Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

Ok I listened and fkn WOW i am all the way scalped. It's prollie been said but 

Spoiler

The way the album structure mirrors A&W in that it's front-loaded with the trauma processing and vulnerability and then it's just a fuckin PARTY by the end...SheeewEE

photo.jpglanadelrey-1jpg.jpgphoto.jpg

Spoiler

Album Review!!!

1. The Grants: 9/10

The song is amazing. I love the sentiment behind it and the lyrics. Hot take I think this Lana’s voice at its smoothest and pretty much one of her best vocal performances in my opinion. Really evokes an emotion!

Ranked #9 on the album overall 

2. Did You Know…: 9.5/10

Flawless, amazing, groundbreaking. One of her best. It takes me back to NFR almost. I absolutely love the linear progression of the song. Again, one of my favorite vocal performances of hers!

Ranked #6 on the album overall

3. Sweet: 8.5/10

It’s cute and fun! I love the lyrics a lot! The choruses melted me, and I love the melody of the end of each chorus when she goes high. Not a fan of the “I’m sweeeEEEeeeEEEeeet” part though.

Ranked #11 on the album overall

4. A&W: 10/10

This song… is… fucking… phenomenal. In my opinion, this is the Lana song I have been craving. I love the vulnerability and the very dark tone. The unexpected shifts, the absolutely heartbreaking 3rd verse was a shocker for me, really felt for her. 

Ranked #4 on the album overall 

5. Judah Smith Interlude: ?/10

Cute bop to listen to by the pool in the summer. Makes me wanna go skinny dipping. No but really, I actually thought it was interesting. It’s obviously not going to be on rewind but I loved the instrumental underneath it.

Ranked #15 on the album overall

6. Candy Necklace: ERROR

It’s massive and very euphonic!

Ranked above the interludes on the album overall

7. Jon Batiste Interlude: ?/10

Meh. Ok! Another interlude! Cool production and I love the random shouting it really gets me going!

Ranked #16 on the album overall

8. Kintsugi: 10/10

Wow. I’m amazed. The songwriting is Lana at her peak. The emotions she evoked were HEARTBREAKING. So dark. Loved it. I don’t know how to form my thoughts into words about this song. 

Ranked #1 on the album overall

9. Fingertips: 9.5/10

GORGEOUS. I love how lyrically open Lana is. This is her rant track. She really let it all out in the softest, most poetic way possible. Amazing. Just something I don’t foresee myself replaying often, not because of the quality of the song, just the fact I do not connect with it a whole lot!

Ranked #7 on the album overall

10. Paris Texas: 6/10

K… whatever. Very boring. I like some of the production towards the end but I find the song extremely boring and lame and I literally am a piano Lana fan over her old stuff. Meh.

Ranked #13 on the album overall

11. Grandfather: 10/10

Yeah. This one of her best songs of all time. The second I heard the sample I knew. This song is so lush, full, amazing. I love the lyrics. The vocals are PHENOMENAL. Easily on of the best of all time.

Ranked #2 on the album overall

12. Let the Light In: 10/10

Two 10/10’s in a row? Making up for the shit that Paris Texas was. AMAZING SONG. FJM and Lana sound amazing together! Its a very very cute song that I see myself playing at my wedding. Just such a feel good song which I always love from Lana even though they’re quite rare. Also, loved the production and the melody!

Ranked #3 on the album overall

13. Margaret: 9/10

Cute! I love the lyrics its a very cute song similar to that of Let the Light In! I enjoyed the production a lot and enjoyed Jack’s vocals ON THE CHORUS. Sir, that verse. Started off promising but the end??? Get your sinuses checked out and pop some mucinex before going in that studio again and open your lips a bit more when you sing.

Ranked #8 on the album overall

14. Fishtail: 10/10

Well fuck. Holy fuck. Sexy. Hot. I’m suddenly sweating naked in my bed? Amazing song, loved every bit of it. Love love love.

Ranked #5 on the album overall (I foresee it rising)

15. Peppers: 7.5/10

Cool sample. I enjoy the lyrics. It’s just way too repetitive for me. But I still enjoy it.

Ranked #12 on the album overall

16. Taco Truck x VB: 9/10

I liked this a lot! I enjoyed the Taco Truck part and related to the lyrics heavily (crippling nicotine addiction)! I loved the first half, and really enjoyed the second half. It just felt like Venice Bitch copy and pasted lyrically at the end though so it just doesn’t feel very fresh and exciting like I had hoped.

Ranked #10 on the album overall (I foresee this changing once I get used to the VB sample)

Overall thoughts:

I think this album is coming to take the cake for me. Chemtrails is my favorite; and this easily outdid Chemtrails for me first listen. Chemtrails took some growing whereas this is great off the bat and I foresee it growing to the point where it’s my favorite!

🚨Overall Ranking after first listen:

1. Kintsugi: 10/10
2. Grandfather: 10/10
3. Let the Light In: 10/10
4. A&W: 10/10
5. Fishtail: 10/10
6. DYK: 9.5/10
7. Fingertips: 9.5/10
8. Margaret: 9/10
9. The Grants: 9/10
10. Taco Truck: 9/10
11. Sweet: 8.5/10
12. Peppers: 7.5/10
13. Paris Texas: 0/10
 —————
14 & 15: Interludes

———- Barrier ————

Candy Necklace: ERROR

Just now, imaginist said:
  Hide contents

Fuck I can’t remember what song it is (maybe Fishtail) but there was a short melody that was exactly like COCC title track 

Spoiler

Wasn't it taco truck?

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

Spoiler

Motherfucking shit I can’t believe I came home back from LA YESTERDAY and not today :heidi: Taco Truck x VB just makes me so proud to be an Angeleno and it would have been perfect to listen to it driving down PCH :paris: I’m having a crisis rn 

sgopYhV.gif

Spoiler

The lyrics "God if you're near me send me three white butterflies" made me cry like a baby because I'm always asking God for butterflies so I know my dad and my grandma are okay :bebe:

5 minutes ago, Blossom said:
  Hide contents

It doesn't resemble BB at all rly (besides the singles), more Honeymoon and AKA influences. My top two albums were NFR! and Honeymoon so you will love it. 

Now I’m excited

10 minutes ago, maysparkle said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I haven’t listened yet… but how does this album compare to say, Blue Banisters? I hope it’s better than that one…at least, sonically. And also does it top UV and Honeymoon as her best? I love NFR too. I just want to know how it ranks to all of those.

Spoiler

That's very hard to tell (better than nfr) I personally like it better than bb haha 

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

Spoiler

the way Peppers is literally already making RHCP #2 on my top spotify artist—

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden