Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

6 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

when the song first dropped and lyrics were scrobbled on genius obvs, as per usual, there were some mistakes. there still could be some tbh.

Lanas voice just does that (cool) thing sometimes where it can really sound like a number of words. 

anyways I remember day 1, ppl thought a line in the bridge was "Leanin' in my/the back, whisperin in my ear" but its been updated to "Lennon in the back, whisperin in my ear" and yeah that just makes sooo much more sense.  Especially since she was talking about a song produced by him at the moment (Dont forget me). 

It also just sounds more like what she is saying there than the former when you listen... to me anyway??

IDK- what do you guys predict the lyric is ? 

Lana always pays homage to her inspirations in such a sweet way. 

Lenin, not Lennon, her communist era ... :ohmy:

the one line in the bridge is

"Lennon in the back,whisperin in my ear"

right? It would make sense as he produced the song she is singing about at that moment (Dont forget me) and hes one of her big inspirations too.

But I do see a lot of ppl getting "Leaning in the back" or "leanin on my back"

IDK:derpna3:

okay i got really into this analysis so it's in a spoiler

Spoiler

to me this song feels so desperate, more than any other emotion.

so many lyrics in this song are questions, or almost pleas, from the first line (did you know...) to the entirety of the chorus (the question: when's it gonna be my turn? and the pleas: open me, tell me, fuck me, love me, and the most impactful: don't forget me). over and over she asks for these things, so much so that it begins to feel distressing. the desperation builds so beautifully throughout the song, culminating in the repeated "don't forget me" – more than anything, even if she can't get what she needs, she just doesn't want to be forgotten. 

When's it gonna be my turn?
Open me up, tell me you like it
Fuck me to death, love me until I love myself

the desperation is definitely (at least partially) related to romantic relationships. however i also really get the sense that it's addressed to the public/her fans – it's not just a desperation to remain relevant and loved by a partner, but to remain relevant to the world. she doesn't want to be forgotten by everyone (like the tunnel under ocean blvd has been forgotten, after being so beautiful and special for so many years). in a way the lyrics feel parallel to young and beautiful – will we forget her, or will her lover forget her, as she grows older, and becomes possibly less relevant? the line "when's it gonna be my turn" really pulls on this for me as well; just like the tunnel eventually was abandoned, when will it be her turn to be forgotten and abandoned? 

I can't help but feel somewhat like my body marred my soul
Handmade beauty sealed up by two man-made walls

these lines in particular really get me. (whether she intended it this way or not) the feeling of her body marring her soul feels so relevant to my/many people's struggle with body image and body dysmorphia. sometimes we can't help feeling that if our bodies aren't good enough, we aren't good enough – hence our bodies "mar"/ruin/ruin the appearance of our souls. she returns to the metaphor of the tunnel so beautifully with the idea of man-made walls; her interior beauty, and the tunnel's interior beauty, is hidden by external appearances and walls. i think the line also refers to emotional man-made walls. who she really is (her emotions, thoughts, and true desires) have been sealed by who she appears to be (physically, emotionally, etc etc etc), and who she tries to appear to be – to the public eye, to herself, to her partners, to her friends.

she is also trying to be treasured for who she is now – by asking "did you know that there's a tunnel", she draws attention to something otherwise ignored, much like she fears she will be. she wants people to notice her now, treasure her now, bringing love back to herself when she feels forgotten and lost. by asking to be "opened up", she creates a parallel between opening up the tunnel to restore it/treasure it and opening her up to find everything beautiful inside rather than just continuing to neglect her. among all the mess and run-down interior of the tunnel, she wants to be told "you like it" – just like she wants to be "liked" for all the mess and neglect inside herself. because she feels neglected and crumbling to pieces internally, she wants to be "loved" for this until she feels she can "love herself" for all her imperfections. 

there's also an aspect of yearning for who she used to be – the tunnel is in a state of disrepair because it's been ignored, and restoring it will bring it back to its former beauty. while she is appreciating the tunnel for all of its issues/disarray, even asking for it to be appreciated this way, the nagging feeling of "i wish it was fixed and still as beautiful as it used to be" runs underneath. the "don't forget me" lines work with this as well, because even though the tunnel should be "liked" for what it is, it has still been forgotten. lana doesn't want to be forgotten, and therefore doesn't want to be allowed to exist in this state of disrepair. it feels like she wants to restore her former self, who she used to be on the inside and on the outside, before she sealed herself up, maybe even forgot herself, and before people forgot who she was. she wants to be loved for who she is now, but can't help but feel she was maybe better before. 

There's a girl that sings "Hotel California"
Not because she loves the notes or sounds that sound like Florida
It's because she's in a world, preserved, only a few have found the door

It's like Camarillo, only silver mirrors, running down the corridor

the only thing i can think of that relates to "camarillo" is the mental institution that used to be in camarillo. it's been rumored that "hotel california" refers to the camarillo state mental hospital, so honestly it feels plausible considering there's a hotel california reference a few lines above.

regarding the hotel california line, it comes across as follows – she's not singing hotel california because she wants to but because she's almost stuck in this "preserved" world, in which she has no other options but to sing these songs. it reminds me of how she was singing GKIT recently, which someone else mentioned, and how GKIT also references hotel california – it’s possible she could mean hotel california as in the GKIT i tried lyric, which creates a really interesting reflection on her external/public appearance and singing her old songs…  it could also be that she's preserved herself in this world, trapped herself in some sort of idea of who she is or needs to be, and therefore forces herself to continue singing. to me this ties in with the contradictory emotions of wanting to restore herself to who she used to be, while also wanting to be loved for who she is now. the idea that "only a few have found the door" suggests that there are some people who have been able to find her true self, or something along those lines.

but also, because of the camarillo reference – is she singing hotel california because her former self is preserved, or because she's stuck in an institution, "preserved", deemed as crazy or detoxing or struggling in some way, like the line "you can check out any time but you can never leave"? has she trapped herself figuratively in the tunnel, stuck in this whirlwind of ideas of who she's supposed to be on the inside and on the outside? has someone else trapped her there – have we trapped her there, with our preconceived notions of who she is? have her friends and partners trapped her there? this verse is honestly fascinating – the idea of mirrors and self reflection, or being forced to look at yourself, the reference to camarillo/hotel california, the reference to florida – possibly a reference to her younger self, as she used to visit florida quite a bit –, the idea that only a few can find her, the idea that she's stuck in this scene........ i love it.

Harry Nilsson has a song, his voice breaks at 2:05
Something about the way he says "Don't forget me" makes me feel like
I just wish I had a friend like him.... 

.... whisperin' in my ear, "Come on, baby, you can thrive", but I can't

these lines are honestly just so sweet to listen to. they tie in so beautifully with the themes of the song and are so beautiful melodically. her wish to have a friend who would tell her she can thrive is so simple and sweet – truly, what she wants is external validation. someone to tell her they like her for who she is, imperfections and all, someone that will love her, who knows she can thrive. 

the lyrics to this song are just so special. like i said, they feel so desperate. the intro to the song also reminds me so much of the intro to ride – the strings followed by a deep breath. however, in ride, she inhales – she's building up all this energy – whereas in ocean blvd, she exhales. the entire song is just such a cathartic release of emotion and feeling, releasing these pleas into the world that she's otherwise held in. it is a true window into her soul, breaking down the walls that she asks to be broken in the song, opening herself up, and hoping that we like it. the exhale at the beginning sounds almost like a wave washing over your head. the very end of the song there's a little click that sounds like a record needle stopping which not only is iconic but really compartmentalizes the emotion in the song – the exhale is the beginning, the needle scratch is the end. 

the only takeaway that i think is worth sharing outside of a spoiler is that "camarillo" might be referring to the camarillo state mental hospital, which "hotel california" has been rumored to be about. whether or not hotel california is about camarillo, i think it makes sense for lana to reference the two in the same verse!

sUcVobB.png

41 minutes ago, honeybadger said:

okay i got really into this analysis so it's in a spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

to me this song feels so desperate, more than any other emotion.

so many lyrics in this song are questions, or almost pleas, from the first line (did you know...) to the entirety of the chorus (the question: when's it gonna be my turn? and the pleas: open me, tell me, fuck me, love me, and the most impactful: don't forget me). over and over she asks for these things, so much so that it begins to feel distressing. the desperation builds so beautifully throughout the song, culminating in the repeated "don't forget me" – more than anything, even if she can't get what she needs, she just doesn't want to be forgotten. 

Open me up, tell me you like it
Fuck me to death, love me until I love myself

the desperation is definitely (at least partially) related to romantic relationships. however i also really get the sense that it's addressed to the public/her fans – it's not just a desperation to remain relevant and loved by a partner, but to remain relevant to the world. she doesn't want to be forgotten by everyone (like the tunnel under ocean blvd has been forgotten, after being so beautiful and special for so many years). in a way the lyrics feel parallel to young and beautiful – will we forget her, or will her lover forget her, as she grows older, and becomes possibly less relevant? the line "when's it gonna be my turn" really pulls on this for me as well; just like the tunnel eventually was abandoned, when will it be her turn to be forgotten and abandoned? 

I can't help but feel somewhat like my body marred my soul
Handmade beauty sealed up by two man-made walls

these lines in particular really get me. (whether she intended it this way or not) the feeling of her body marring her soul feels so relevant to my/many people's struggle with body image and body dysmorphia. sometimes we can't help feeling that if our bodies aren't good enough, we aren't good enough – hence our bodies "mar"/ruin/ruin the appearance of our souls. she returns to the metaphor of the tunnel so beautifully with the idea of man-made walls; her interior beauty, and the tunnel's interior beauty, is hidden by external appearances and walls. i think the line also refers to emotional man-made walls. who she really is (her emotions, thoughts, and true desires) have been sealed by who she appears to be (physically, emotionally, etc etc etc), and who she tries to appear to be – to the public eye, to herself, to her partners, to her friends.

she is also trying to be treasured for who she is now – by asking "did you know that there's a tunnel", she draws attention to something otherwise ignored, much like she fears she will be. she wants people to notice her now, treasure her now, bringing love back to herself when she feels forgotten and lost. by asking to be "opened up", she creates a parallel between opening up the tunnel to restore it/treasure it and opening her up to find everything beautiful inside rather than just continuing to neglect her. among all the mess and run-down interior of the tunnel, she wants to be told "you like it" – just like she wants to be "liked" for all the mess and neglect inside herself. because she feels neglected and crumbling to pieces internally, she wants to be "loved" for this until she feels she can "love herself" for all her imperfections. 

there's also an aspect of yearning for who she used to be – the tunnel is in a state of disrepair because it's been ignored, and restoring it will bring it back to its former beauty. while she is appreciating the tunnel for all of its issues/disarray, even asking for it to be appreciated this way, the nagging feeling of "i wish it was fixed and still as beautiful as it used to be" runs underneath. the "don't forget me" lines work with this as well, because even though the tunnel should be "liked" for what it is, it has still been forgotten. lana doesn't want to be forgotten, and therefore doesn't want to be allowed to exist in this state of disrepair. it feels like she wants to restore her former self, who she used to be on the inside and on the outside, before she sealed herself up, maybe even forgot herself, and before people forgot who she was. she wants to be loved for who she is now, but can't help but feel she was maybe better before. 

There's a girl that sings "Hotel California"
Not because she loves the notes or sounds that sound like Florida
It's because she's in a world, preserved, only a few have found the door

It's like Camarillo, only silver mirrors, running down the corridor

the only thing i can think of that relates to "camarillo" is the mental institution that used to be in camarillo. it's been rumored that "hotel california" refers to the camarillo state mental hospital, so honestly it feels plausible considering there's a hotel california reference a few lines above.

regarding the hotel california line, it comes across as follows – she's not singing hotel california because she wants to but because she's almost stuck in this "preserved" world, in which she has no other options but to sing these songs. it reminds me of how she was singing GKIT recently, which someone else mentioned, and how GKIT also references hotel california – it’s possible she could mean hotel california as in the GKIT i tried lyric, which creates a really interesting reflection on her external/public appearance and singing her old songs…  it could also be that she's preserved herself in this world, trapped herself in some sort of idea of who she is or needs to be, and therefore forces herself to continue singing. to me this ties in with the contradictory emotions of wanting to restore herself to who she used to be, while also wanting to be loved for who she is now. the idea that "only a few have found the door" suggests that there are some people who have been able to find her true self, or something along those lines.

but also, because of the camarillo reference – is she singing hotel california because her former self is preserved, or because she's stuck in an institution, "preserved", deemed as crazy or detoxing or struggling in some way, like the line "you can check out any time but you can never leave"? has she trapped herself figuratively in the tunnel, stuck in this whirlwind of ideas of who she's supposed to be on the inside and on the outside? has someone else trapped her there – have we trapped her there, with our preconceived notions of who she is? have her friends and partners trapped her there? this verse is honestly fascinating – the idea of mirrors and self reflection, or being forced to look at yourself, the reference to camarillo/hotel california, the reference to florida – possibly a reference to her younger self, as she used to visit florida quite a bit –, the idea that only a few can find her, the idea that she's stuck in this scene........ i love it.

Harry Nilsson has a song, his voice breaks at 2:05
Something about the way he says "Don't forget me" makes me feel like
I just wish I had a friend like him.... 

.... whisperin' in my ear, "Come on, baby, you can thrive", but I can't

these lines are honestly just so sweet to listen to. they tie in so beautifully with the themes of the song and are so beautiful melodically. her wish to have a friend who would tell her she can thrive is so simple and sweet – truly, what she wants is external validation. someone to tell her they like her for who she is, imperfections and all, someone that will love her, who knows she can thrive. 

the lyrics to this song are just so special. like i said, they feel so desperate. the intro to the song also reminds me so much of the intro to ride – the strings followed by a deep breath. however, in ride, she inhales – she's building up all this energy – whereas in ocean blvd, she exhales. the entire song is just such a cathartic release of emotion and feeling, releasing these pleas into the world that she's otherwise held in. it is a true window into her soul, breaking down the walls that she asks to be broken in the song, opening herself up, and hoping that we like it. the exhale at the beginning sounds almost like a wave washing over your head. the very end of the song there's a little click that sounds like a record needle stopping which not only is iconic but really compartmentalizes the emotion in the song – the exhale is the beginning, the needle scratch is the end. 

the only takeaway that i think is worth sharing outside of a spoiler is that "camarillo" might be referring to the camarillo state mental hospital, which "hotel california" has been rumored to be about. whether or not hotel california is about camarillo, i think it makes sense for lana to reference the two in the same verse!

:oprah: Best analysis I've read, I think it says everything!

Camrvvubnunfcjuknjukklllöpzhjillrunningdowncorridor:lange::wowcry:

I live for her mumbling, the part is amazing :wowcry: 

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

I was thinking "When's it gonna be my turn?" has a double meaning... 1) When's it going to be her turn to be loved unconditionally, and 2) When's it going to be her turn to be forgotten and sealed like the tunnel under Ocean Blvd. ("Open me up, tell me you like me, fuck me to death, love me until I love myself" following and is applicable to both.)

i’ve been ruminating over the second verse of tunnel ever since it came out 

there’s a girl that sings hotel california

not because she loves the notes or sounds that sound like florida

its because she’s in a world, preserved, only a few have found the door

its like a camarillo, only silver mirrors, running down the corridor”

gives me chills every single time i listen to it. i think it may be my favorite part of the song :cryney2:

3 minutes ago, ultrablvds said:

gives me chills every single time i listen to it. i think it may be my favorite part of the song :cryney2:

“oh maAn” :xcry::oprah:

BE4-BF75-D-1-C25-4-A49-AE3-E-558-FB954-A

35 minutes ago, ultrablvds said:

no but really she ate this part up. fully obliterated it. the delivery is unmatched

37 minutes ago, ultrablvds said:

The poetry is unmatched, I think this and the final chorus with the choir are my favorite parts

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.