Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

Cinnamongirl’s Album Ranking and Review

Spoiler

1. The Grants

Spoiler

I’ve never done a review before, so bare with me, but this song is really good! I saw that many people did not like the intro of melodye and the other singers, but I LOVE IT. The mess up for some reason perfectly introduces the album. Even though not much else happens throughout the song, I could not think of a better song to start the album! The strings, piano, the vocals… I’m in awe. I also love the theme of the song, her family and the memories she’s going to take with her. When she talks about Chuck’s child and her grandmother’s last smile, that lyric hit hard. I was never close with my family and it just makes me so happy to see how much she loves her family. I have another favorite part in the song, the ending! The way the vocals harmonize and then fade into the outro is just so amazing. Anyways:

8.5/10

1. Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

Spoiler

Oh my god, what can I say! I remember first hearing this song and almost collapsing, what an amazing day that was. First off, the way the song starts with the piano mixed in with the strings is just outstanding. The way this song starts makes me believe that the title track should’ve been the opener instead of The Grants, but after a few days of thinking, I feel that the title track being number two makes the most sense. There’s just something about the strings throughout the song that is so unique from all of Lana’s other songs. I’m not a musician, but the strings in the title track sound more professional I guess? I don’t know how to describe it, it’s just so good. Onto Lana’s vocals and the vocals of the background singers, just amazing! The melody is sooooo soothing and just gives me chills. Just like The Grants, the ending is astonishing. I could not think of a better way to end this song. 

9/10

3. Sweet

Spoiler

Ugh, what a cute piano ballad! I’ve always loved Lana’s piano ballads, so just hearing this song makes me happy. I love the vocals and how she says “sweet in barefeet” and how you can find her in the north country. I love how this song is third on the tracklist because I guess it acts like a break from the outstanding instrumentals and then leads into A&W. There’s not much to talk about this song since it’s a piano ballad, but I still really like this song! It made me disappointed to see many people not liking this song, but I guess it’s understandable since it is a piano ballad. Anyways… I dig the piano ballad!

8.5/10

4. A&W

Spoiler

I say I live in Rosemeade but really I’m at the Ramada :omg: Another amazing song! I’m sure we all remember where we were when the song came out. I remember I was walking in a hallway and tripping when I heard the transition (which I’ll talk about later). The first part of the song is really good! I love the acoustics. Although I wish the guitar was more spooky like Yosemite, it’s still great. Her vocals are great in this song too, but I was more focused on the lyrics. I applaud her singing about such dark lyrics and then transitioning it into a banger… like she’s truly a genius. When the insiders first started to talk about the second part of the song, I was skeptical. I feel like with Lana, her trap/upbeat (whatever you want to call it) songs can either be very good or just disappointing. We saw a lot of that in Lust for Life, with many people having diverse opinions on the upbeat songs. Not wanting to automatically be disappointed, I prepared myself to hear the second part of the song. When the transition started to begin, I was in shock. This is obviously a new sound for her and she did it so well it’s insane. Then, the Jimmy part… wow…. there were mass casualties. I’m really glad Lana incorporated the Jimmy part of A&W because without that, I would’ve felt like there was something lacking. Anyways, a really amazing song and I hope we get more of these songs that transition to beats like that.

9.5/10

5. Judah Smith Interlude

Spoiler

Wow… what an interlude. I didn’t know what to expect when B** stated that it’s just a pastor talking and Lana giggling. But when I first hit play on this track, I was surprised. I was not expecting these instrumentals, and how Lana’s giggling is echoed like… IT’S JUST SO CREEPY. I swear it’s something straight out of a movie. I can’t wait to see how this transitions into our mysterious queen, Candy Necklace. I felt like I was in the church with Lana (and as of writing this right now, I’m listening to it and wow…). I’m not religious but jeez I felt something. Easily surpasses Burnt Norton

7.5/10

6. Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)

Spoiler

:angie:

Oh I can’t even describe the feelings I felt when hearing the full Rockefeller lyric… I love how dark the piano is and the way Lana speaks over it. However, I do wish there was more instrumentals (there most likely is because I can hear it but not that well because it’s a phone recording of a vinyl). There’s not much to say about this song, but I’m glad that after 7-8 months, we finally get to hear this song in full. And when we get the full lyrics, I will finally know piece when it’s revealed that she’s not saying “my umbrella” but instead, “my own brother”. 

8.8/10

7. Jon Batiste Interlude

Spoiler

Wow… another amazing interlude. The “OH!” by Jon when the song starts is just so so good. I love the piano in this interlude and how Lana and Jon’s voices are intertwined to fit the piano. It’s genius. No words. They seem to be having a lot of fun and that just makes me really excited to hear Candy Necklace. Like Kintsugi said, with how the Judah Smith interlude ends with what seems to be a transition and how Jon interlude starts with what seems to be the end of Candy Necklace… the song HAS TO BE MASSIVE. Anyways, lovely interlude. 

7.5/10

8. Kintsugi

Spoiler

:lange:

What a beautiful song… not sure why the leakers consider this song to be boring because it’s AMAZING. Of course, it took me like one or two plays for me to actually get the song but wow. No words. I don’t even know how to describe this song, it’s just so beautiful. To start off, I love the soft piano and vocals in the beginning of the song. “Chucky was there for three out three, I was there for the third cause I could’t be there for the one that was closest to me” this lyric really hit hard. I had a sister who died when I was born so I never got to meet her. That lyric just now reminded me of her so yeah… Later on in the song, she makes this whistle that just makes Kintsugi even more. I really wish the whistle was longer because it fits the piano so well. “Daddy I miss them, I’m in the mountains” another lyric that hits hard. I’m assuming this has to do something about her being in Spain? I don’t want to assume anything but wow what a lyric. Now, I don’t mind the song length, even though nothing else really happens. She keeps on delivering beautiful lyrics throughout the song so the length is perfect in my opinion. I don’t know how to end this song review because I honestly have so much to say, but I don’t know how to say it. So I’m just gonna end it here, one of her best songs ever.

9.7/10

9. Fingertips

Spoiler

Damn… wow… oh my god :trisha:

No words. NO WORDS. How do I even begin to write this review… Well, I’ll just talk about the instrumental first. What a beautiful instrumental. I love the subtle piano and the strings. The strings just make the song so much more depressing. The lyrics… wow. She opens the song with the lyric that we all know “When I look back tracing fingertips over plastic bags…” and then the song just transcends into something ethereal. Yes, I know… I sound dramatic but then she asks if she’ll die, the telomeres, and if her family will make it to the extinction of these telomeres. This lyric just reminds me how little time we have on this Earth, and yes I shed a tear. The song continues with a beautiful melody, and then THAT lyric comes, “and Dave, who hung himself real high”. Lana… wow. What a lyric. I’m proud of her for talking about something so sad. Another lyric later in the song that makes me even more sad is the “Give you a blanket, your spirit can sit and watch TV by my side”. I collapsed. What a beautiful, but also so depressing lyric. I don’t know if I can talk about all of the lyrics because they’re just so… sad.  I’m just going to skip to the end of the song for the sake of my mental health and not to rehash any old, sad thoughts. The way she ends with that beautiful melody… just wow. Beautiful song

9.7/10

10. Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)

Spoiler

What an interesting song. I really love the beginning where she’s like I had to go to Paris (Texas) and her suitcase. I’m getting tired while writing this review and also moderating the site so I’m going to make the rest of the reviews shorter. I love how she says “When you know you know” throughout the song and “it’s time to go”. I love how this song is about her journey traveling to Spain, coming back home, and her experience overall. I have to admit, I had to listen to this song for a couple of times for me to actually like it. It’s a nice song, but nothing really happens. However, I love how she talks about her journey and takes us along with her as she describes her story. Love that!

8.6/10

11. Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he’s deep-sea fishing (feat. RIOPY)

Spoiler

Another classic! I love how she starts the song with the three white butterflies lyric… genius. She sings over a piano for like 45 seconds or so, then transitions into a beautiful melody. “God if you’re near me send three white butterflies…” From this moment and on, the song just keeps getting better and better. “BUT I HAVE GOOD INTENTIONS EVEN IF IM ONE OF THE LAST ONESSSS” :scream: love that lyric! The instrumentals continue to add up and like I said, it just keeps getting better and better. Then everything calms down and the song ends. I really wish there were more electric guitars in this song, but it’s fine I guess. Besides this, I really love this song!

9.1/10

12. Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty) 

Spoiler

WOW WOW WOW

I love the instrumental on this song! The vibes I get from this song are the ones I felt when listening to Lana’s 2013 acoustic songs. I can see the parallelism :trisha:. I don’t even know how to talk about this song, it’s definitely an acoustic masterpiece. I also love FJM’s contribution to the vocals. It’s not much, but I can’t even imagine him singing a verse. I almost forgot to mention the strings near the end of the song when she says the iconic “OOOOHHHH LET THE LIGHT IN” :lange: it makes the song so much better imo.

9.6/10

13. Margaret (feat. Bleachers)

Spoiler

Oh how do I even begin to describe this song. Unpopular opinion incoming, but this might be my favorite song from the album. Everything about this song is so LANA. The strings, the melody, the vocals.. ugh I’m in love. And yes, I do like Jack’s voice in the song. I might be the only one but I don’t really care! HE 100% should’ve been in the song because at the end of the day, the song is about Jack’s partner :true: I also love the little part when she just talks (not in the song’s melody) and it feels like she’s talking to me. UGH I LOVE IT

9.8/10

14. Fishtail 

Spoiler

DON’T YOU DARE SAY YOU’LL BRAID MY HAIR IF YOU DON’T REALLY CARE :oprah:

This is really Cinnamon Girl’s lost twin sister… THIS SONG WAS MADE FOR ME. However, I do have some thoughts about this song… I LOVE the beat drop and the intro, but besides that, the song really goes nowhere. Cinnamon Girl at least had a little part that made it stand out but there’s nothing in this song. Besides that, I really like the song. I’m listening to it right now, and yeah I’m starting to like the song more. And just a question, I thought Chuck was supposed to be speaking in this song? Correct me if I’m wrong but Fishtail was the track where she was credited as a speaker. Well whatever I still like the song.

9.0/10

15. Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)

Spoiler

Hip-Hop/Trap excellence! :true:

When the song first leaked in LQ, I wasn’t really feeling it. That bomp bomp bomp sound where Tommy sings her part was just more apparent and it was really bothering me. But now that we have it in HQ, I can hear it less and I really love this song now! This sound is so different for Lana and I’m really glad that she executed this sound perfectly. Let’s talk about that final part that honestly made the song perfect - I’m sure you know what part I’m talking about; IT’S JUST SOO GOOD. Thank god Lana put that part in because otherwise, my feelings for this song may have been different. Anyways, a really good song!

9.0/10

16. Taco Truck x VB

Spoiler

We’ve arrived to Lana’s best closer! The intro is so cute, but when she gets to the chorus… I almost collapsed. THAT’S WHY THEY CALL ME LANITA :dance: My only critique for the Taco Truck part of the song is that it should’ve been longer… like I need to hear her say that’s why they call me Lanita one more time. After this, there’s this little break which is a nice addition! You can hear hints of TT and VB in it, which makes the transition into VB even more beautiful. I wasn’t sure what to expect when hearing this original version of VB, but it’s good! I can see why she added it, as it’s more trappy. BUT IMAGINE the serve it would be to make Taco Truck x VB another 10 minute song… if she did that, the track would’ve been 10/10 for me. So the VB part ends (really good) and then you wait a couple seconds, and she says “yeah”. I LOVE that little part for some reason. That one part just closes the album really well. Anyways, AMAZING track.

9.8/10

GET HIGH, DROP ACID, NEVER DIE! :dance:

Ranking

Spoiler

1. Margaret (feat. Bleachers)

2. Taco Truck x VB

3. Fingertips

4. Kintsugi

5. Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)

6. A&W

7. Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he’s deep-sea fishing (feat. RIOPY)

8. Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

9. Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)

10. Fishtail

11. Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)

12. The Grants

13. Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)

14. Sweet

15. Judah Smith Interlude

16. Jon Batiste Interlude

The negativity and petulance in here from some of y'all is truly shocking, tbh. We should be celebrating, not dragging every little thing we didn't expect or connect with. It's ok if some things didn't live up to your expectations, especially considering how intense and exciting this pre-release has been, but some of y'all are just being a downright drag :crossed:

photo.jpglanadelrey-1jpg.jpgphoto.jpg

6 minutes ago, God&Monster said:

Not having standard melody =/= unmelodic

It’s quite simple really- not necessarily a negative depending on who you are- singing starts- singing abruptly stops for rap sample- odd clown car synth behind beat in peppers that doesnt flow to the surf guitars. 

this would be called unmelodic because it doesn’t feature a proper continuous melody,

2 minutes ago, Ultraviolencez said:

how would you all rate this pre-release era (is this crazier or better than the others)

between the pushback, all the random insiders, and being taunted with LQ leaks for 3 weeks, it’s been really exhausting. Not my fav pre-release.

1 minute ago, cinnamongirI said:

Cinnamongirl’s Album Ranking and Review

Hide contents

1. The Grants

Reveal hidden contents

I’ve never done a review before, so bare with me, but this song is really good! I saw that many people did not like the intro of melodye and the other singers, but I LOVE IT. The mess up for some reason perfectly introduces the album. Even though not much else happens throughout the song, I could not think of a better song to start the album! The strings, piano, the vocals… I’m in awe. I also love the theme of the song, her family and the memories she’s going to take with her. When she talks about Chuck’s child and her grandmother’s last smile, that lyric hit hard. I was never close with my family and it just makes me so happy to see how much she loves her family. I have another favorite part in the song, the ending! The way the vocals harmonize and then fade into the outro is just so amazing. Anyways:

8.5/10

1. Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

Reveal hidden contents

Oh my god, what can I say! I remember first hearing this song and almost collapsing, what an amazing day that was. First off, the way the song starts with the piano mixed in with the strings is just outstanding. The way this song starts makes me believe that the title track should’ve been the opener instead of The Grants, but after a few days of thinking, I feel that the title track being number two makes the most sense. There’s just something about the strings throughout the song that is so unique from all of Lana’s other songs. I’m not a musician, but the strings in the title track sound more professional I guess? I don’t know how to describe it, it’s just so good. Onto Lana’s vocals and the vocals of the background singers, just amazing! The melody is sooooo soothing and just gives me chills. Just like The Grants, the ending is astonishing. I could not think of a better way to end this song. 

9/10

3. Sweet

Reveal hidden contents

Ugh, what a cute piano ballad! I’ve always loved Lana’s piano ballads, so just hearing this song makes me happy. I love the vocals and how she says “sweet in barefeet” and how you can find her in the north country. I love how this song is third on the tracklist because I guess it acts like a break from the outstanding instrumentals and then leads into A&W. There’s not much to talk about this song since it’s a piano ballad, but I still really like this song! It made me disappointed to see many people not liking this song, but I guess it’s understandable since it is a piano ballad. Anyways… I dig the piano ballad!

8.5/10

4. A&W

Reveal hidden contents

I say I live in Rosemeade but really I’m at the Ramada :omg: Another amazing song! I’m sure we all remember where we were when the song came out. I remember I was walking in a hallway and tripping when I heard the transition (which I’ll talk about later). The first part of the song is really good! I love the acoustics. Although I wish the guitar was more spooky like Yosemite, it’s still great. Her vocals are great in this song too, but I was more focused on the lyrics. I applaud her singing about such dark lyrics and then transitioning it into a banger… like she’s truly a genius. When the insiders first started to talk about the second part of the song, I was skeptical. I feel like with Lana, her trap/upbeat (whatever you want to call it) songs can either be very good or just disappointing. We saw a lot of that in Lust for Life, with many people having diverse opinions on the upbeat songs. Not wanting to automatically be disappointed, I prepared myself to hear the second part of the song. When the transition started to begin, I was in shock. This is obviously a new sound for her and she did it so well it’s insane. Then, the Jimmy part… wow…. there were mass casualties. I’m really glad Lana incorporated the Jimmy part of A&W because without that, I would’ve felt like there was something lacking. Anyways, a really amazing song and I hope we get more of these songs that transition to beats like that.

9.5/10

5. Judah Smith Interlude

Reveal hidden contents

Wow… what an interlude. I didn’t know what to expect when B** stated that it’s just a pastor talking and Lana giggling. But when I first hit play on this track, I was surprised. I was not expecting these instrumentals, and how Lana’s giggling is echoed like… IT’S JUST SO CREEPY. I swear it’s something straight out of a movie. I can’t wait to see how this transitions into our mysterious queen, Candy Necklace. I felt like I was in the church with Lana (and as of writing this right now, I’m listening to it and wow…). I’m not religious but jeez I felt something. Easily surpasses Burnt Norton

7.5/10

6. Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)

Reveal hidden contents

:angie:

Oh I can’t even describe the feelings I felt when hearing the full Rockefeller lyric… I love how dark the piano is and the way Lana speaks over it. However, I do wish there was more instrumentals (there most likely is because I can hear it but not that well because it’s a phone recording of a vinyl). There’s not much to say about this song, but I’m glad that after 7-8 months, we finally get to hear this song in full. And when we get the full lyrics, I will finally know piece when it’s revealed that she’s not saying “my umbrella” but instead, “my own brother”. 

8.8/10

7. Jon Batiste Interlude

Reveal hidden contents

Wow… another amazing interlude. The “OH!” by Jon when the song starts is just so so good. I love the piano in this interlude and how Lana and Jon’s voices are intertwined to fit the piano. It’s genius. No words. They seem to be having a lot of fun and that just makes me really excited to hear Candy Necklace. Like Kintsugi said, with how the Judah Smith interlude ends with what seems to be a transition and how Jon interlude starts with what seems to be the end of Candy Necklace… the song HAS TO BE MASSIVE. Anyways, lovely interlude. 

7.5/10

8. Kintsugi

Reveal hidden contents

:lange:

What a beautiful song… not sure why the leakers consider this song to be boring because it’s AMAZING. Of course, it took me like one or two plays for me to actually get the song but wow. No words. I don’t even know how to describe this song, it’s just so beautiful. To start off, I love the soft piano and vocals in the beginning of the song. “Chucky was there for three out three, I was there for the third cause I could’t be there for the one that was closest to me” this lyric really hit hard. I had a sister who died when I was born so I never got to meet her. That lyric just now reminded me of her so yeah… Later on in the song, she makes this whistle that just makes Kintsugi even more. I really wish the whistle was longer because it fits the piano so well. “Daddy I miss them, I’m in the mountains” another lyric that hits hard. I’m assuming this has to do something about her being in Spain? I don’t want to assume anything but wow what a lyric. Now, I don’t mind the song length, even though nothing else really happens. She keeps on delivering beautiful lyrics throughout the song so the length is perfect in my opinion. I don’t know how to end this song review because I honestly have so much to say, but I don’t know how to say it. So I’m just gonna end it here, one of her best songs ever.

9.7/10

9. Fingertips

Reveal hidden contents

Damn… wow… oh my god :trisha:

No words. NO WORDS. How do I even begin to write this review… Well, I’ll just talk about the instrumental first. What a beautiful instrumental. I love the subtle piano and the strings. The strings just make the song so much more depressing. The lyrics… wow. She opens the song with the lyric that we all know “When I look back tracing fingertips over plastic bags…” and then the song just transcends into something ethereal. Yes, I know… I sound dramatic but then she asks if she’ll die, the telomeres, and if her family will make it to the extinction of these telomeres. This lyric just reminds me how little time we have on this Earth, and yes I shed a tear. The song continues with a beautiful melody, and then THAT lyric comes, “and Dave, who hung himself real high”. Lana… wow. What a lyric. I’m proud of her for talking about something so sad. Another lyric later in the song that makes me even more sad is the “Give you a blanket, your spirit can sit and watch TV by my side”. I collapsed. What a beautiful, but also so depressing lyric. I don’t know if I can talk about all of the lyrics because they’re just so… sad.  I’m just going to skip to the end of the song for the sake of my mental health and not to rehash any old, sad thoughts. The way she ends with that beautiful melody… just wow. Beautiful song

9.7/10

10. Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)

Reveal hidden contents

What an interesting song. I really love the beginning where she’s like I had to go to Paris (Texas) and her suitcase. I’m getting tired while writing this review and also moderating the site so I’m going to make the rest of the reviews shorter. I love how she says “When you know you know” throughout the song and “it’s time to go”. I love how this song is about her journey traveling to Spain, coming back home, and her experience overall. I have to admit, I had to listen to this song for a couple of times for me to actually like it. It’s a nice song, but nothing really happens. However, I love how she talks about her journey and takes us along with her as she describes her story. Love that!

8.6/10

11. Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he’s deep-sea fishing (feat. RIOPY)

Reveal hidden contents

Another classic! I love how she starts the song with the three white butterflies lyric… genius. She sings over a piano for like 45 seconds or so, then transitions into a beautiful melody. “God if you’re near me send three white butterflies…” From this moment and on, the song just keeps getting better and better. “BUT I HAVE GOOD INTENTIONS EVEN IF IM ONE OF THE LAST ONESSSS” :scream: love that lyric! The instrumentals continue to add up and like I said, it just keeps getting better and better. Then everything calms down and the song ends. I really wish there were more electric guitars in this song, but it’s fine I guess. Besides this, I really love this song!

9.1/10

12. Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty) 

Reveal hidden contents

WOW WOW WOW

I love the instrumental on this song! The vibes I get from this song are the ones I felt when listening to Lana’s 2013 acoustic songs. I can see the parallelism :trisha:. I don’t even know how to talk about this song, it’s definitely an acoustic masterpiece. I also love FJM’s contribution to the vocals. It’s not much, but I can’t even imagine him singing a verse. I almost forgot to mention the strings near the end of the song when she says the iconic “OOOOHHHH LET THE LIGHT IN” :lange: it makes the song so much better imo.

9.6/10

13. Margaret (feat. Bleachers)

Reveal hidden contents

Oh how do I even begin to describe this song. Unpopular opinion incoming, but this might be my favorite song from the album. Everything about this song is so LANA. The strings, the melody, the vocals.. ugh I’m in love. And yes, I do like Jack’s voice in the song. I might be the only one but I don’t really care! HE 100% should’ve been in the song because at the end of the day, the song is about Jack’s partner :true: I also love the little part when she just talks (not in the song’s melody) and it feels like she’s talking to me. UGH I LOVE IT

9.8/10

14. Fishtail 

Reveal hidden contents

DON’T YOU DARE SAY YOU’LL BRAID MY HAIR IF YOU DON’T REALLY CARE :oprah:

This is really Cinnamon Girl’s lost twin sister… THIS SONG WAS MADE FOR ME. However, I do have some thoughts about this song… I LOVE the beat drop and the intro, but besides that, the song really goes nowhere. Cinnamon Girl at least had a little part that made it stand out but there’s nothing in this song. Besides that, I really like the song. I’m listening to it right now, and yeah I’m starting to like the song more. And just a question, I thought Chuck was supposed to be speaking in this song? Correct me if I’m wrong but Fishtail was the track where she was credited as a speaker. Well whatever I still like the song.

9.0/10

15. Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)

Reveal hidden contents

Hip-Hop/Trap excellence! :true:

When the song first leaked in LQ, I wasn’t really feeling it. That bomp bomp bomp sound where Tommy sings her part was just more apparent and it was really bothering me. But now that we have it in HQ, I can hear it less and I really love this song now! This sound is so different for Lana and I’m really glad that she executed this sound perfectly. Let’s talk about that final part that honestly made the song perfect - I’m sure you know what part I’m talking about; IT’S JUST SOO GOOD. Thank god Lana put that part in because otherwise, my feelings for this song may have been different. Anyways, a really good song!

9.0/10

16. Taco Truck x VB

Reveal hidden contents

We’ve arrived to Lana’s best closer! The intro is so cute, but when she gets to the chorus… I almost collapsed. THAT’S WHY THEY CALL ME LANITA :dance: My only critique for the Taco Truck part of the song is that it should’ve been longer… like I need to hear her say that’s why they call me Lanita one more time. After this, there’s this little break which is a nice addition! You can hear hints of TT and VB in it, which makes the transition into VB even more beautiful. I wasn’t sure what to expect when hearing this original version of VB, but it’s good! I can see why she added it, as it’s more trappy. BUT IMAGINE the serve it would be to make Taco Truck x VB another 10 minute song… if she did that, the track would’ve been 10/10 for me. So the VB part ends (really good) and then you wait a couple seconds, and she says “yeah”. I LOVE that little part for some reason. That one part just closes the album really well. Anyways, AMAZING track.

9.8/10

GET HIGH, DROP ACID, NEVER DIE! :dance:

Ranking

Reveal hidden contents

1. Margaret (feat. Bleachers)

2. Taco Truck x VB

3. Fingertips

4. Kintsugi

5. Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)

6. A&W

7. Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he’s deep-sea fishing (feat. RIOPY)

8. Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

9. Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)

10. Fishtail

11. Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)

12. The Grants

13. Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)

14. Sweet

15. Judah Smith Interlude

16. Jon Batiste Interlude

I cannot wait to read this after I've listened to the whole thing. Please post in the post-release thread too :popcorn:

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

7 minutes ago, Selfloathinpoet said:
  Hide contents

I like margaret but what the fuck is jack saying? what does he mean?:pout:

Spoiler

? All my friends

with their red flags and their ? And their black eyes and their blue eyes

If you’re asking yourself

“how do you know?”

Then that’s your answer

the answer is no

You better run

you better run run run run like your head’s on fire

run away like your head is on fire

it kinda sounds like he’s saying “black eyes” twice but I’m not sure so leaving as a question mark for now lol

21 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Peppers, American & whore and taco truck don’t have standard melodies- they feature loud talking over samples, odd transitions and gaps where nothing is sung but you’d expect it to be.

Get used to it I guess because she starts the revolution of the whole music industry for the next decade(s) :silly: Watch it be BTD2.0, even pitchfork changed their mind about it 10 years later

16 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Peppers, American & whore and taco truck don’t have standard melodies- they feature loud talking over samples, odd transitions and gaps where nothing is sung but you’d expect it to be.

can't say anything about peppers or taco truck before listening to them but a&w EASILY has one of her best melodies, the first part could be bare piano and i would eat it up because the melody does all the work (something i cannot say for songs like beautiful or violets for roses, per example). just because a song doesn't follow your standard 3-minute tune structure doesn't mean that it's not good, quite the opposite atleast with miss american whore 

10 minutes ago, Mer said:

I cannot wait to read this after I've listened to the whole thing. Please post in the post-release thread too :popcorn:

Spoiler

So funny, Margaret also ended up being my favorite on the record. Their chorus is so fun to sing a long to. The vibe of the song reminds me so much of Tomorrow Never Came, they kind of share the same nostalgic, oldie sentiment.

Ops wrong comment reply

By the way, thanks for that, on the way, I'll pray for ya
But you'll need a miracle
America

32 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Hide contents

I write for a living, so I'll reserve my right to criticize someone's lyrics, thanks. Also, lyrics about suicide, childhood drama, etc, can be bad. 

And, frankly, I don't think she's "put her heart and soul into them." More like came up with them on the spot and sang into a voice note, which is exactly what they sound like. 

Ok let's see what you've written

28f86ed650faa5c929167dc4b8b180ff.jpg

imageproxy.jpg