Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

Spoiler

paris texas is so pretty but the piano sample just fills me with indescribable dread :icant: theres something so sad about it but in an uncomfortable/anxiety inducing way (for me personally), people are definitely right with it sounding like it belongs in the coraline soundtrack. it is a beautiful song though, the lyrics and vocals are gorgeous, i hope i can grow to love it in the future!

26nuYZm.png

Spoiler

Just finished…wow….the excellence :wowcry:

I loved everything except Paris, Texas and Margaret….something about the mixing towards the end of the album sound a bit muffled and muddy….then again my headphones might just be shit

My Ratings that are inconclusive because I've only listened to 4 of them one time:

Spoiler

1. Paris, Texas (best song- her voice is so different [in a good way] and this is the only time I've ever liked a piano song from her more than others, she should use samples like these more often I listened to it on it's own a lot before the leak)

2. Peppers (Honestly a tie for first but I wish she sang more)
3. Let the Light In (everything I've wanted since Unidentified Flying Bill)
4. Taco Truck x VB (again wish she sang more)
5. A&W (jimmy jimmy coco puff)
6. Fingertips (I categorize 6, 7, 8 as all the same in my head but this one's slightly better than the other two) 
7. Sweet (slightly better than 8, sounds very Disney)
8. Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing (would be better than 6 and 7 there's just something off about it to me maybe it's to high pitched don't quote me on that)
9. Kintsugi (I don't like it, another ballad, sounds like someone shoved her when she was singing about the red flags)
10. Fishtail (This could have been 6th but the lyrics are so bad I can't get over it. The instrumental and auto tune is good though)
11. The Grants (hate the intro and sonically mid but great lyrics)
12. Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd (I would literally tell you that you're stupid if you told me this was her song like 4 years ago)
13. Margaret (This is what I think Tomorrow Never Came sounds like to people who hate it)
14. Jon Batiste Interlude (better than Judah Smith)
15. Judah Smith Interlude (stop yelling)

Just now, brooklyn bitch said:
  Hide contents

Just finished…wow….the excellence :wowcry:

I loved everything except Paris, Texas and Margaret….something about the mixing towards the end of the album sound a bit muffled and muddy….then again my headphones might just be shit

I’m really hoping it’s just the leak quality. Even though these are “high quality” I don’t think it’s the best* quality. 

Spoiler

i’m in love with paris texas and i didn’t think i would be “when you know,you know, it’s time to leave” makes me literally sob and the storytelling and the way she sings on this track it reminds me of something from coralline 

Spoiler

Paris, Texas just brings instant tears to my eyes this is fucking GORGEOUS

i love how she used the samples also, they sound incredible … this album is going straight into my Lana trinity bye bye honeymoon 

FzytWEW.png

1 minute ago, Sportscruiser said:
  Hide contents

Paris, Texas is fucking breathtaking. I’m sobbing. This song is exactly what I needed to hear, it’s so cathartic for me.

Spoiler

Soo good, just listening to it now. Perfection.

1 minute ago, road1029384756 said:

My Ratings that are inconclusive because I've only listened to most of them one time:

Hide contents

1. Paris, Texas (best song- her voice is so different [in a good way] and this is the only time I've ever liked a piano song from her more than others, she should use samples like these more often I listened to it on it's own a lot before the leak)

2. Peppers (Honestly a tie for first but I wish she sang more)
3. Let the Light In (everything I've wanted since Unidentified Flying Bill)
4. Taco Truck x VB (again wish she sang more)
5. A&W (jimmy jimmy coco puff)
6. Fingertips (I categorize 6, 7, 8 as all the same in my head but this one's slightly better than the other two) 
7. Sweet (slightly better than 8, sounds very Disney)
8. Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing (would be better than 6 and 7 there's just something off about it to me maybe it's to high pitched don't quote me on that)
9. Kintsugi (I don't like it, another ballad, sounds like someone shoved her when she was singing about the red flags)
10. Fishtail (This could have been 6th but the lyrics are so bad I can get over it. The instrumental and the auto tune is good though)
11. The Grants (hate the intro and sonically mid but great lyrics)
12. Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd (I would literally tell you that you're stupid if you told me this was her song like 4 years ago)
13. Margaret (This is what I think Tomorrow Never Came sounds like to people who hate it)
14. Jon Batiste Interlude (better than Judah Smith)
16. Judah Smith Interlude (stop yelling)

Spoiler

loving this justice for paris, texas

one of her best songs alongside kintsugi, imo

Spoiler

my absolute hatred towards fishtail is making me so sad :bebe: 

first, it sounds like she recorded it through a soup can. the whole motif if "dont say u will braid my hair if you dont care!!! :poordat:" also is just... not working for me.

and then that god awful beat....anyone that complains about coachella but like this, i am watching you!!

Spoiler

I think Grandfather is still my number one. It’s so satisfying to listen to. Paris, kintsugi, fishtail, and peppers are really doing it for me as well. They’re my top five for now. It’ll probably change by tomorrow tho 

first listen ranking:

Spoiler
  1. grandfather
  2. paris texas (knew i was smart when i picked that username :ma:)
  3. fingertips
  4. fishtail
  5. kintsugi
  6. title track
  7. let the light in
  8. taco truck x vb
  9. the grants
  10. a&w
  11. jon batiste interlude
  12. sweet
  13. peppers
  14. judah smith interlude
  15. margaretthe ocean

the top 5 is completely bulletproof, all of the songs are great except margaret which is... not very good the ocean

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

Spoiler

This album just sounds so beautifully chaotic…it’s very hard to describe. You can hear her exorcising her demons in these tracks. It incorporates every musical aspect of her as well as so much more… 

also she sounds truly happy and at peace which makes me happy :icant: .