Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

1 minute ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Still prefer thrive :true:

I like drive because I can’t drive either so it’s relatable to me:yesnod:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

I think the lyric is very clearly “Leanin’ on my back, whisperin’ in my ear, come on, baby, you can thrive”.

A random reference to Lennon when she’s already made Harry Nilsson the point of reference is too niche and obscure even for Lana to make—and she usually integrates references like that so that they can stand alone. It doesn’t work in this context.

I think she just kind of mumbles the beginning of the phrase as a stylistic choice, so it’s difficult to discern exactly what she’s saying (and phonetically sounds like “lenin’ in my back”). And there’s a clear “th” sound on “thrive” so it can’t be “drive”. 

14 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

I think the lyric is very clearly “Leanin’ on my back, whisperin’ in my ear, come on, baby, you can thrive”.

A random reference to Lennon when she’s already made Harry Nilsson the point of reference is too niche and obscure even for Lana to make—and she usually integrates references like that so that they can stand alone. It doesn’t make work in this context.

I think she just kind of mumbles the beginning of the phrase as a stylistic choice, so it’s difficult to discern exactly what she’s saying (and phonetically sounds like “lenin’ in my back”). And there’s a clear “th” sound on “thrive” so it can’t be “drive”. 

i hear clearly "leaning on my back", but honestly "lennon in my back" would be just as niche as when she says ''its like camarillo, only silver mirrors running down the corridor'', which was the mental hospital in ventura that was taken down but there are a plenty of rumours that ''hotel california'' was inspired of, and the single cover of the song is the exact place (that nowadays is a university)

tumblr_static_7g61u4n53vk0808w440k8gwoo.

*:・゚✧:・゚✧ i catch you on the flipside ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 

I don't think the Lennon reference is too obscure at all, "Lennon in the back" meaning in the background (with the motif of listening to music that pervades the entire track) so it can still make sense even if she says thrive 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

10 minutes ago, GrenadineGrass said:

i hear clearly "leaning on my back", but honestly "lennon in my back would just the as niche" as when she says ''its like camarillo, only silver mirrors running down the corridor'', which was the mental hospital in ventura that was taken down but there are a plenty of rumours that ''hotel california'' was inspired of, and the single cover of the song is the exact place (that nowadays is a university)

This is such a great point. But I think that the Camarillo line is the exact kind of niche that makes sense for Lana because she already set the stage for that reference by starting that verse with a mention of Hotel California! Like, Camarillo is Hotel California. So I don’t think it’s as obscure as Lennon - but I totally get it lol. 

lana was mumbling the verses of tunnel so i hope official lyrics will be posted for the rest of the album if she continues that singing style. when i first heard the song i legitimately could not understand the “it’s like camarillo” and “harry nillson has a song” parts even after replaying them over and over again

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

2 minutes ago, cherrytropico said:

lana was mumbling the verses of tunnel so i hope official lyrics will be posted for the rest of the album if she continues that singing style. when i first heard the song i legitimately could not understand the “it’s like camarillo” and “harry nillson has a song” parts even after replaying them over and over again

until blue banisters, lana has always put AT LEAST the lyrics of singles on the vinyl/cd packages, so 24th of march we will discover!

tumblr_static_7g61u4n53vk0808w440k8gwoo.

*:・゚✧:・゚✧ i catch you on the flipside ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 

Just now, paris texas said:

if lana didn't mention harry nilsson in her song then i could totally understand why people think it's NOT "lennon in the back" but she did and he obviously produced the song she's referring to and it just makes sense to me?

I think I’d agree that it’s Lennon if I didn’t hear “my back”. I hear a clear “m” sound…ugh Lana please confirm!

4 minutes ago, paris texas said:

if lana didn't mention harry nilsson in her song then i could totally understand why people think it's NOT "lennon in the back" but she did and he obviously produced the song she's referring to and it just makes sense to me?

and honestly, I prefer the Lennon line because it adds an extra layer of complexity and nuance to her songwriting, that she's thinking about all of these musical legends and iconic songs/places around her juxtaposed with a forgotten tunnel that she's building on top of with her own psychological anxieties of not wanting to be forgotten 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

1 minute ago, Furor Poeticus said:

We wouldn't have problems with lyrics if she included them all in the booklet but she loves our suffering :bebe:

fr, her posting that recycled story a few days ago and then not saying anything else was a vile thing to do:cryney:

Just now, Fingertips said:

and honestly, I prefer the Lennon line because it adds an extra layer of complexity and nuance to her songwriting, that she's thinking about all of these musical legends and iconic songs/places around her juxtaposed with a forgotten tunnel that she's building on top of with her own psychological fear of not wanting to be forgotten 

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

lennon/leaning is the one that i’m most torn on, both make very good sense but if she said “leaning” then she pronounced it extremely lazily, it’s very clearly a short E rather than a long E. but also i still can’t hear her say “in knots” instead of “on [ice]” in MTWBT whatsoever so :bebe:

29 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

i'm sorry but this is sending me :eartha:

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif