Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

Regarding the Interlude

Spoiler

I hope that echo effect on their voices is in the actual track and it wasn't added for the snippet cause I love it :hide:

I love how Lana giggles and it's noticeable and it's not just the background of her recording. It looks like they actually put some thought on the vocal processing and it's not just an instrumental track slapped on top of a phone recording.

It's probably still going to be a track I only listen with the whole record but it's more interesting that I expected :dua:

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, selfbeyondtheory said:

its pretty unlikely that lana is literally putting a sermon from some preacher onto her album without some level of subversion, and to be honest even if she did, who cares. there's a difference between lana endorsing something and lana portraying something, and as a gay person who is staunchly atheist, im 100% here to listen to whatever lana wants to throw at me. art should be challenging.

furthermore we can hear from the high quality snippet that just leaked and the full low quality tagged version that

Reveal hidden contents

there is a lot of disturbing, ominous sounds playing over the top, and we can hear lana giggling and mocking him in the clip too,

and it comes right after A&W where she talks about god being a charlatan and not needing to be loved anymore; I think it's safe to say there's a strong artistic statement being made here. but agree, we should wait to hear the full track before we pass judgement, im merely speaking to those who are constantly on here worrying that she's going to trigger them because she's including religious content in her album.

It’s all fine and dandy that you, as an atheist, don’t care but there are people who might. Not everyone has a healthy relationship with religion (particularly people who belong to large groups that religion frequently affects and undermines) so to boil it down to “art should be challenging” is a bit misguided, in my respectful opinion. I really don’t think it’s that exaggerated of a notion that someone might get triggered by listening to a male preacher spewing (and screaming) religious bullshit.

I for one think the track has a lot of potential and knowing Lana, there might be a subversion to it (as you said) and this is probably the closest we have to the sound and feel of Bare Feet On Linoleum (one of my favorite things she’s ever done) so it’s already a win for me. I just don’t think it’s fair to say people shouldn’t feel uncomfortable with it/people who won’t appreciate it, don’t get that art should be challenging. Sometimes we don’t like to be challenged on certain things and that’s also ok.

IMG-7960.jpg

Spoiler

Omfg I'm so ready. Witchy Lana is back and here to stay. I can't wait for the rest of the interlude, I can tell that it's gonna be fuckin CRAZY and I'm so here for it

My thoughts on the interlude 

11 minutes ago, gothphetamine said:

As a Christian (not evangelical or anything - Episcopal, and very progressive), I 100% agree on your point that art should be challenging. It’s the same as the 

Reveal hidden contents

“regrettably I’m a white woman”

lyric that we were discussing last week. It’s nice when music, and art more broadly, is comforting and pleasant and we don’t need to think too much about it. It’s exhausting to constantly be challenging yourself and critically thinking about every form of media you consume. But at the same time, it’s almost downright dangerous to only listen to/watch/read things that you 100% agree with. Plus, it’s so boring! I love reading lyrics, poems, and novels with complex and often disagreeable themes. And that’s what I love about Lana: she doesn’t shy away from those challenging topics and ideas. She’s very philosophical, and I know that doesn’t appeal to everyone. But she also has plenty of more lighthearted (and amazing!) songs if you just cba with all that, and that’s definitely the case on DYK (for example, side D). There’s something for everyone, and always something interesting to discuss

and to add to this, I dont think any artist should have to apologise or back away from their religious or philosophical leanings. just because im an atheist doesn't mean I can't handle or dont celebrate lana including a sermon (assuming it's not subverted but just a literal copy-paste job) because I can scratch under the surface and tease out what she's getting at, and ask myself what purpose the religious element serves in her work more broadly. and its only through this kind of engagement that ive come to be more accepting of different people's faiths, which speaks to your point that art should challenge our beliefs - not always, not every time - but sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

It’s all fine and dandy that you, as an atheist, don’t care but there are people who might.

then dont listen.

@111 / @Fingertips exclusive baybe: let the light in is cute next to gorgeous (peppers)

nene.thumb.gif.9f70a2ee5209b14f384bde0bd

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

18 minutes ago, selfbeyondtheory said:

its pretty unlikely that lana is literally putting a sermon from some preacher onto her album without some level of subversion, and to be honest even if she did, who cares. there's a difference between lana endorsing something and lana portraying something, and as a gay person who is staunchly atheist, im 100% here to listen to whatever lana wants to throw at me. art should be challenging.

furthermore we can hear from the high quality snippet that just leaked and the full low quality tagged version that

Reveal hidden contents

there is a lot of disturbing, ominous sounds playing over the top, and we can hear lana giggling and mocking him in the clip too,

and it comes right after A&W where she talks about god being a charlatan and not needing to be loved anymore; I think it's safe to say there's a strong artistic statement being made here. but agree, we should wait to hear the full track before we pass judgement, im merely speaking to those who are constantly on here worrying that she's going to trigger them because she's including religious content in her album.

Isn’t the lyric “got a [censored] who turned on the back beat, busts the shower on while he calls me”

not “god’s a char”

21 minutes ago, JFKs Fine China said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I’m trying to avoid snippets and leaks for once but is it anything like Ptolemaea by Ethel Cain? Because that track is actually terrifying and demonic sounding:smokeney:

Spoiler

It sounds like if Lana made Ptolemaea, it isn’t nearly as creepy tho. Just like a weirdness to it that is interesting, I hope once it is released someone makes a Ptolemaea inspired edit of it with some LDR vocals 

2 minutes ago, gothphetamine said:

As a Christian (not evangelical or anything - Episcopal, and very progressive), I 100% agree on your point that art should be challenging. It’s the same as the 

Reveal hidden contents

“regrettably I’m a white woman”

lyric that we were discussing last week. It’s nice when music, and art more broadly, is comforting and pleasant and we don’t need to think too much about it. It’s exhausting to constantly be challenging yourself and critically thinking about every form of media you consume. But at the same time, it’s almost downright dangerous to only listen to/watch/read things that you 100% agree with. Plus, it’s so boring! I love reading lyrics, poems, and novels with complex and often disagreeable themes. And that’s what I love about Lana: she doesn’t shy away from those challenging topics and ideas. She’s very philosophical, and I know that doesn’t appeal to everyone. But she also has plenty of more lighthearted (and amazing!) songs if you just cba with all that, and that’s definitely the case on DYK (for example, side D). There’s something for everyone, and always something interesting to discuss

I was dozing off, but I had to log in and give you props for your comment. People always want the same old thing when it comes to movies, for example - same genre, same ideas, same storyline that's safe for the whole fam to watch. But me, I'm all about being challenged and debating. Same thing with music. I’m glad she’s doing this. Also, Judas Smith Interlude is giving me 

Spoiler

Inland Empire by David Lynch

25 minutes ago, tulsa jesus freaks said:

the truth is Lana got posessed around 2012, and when she sang "god's dead i said baby that's alright with me" it was actually the devil speaking through her and the judah interlude is actually him performing an exorcism on her to save her soul, that is why we can hear lana

Reveal hidden contents

giggling and mocking him

cause it's the devil speaking right before he lost his power and left her body

after the exorcism lizzy grant regains control of her body and we get a.k.a. volume two Pearl.thumb.jpg.3ce71b20a108963ba1199f00

Capture.jpg

Spoiler

holy FUCK I love the judah smith interlude snippet so much. it's so unsettling. and Judah saying why are you so infatuated with me? makes me think this is an abnormal type of sermon. it is SO creepy. i have high hopes for this 

sgopYhV.gif

Just now, Crimson and Clover said:
  Hide contents

holy FUCK I love the judah smith interlude snippet so much. it's so unsettling. and Judah saying why are you so infatuated with me? makes me think this is an abnormal type of sermon. it is SO creepy. i have high hopes for this 

already went from my least excited to most excited track lol

40 minutes ago, Yosemite said:

Did he really say it’d be announced this week? I remember checking his posts on ATRL and I never saw anything of him saying when it would be announced. I might’ve missed it tho 

No hints about it being tomorrow, but this is the quote (there's screenshots in the thread somewhere)...

"Let's go back to Earth a bit, there is no surprise second album, or any new music project coming already
But for once, they are doing something right, for the fans
It will be revealed next week. Actually skimming through this thread I don't think anyone guessed it right? Guess I was right"