Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

1 minute ago, 111 said:

i think ur brain damage made u smarter than most fans so you're good. i wish everyone had such nuance listening to music and discussing art... this was the same criticism that she was getting early on in her career with "glamorizing abuse" or making women look bad or whatever. now she is writing about different topics but her fans and haters are doing the same type of attacking because she is not pc enough or w/e, if i were to guess she'd be more upset about her fans misunderstanding her like this (as she complained about for a decade) than a small portion of her fanbase listening to some leaks but we don't see thinkpieces and essays discussing the morality and ethics of that do we

Exactly, 111. As if there's a script of very limited scope from which she must take her subject matter...is this the 1950s all over again, when women could only sing songs like 'Shrimp Boats'? I love 'Shrimp Boats,' but every and any individual is free to write about absolutely anything as far as I am concerned. So here's 'American Whore' in your face, fascists! 

y'all white people leave her latin accent alone!! i miss my chicana poc queen so much and our connection hasn't been the same ever since she fully embraced her caucasianess :krylie:

Spoiler

and honestly i don't blame her white ass for wanting to be something else, white culture is so boring lmao i'd do that too if i was one

but that's not the time or place to talk about that, this is the ocean blvd thread not sociology class

18 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

A lot of The Weeknd’s lyrics are abusive and misogynistic, and no bats an eye (including myself) because he’s male and it’s art. Why is this any different except that it’s like 50 times less problematic? 

right? We literally have weeknd songs talking about drugging, raping, and being violent against women and somehow he has become one of the most massive stars on the planet. And those early albums with those songs are often still considered his best. I don’t even dislike him and he’s got some great songs, but my goodness the double standards… 

anywayzzzzz I’m not listening to any leaks unless it’s full top to bottom HQ leaks where I can have the full album experience. 

Just now, kuntsugi said:

y'all white people leave her latin accent alone!! i miss my chicana poc queen so much and our connection hasn't been the same ever since she fully embraced her caucasianess :krylie:

Reveal hidden contents

and honestly i don't blame her white ass for wanting to be something else, white culture is so boring lmao i'd do that too if i was one

but that's not the time or place to talk about that, this is the ocean blvd thread not sociology class

it's always the white gays and actual latin people are unbothered and find it cute

i wish she'd appropriate my culture and language

8BD928CC-480E-4B49-BA3B-8A8A09EE81E7.thu

1 minute ago, kuntsugi said:

Hide contents

I always felt she had a genuine fascination with hispanic culture, which is interesting. It’s not trying to be trendy as all the mainstream artists getting on the reggaeton train to generate clicks. I bet she had some good Spanish sex when she lived in Marbella or whatever it was in Spain

1 hour ago, Roolette said:
  Hide contents
Spoiler

Spoiler

To me she's clearly saying that due to her privilege and ignorance in her life experience she's made mistakes, and she knows people won't believe she isn't doing it on purpose, but she urges people to pay attention to what she's written so she isn't misunderstood. But the way she's worded that will come across as tone deaf and whatnot

Spoiler

Yes, that is tone deaf, and it's not going to advance the general sociological positions she's taken and tried to take. As Nico would say, 'Conversationally, she's rather sloppy.' 

1 minute ago, LanaBalkana said:

I always felt she had a genuine fascination with hispanic culture, which is interesting. It’s not trying to be trendy as all the mainstream artists getting on the reggaeton train to generate clicks. I bet she had some good Spanish sex when she lived in Marbella or whatever it was in Spain

she was 16… WellmadeOblongAurochs.mp4

And let’s not pretend the industry isn’t itching to embrace Kanye West again once his 1138393th redemption arc kicks in. The media keeps giving free passes to male  artists but all it takes is contentious and complex positioning from female musicians and all hell breaks loose.

IMG-7960.jpg

3 hours ago, LanaBalkana said:

And hundreds of thousands or millions of people do, just as others are 'Anglophiles' or 'Francophiles' or love what they perceive as the romance of Italian culture, or the perceived subtly and nuance of Japanese culture, or the paradisiacal aspects of Hawaiian culture. You may be moved by a documentary about an isolated people living in rain forests. Look at all the people who now travel to Barcelona from all over the world. There's nothing insulting or appropriative about it.

Imagine a Chinese student coming to attend college in the U.S. and someone saying, "Quit appropriating and embracing our culture as if it's your own!' It's nonsense. I live in NYC, and you often see Asian-Americans who have adopted the 'preppie' look, which did originate in American Anglo-Saxon culture. Big deal. It's theirs to 'adopt' if they so desire--especially if they attended Columbia university or one of the Ivy League colleges, which many do or have. 

I think that reasonable potential criticism could come down to what be construed as self-indulgence, such as with

Spoiler

Fingertips. (I really like this song btw)

But this is Lana we’re talking about. We been knew about the self-myth-making, it’s part of her work. So any criticisms this way will sound tired.

People beyond Twittersphere are exhausted with identity politics as anything more than clickbait. She might get called out, but it won’t matter, just as it hasn’t before with her consistent melting-pot of cultural influences and references, which is itself an American staple: multiculturalism in all its complementariness and conflict, thereby continuing to bolster her metatextuality on American culture.

4 minutes ago, Lum said:
  Reveal hidden contents

can i ask just for an update on what is out there and what's not? too much discourse amongst the info lolol ❤️

tracks 1, 3, 9 others are tagged the house down ... if im allowed to say :paris:

omnia vincit amor : LANA DEL REY behind the scenes with interview...

10 minutes ago, kuntsugi said:

Hide contents

uhmm there is not a thing called white culture. there are hundreds of white cultures and honestly none of them are boring. how can one even call a culture boring like...

but anyway you're right it is not the place for this but i am kinda tired of this

Spoiler

also peppers sounds so good omg even with the tags why did the insiders not hype it

1 minute ago, Sportscruiser said:

And let’s not pretend the industry isn’t itching to embrace Kanye West again once his 1138393th redemption arc kicks in. The media keeps giving free passes to male  artists but all it takes is contentious and complex positioning from female musicians and all hell breaks loose.

right. I still haven't forgotten about Chris Brown :sideeye:

2 minutes ago, ByDayAnother said:

I think that reasonable potential criticism could come down to what be construed as self-indulgence, such as with

Hide contents

Fingertips.

But this is Lana we’re talking about. We been knew about the self-myth-making, it’s part of her work. So any criticisms this way will sound tired.

Exactly. Lana's adopted more personas in her songs and life than probably any other contemporary musical artist, as many really don't adopt personas the way Lana does and Madonna did in her heyday. 

4 minutes ago, JudahSmithInterlude said:

uhmm there is not a thing called white culture. there are hundreds of white cultures and honestly none of them are boring. how can one even call a culture boring like...

but anyway you're right it is not the place for this but i am kinda tired of this

Hide contents

also peppers sounds so good omg even with the tags why did the insiders not hype it

excuse my ignorance if i misunderstood but i think by "white culture" we're referring to american culture. i don't see why else this is such a deal to any other culture. american's are soft. grow up!!! (ofc not all of america is white culture blah blah, yall understand hopefully)

omnia vincit amor : LANA DEL REY behind the scenes with interview...

Just now, latinataco said:

excuse my ignorance if i misunderstood but i think by "white culture" we're referring to american culture. i don't see why else this is such a deal. americans are soft. grow up!!!

canadian culture supremacy :godlaugh: