Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

1 minute ago, Map of LA said:

(TO ME! I AM NOT ATTACKING ANYONE. I can't believe I have to even preface with this with how toxic the boards have been over the past few days)

They attack because they know they're in the wrong lmfao

banner.png

suffer does the wolf crawling to thee

1 minute ago, weinendersoldat said:

They attack because they know they're in the wrong lmfao

Seriously. It's ridiculous. Not every piece of music needs to be "relatable," or whatever

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

American Whore is "unlike anything lana and jack have made before", jack himself said that. so the possibility of a piano-only album is already ruled out by that statement only. on top of that, the track with the "longest title" is in the vein of MAC and it's an angsty song, so again, that's not gonna be a piano-only song. i know y'all hated Blue Banisters and are afraid that we're getting another one of those, but BB was made in FIVE MONTHS if not less, and was full of scraps. this new album was in the making for MORE THAN A YEAR, has NO SCRAPS and insiders have already said it's an album full of variety. if you still think this is going to be a record full of "piano ballads" you should start trusting lana a little bit more. :wtf2:

and btw, y'all are basing your thought on WRITING CREDITS. mind you, West Coast and Change have THE SAME WRITING CREDITS. are they similar? :brows3: writing credits DO NOT define the sound of songs

Seriously. It's ridiculous. Not every piece of music needs to be "relatable," or whatever

I don't wanna say more because once I get going.. but it's just funny to me that people are so hellbent over this.. like :toofunny:

banner.png

suffer does the wolf crawling to thee

1 minute ago, tulsaglory said:

American Whore is "unlike anything lana and jack have made before", jack himself said that. so the possibility of a piano-only album is already ruled out by that statement only. on top of that, the track with the "longest title" is in the vein of MAC and it's an angsty song, so again, that's not gonna be a piano-only song. i know y'all hated Blue Banisters and are afraid that we're getting another one of those, but BB was made in FIVE MONTHS if not less, and was full of scraps. this new album was in the making for MORE THAN A YEAR, has NO SCRAPS and insiders have already said it's an album full of variety. if you still think this is going to be a record full of "piano ballads" you should start trusting lana a little bit more. :wtf2:

and btw, y'all are basing your thought on WRITING CREDITS. mind you, West Coast and Change have THE SAME WRITING CREDITS. are they similar? :brows3: writing credits DO NOT define the sound of songs

Agree with you all counts, but I honestly thought they were production credits at first. :hide:

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Agree with you all counts, but I honestly thought they were production credits at first. :hide:

yeah me too and it scared me, we need production credits asap :bebe:

4 minutes ago, Map of LA said:

Complaining about Lana making music about her family history is ridiculous (TO ME! I AM NOT ATTACKING ANYONE. I can't believe I have to even preface with this with how toxic the boards have been over the past few days) because how many times can we really listen to songs about being in love with a bad boy or one of her exes. This is Lana branching out to new subject matters and being extremely vulnerable in her music. I personally love it.

It's only a matter of 'is it good or is it bad?", 'do I like it or do I not like it?,' 'Is it saccharine or deeply felt?" I gave a lot of examples of songs by Carly Simon that are beautiful and universal even though they're about her family, parents, and siblings, and 'Danny's Song' too, by Kenny Loggins. Obviously, Lana can write about whatever she wants to, and then find some love it, some like it, some don't care for it, some dislike it intensely. And I agree 'not everything is relatable,' which is why I stressed that 'Dance 'Til We Die' and 'For Free' are not, at heart, about children or careers in the music industry. 

if yall want “relatable” music go listen to olivia rodrigo or taylor swift… lana music goes far away from being “relatable” - while I still think it can be very meaningful for the listener - and at the same time it is the way how poetry is made, it doesn’t need to satisfy anyone more than who it is writing

and also for giving me Margaret

16 minutes ago, your dealer said:

I think the grants will be less about her siblings and current times and more so inspired by her father, his siblings, and her grandparents.

If you recall she posted a short story / poem back in February "How we built a home" it starts with "My dad and his brothers built my grandma and grandpa's house out of giant Lincoln logs. We lived at the bottom of Cobble hill with our very own trail up to the top of the smallest mountain in the Adirondacks. It was cold in the summer so the fire was always burning and every time I drive through Monte Nido it's full of wood-fire smoke and it reminds me of their house and the Giant owls that would hoo all night long."

I feel like these photos and stories influenced her and  I'm honestly getting 60s/70s ethereal night time camp fire Jame's Tayloresque vibes. I can imagine her singing about this in sort of a story teller type of way. 

FLMof1cXIAsN8CE_50.jpegFLMogQZXEAAWFdL_50.jpegFLMof1gXEAI2rz8_50.jpeg

plus she’s posted so many photos of her grandmother and other family on honeymoon, like the one where she’s emulating lana turner, etc etc. i think she’s very interested in her family’s own past (on her dad’s side) and i think the song will be a beautiful and thoughtful exploration of nostalgic and karmic themes, maybe with some nods to her current family. i do think the title is a little off putting but i’m keeping an open mind <3 

there are some great songs about family out there. not every song about family is sappy sweet and stupid. given how much she talks about karmic lineage i wouldn’t be surprised if there are darker moments as well 

sUcVobB.png

Just now, kaliuchis said:

if yall want “relatable” music go listen to olivia rodrigo or taylor swift… lana music goes far away from being “relatable” - while I still think it can be very meaningful for the listener - and at the same time it is the way how poetry is made, it doesn’t need to satisfy anyone more than who it is writing

I don't relate to TS at all and don't understand the mania of her Standom, but it's there, people enjoy her, and I leave it at that. 

3 minutes ago, Map of LA said:

I think she is going to credit the same people in all of the tracks, honestly I don’t think all of the mentioned worked on tunnel but they are credited for working on the album as a whole

and also for giving me Margaret

Just because a song isn’t relatable to YOU doesn’t mean it’s not relatable to someone else. Also @Terrence Loves Me, the song objectively has a melody. It’s got notes that are formed into musical phrases which is by definition a melody. Perhaps the melody isn’t striking some people as memorable, which is fair, but for every one person who isn’t into it it seems there is at least 2 that love it. 

it just blows my mind how people are creating and looking for reasons to be negative. Hate the new song all you want and I will respect that but we literally hardly know anything else and so many people wanna fill the blanks with negativity like who hurt you??? 

5 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

It's only a matter of 'is it good or is it bad?", 'do I like it or do I not like it?,' 'Is it saccharine or deeply felt?" I gave a lot of examples of songs by Carly Simon that are beautiful and universal even though they're about her family, parents, and siblings, and 'Danny's Song' too, by Kenny Loggins. Obviously, Lana can write about whatever she wants to, and then find some love it, some like it, some don't care for it, some dislike it intensely. And I agree 'not everything is relatable,' which is why I stressed that 'Dance 'Til We Die' and 'For Free' are not, at heart, about children or careers in the music industry. 

I love your posts. You always back up your thoughts and beliefs regarding aesthetic craft on this forum with rationality, logic, and fairness. I was more so talking about a general consensus that because Lana is writing music about her family or her personal history, that the music is immediately dismissed or seen as not good because someone cannot relate to it. I can't "relate" to living in a trailer park or any of its lyrical themes outside of Oh Say Can You See, yet AKA is one of my all-time favorite records. I understand where you were coming from completely and do agree with you.

I love your posts. You always back up your thoughts and beliefs regarding aesthetic craft on this forum with rationality, logic, and fairness. I was more so talking about a general consensus that because Lana is writing music about her family or her personal history, that the music is immediately dismissed or seen as not good because someone cannot connect with it. I understand where you were coming from completely and do agree with you.

I don’t think it’s even the subject matter- lots of us love old money-a song directly referencing her family and a piano ballad- it’s the subject matter contrasts that are different.

rather than production credits what we need to figure out what each song sounds like are the instruments. i mean, WFWF is a mike dean song lol. that does ruin surprises, though. as exciting as it was seeing the brass band tag on Lie Down With Me it also watered down the surprise of listening to the outro for the first time... idk if i'll look into the credits if they leak this time around.

1 minute ago, evalionisameme said:

I don’t think it’s even the subject matter- lots of us love old money-a song directly referencing her family and a piano ballad- it’s the subject matter contrasts that are different.

That's fair. I think The Grants will be fantastic and completely unlike Sweet Carolina/Blue Banisters