb just because others do. It has become trendy to dislike it I can see it here and on Twitter and it makes me so sad. Even if the album is not cohesive every song by itself is amazing

I actually love bb and I do think it’s cohesive too, but I also think ob is way better sonically and vocally :wub:

22 hours ago, taco truck said:

Then do the reviews mean anything in the first place? Tbh this is an unpopular opinion but the only reviews I find interesting/care about are pitchfork and fantano… GP opinion is more important in the music sphere for relevancy so im waiting to see how they will feel about it. 

Game time! Predict the things Anthony Fantano's gonna say in his Ocean Boulevard review. I'll start:

Spoiler

"Did we really need two 5 minute long interludes on an album that's already an hour long?"

4 minutes ago, DeluluBlvd said:

I disliked it since the very beginning, I listened to it in full whe it came out, after that I only listen to a few songs from it once in a while (months) 

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

This album is so musically interesting tho :trisha:.

Spoiler

There are songs with no chorus, folk to trap transition, trap to surf rock, choir, auto tune bops, simple piano ballads to coquette doll coraline-esque ones. Only one interlude is a mistake (Judah Smith). Oh Candy Necklace + Jon Batiste interlude = ultimate masterpiece. 

6 minutes ago, DeluluBlvd said:

I think if you review BB track by track it’s a very good album. But as a whole they don’t work together and that’s why I think it’s horrible. But if you look at it as a compilation of singles - sure.

For comparison, COCC has many tracks that aren’t that good by themselves, but they work AMAZINGLY as a whole and this is exactly why I love this album as a whole experience. It’s saur good

It’s hard for me to rank her albums cause I love them all for different reasons (except for BB I have no love for BB), but Ocean Blvd would def be high up if I were to rank them.

qfrWuBl.png

Spoiler

Okay so I finally listened oops

“I know, I know, I know that you hate me” - is iconic. 
“my boyfriend tested positive for covid, it don’t matter, we’ve been kissing. So whatever he has, I have, I can’t cry” - is so stupidly Lana I’m obsessed

i love…

Peppers

Paris, Texas

Let the Light In

Fishtail

Kintsugi

Taco Truck x VB

A&W

I haven’t heard candy necklace (lol)

but I’m really feeling this album, I can’t wait to have a proper listen through

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />

25 minutes ago, venicebitch said:

I think if you review BB track by track it’s a very good album. But as a whole they don’t work together and that’s why I think it’s horrible. But if you look at it as a compilation of singles - sure.

For comparison, COCC has many tracks that aren’t that good by themselves, but they work AMAZINGLY as a whole and this is exactly why I love this album as a whole experience. It’s saur good

yes!!! thank you:party: