Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

36 minutes ago, honeybadger said:

there's a girl who sings hotel california

not because she loves the notes or sounds that sound like florida

it's because she's in a world preserved only a few have found the door

it's like camarillo only silver mirrors running down the corridor 

okay but... the imagery in these lines is CRAZY... mentioning hotel california by the eagles (recorded in florida) and camarillo state hospital – hotel california is rumored to be written about camarillo – and "silver mirrors" which reminds me of sylvia plath's poem mirror which begins with the line "i am silver and exact" and is about being faced with objective truth and this truth not reflecting who you think you are... she is a genius

tulla-luana-crying.gif

Reveal hidden contents

Mirror

I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.
Whatever I see I swallow immediately
Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike.
I am not cruel, only truthful‚
The eye of a little god, four-cornered.
Most of the time I meditate on the opposite wall.
It is pink, with speckles. I have looked at it so long
I think it is part of my heart. But it flickers.
Faces and darkness separate us over and over.

Now I am a lake. A woman bends over me,
Searching my reaches for what she really is.
Then she turns to those liars, the candles or the moon.
I see her back, and reflect it faithfully.
She rewards me with tears and an agitation of hands.
I am important to her. She comes and goes.
Each morning it is her face that replaces the darkness.
In me she has drowned a young girl, and in me an old woman
Rises toward her day after day, like a terrible fish.

i can't wait for the rest of the album, ocean blvd is just more and more interesting lyrically the more you dig into it, the use of metaphor and cultural references is incredible and i'm so so excited to hear everything

THIS :wowcry: i was really worried in the interview where she said “theres no room for color in this album” that we wouldnt get imagery. i couldnt have been more wrong. tunnel ALONE is filled with so much beautiful imagery my heart could barely take it on first listen

On 1/25/2023 at 6:24 PM, Sweet said:

Also, no cursive way of singing can convince me that she isn’t singing “mind” but marred. When you sing something with a vowel like an “ah” sound it doesn’t need to be closed but she actually sings “ind” sound which ends differently. She’s also not singing marred as maahurd (british tone).

Enjoyed your discussion. I came around to your way of viewing the lyric. It's legit, you read it, "mind," tho others of us hear, "marred," because Lana Del Rey leaves her lyrics open to interpretation. Likely she meant it that way!

As an analogy, the lyric from Mariner's I"m the board, the lightening the thunder, I always thought, "bolt" makes sense, because it's talking about lightening and thunder. So, Lana's the "bolt." Then I read, "board," but that makes sense, too,  because Lana is "boss" or "chairman of the board" of her own brand, "Lana Del Rey."

As an aside, Lanaboards is an escape, and the music. Lana creates an alternate universe! To me, Lana's music is an alternate universe to escape to. Does anyone else play songs in their head? Lana Del Rey's songs play easily in my head, so I can escape, if I am stressed, without physically leaving to play her mp3s on my PC.

"Lanaland" I call it to myself. It's like "Dollywood." Lana could capitalize on her brand more - like Dolly Parton - but she doesn't. When I was thinking this, Lana created the village on her website . . .

Lana Del Rey seems to leave her lyrics ambiguous, purposefully unspecific. Your hearing "mind" is as legit as  "marred!"

I was just thinking ab how when Tunnel came out I immediately wanted to listen to Don't Forget Me by Nilsson on spotify & I did but I remember there werent any lyrics with it at that point. Then a week or two later I checked again & there were & I swear i'm not making this up- I'm sure some others can probably corroborate ?

I have no idea how spotify works w putting in lyrics but I wonder if there was a big flood to the song and that's why they finally put some in? or if someone contacted them & asked them to. I think it was the whole Pussy Cats album tbh but I feel like its too big a coincidence they were put in only shortly after Tunnels release...

anyway, I think there's something so sweet about that.

Lana rly said dont forget me & also made sure we remember the man who sang/wrote the song Dont Forget Me 

Harry Nilsson, we remember you :cryney2: 

22 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

I was just thinking ab how when Tunnel came out I immediately wanted to listen to Don't Forget Me by Nilsson on spotify & I did but I remember there werent any lyrics with it at that point. Then a week or two later I checked again & there were & I swear i'm not making this up- I'm sure some others can probably corroborate ?

I have no idea how spotify works w putting in lyrics but I wonder if there was a big flood to the song and that's why they finally put some in? or if someone contacted them & asked them to. I think it was the whole Pussy Cats album tbh but I feel like its too big a coincidence they were put in only shortly after Tunnels release...

anyway, I think there's something so sweet about that.

Lana rly said dont forget me & also made sure we remember the man who sang/wrote the song Dont Forget Me 

Harry Nilsson, we remember you :cryney2: 

As far as I know Spotify gets its lyrics from Musixmatch, which works like Genius, but not everyone is allowed to create lyrics there

So when Ocean Blvd came out, someone seemed to get the idea to complete the lyrics for Nilsson on Musixmatch, which then automatically ended up on Spotify as well

9 minutes ago, Harry Nilsson said:

As far as I know Spotify gets its lyrics from Musixmatch, which works like Genius, but not everyone is allowed to create lyrics there

So when Ocean Blvd came out, someone seemed to get the idea to complete the lyrics for Nilsson on Musixmatch, which then automatically ended up on Spotify as well

Lanas/Tunnels  impact here wow  :crying4:

3 hours ago, Louise said:

Enjoyed your discussion. I came around to your way of viewing the lyric. It's legit, you read it, "mind," tho others of us hear, "marred," because Lana Del Rey leaves her lyrics open to interpretation. Likely she meant it that way!

As an analogy, the lyric from Mariner's I"m the board, the lightening the thunder, I always thought, "bolt" makes sense, because it's talking about lightening and thunder. So, Lana's the "bolt." Then I read, "board," but that makes sense, too,  because Lana is "boss" or "chairman of the board" of her own brand, "Lana Del Rey."

As an aside, Lanaboards is an escape, and the music. Lana creates an alternate universe! To me, Lana's music is an alternate universe to escape to. Does anyone else play songs in their head? Lana Del Rey's songs play easily in my head, so I can escape, if I am stressed, without physically leaving to play her mp3s on my PC.

"Lanaland" I call it to myself. It's like "Dollywood." Lana could capitalize on her brand more - like Dolly Parton - but she doesn't. When I was thinking this, Lana created the village on her website . . .

Lana Del Rey seems to leave her lyrics ambiguous, purposefully unspecific. Your hearing "mind" is as legit as  "marred!"

Okay, I can see that.
About her song playing in your head- That’s how I got into Lana back in 2012. I remember hearing Video Games on VH1 for the first time and it felt so weird and fascinating at the same time and I remember a couple of days later the melody haunted me and then BAM I got into BTD and then UV came out in 2014 and omg I was 15 and felt like the baddest sad bitch listening to it. 

For me her melodies are what truly sets her music apart. 

8Qg234E.gif

1 hour ago, Sweet said:

Okay, I can see that.
About her song playing in your head- That’s how I got into Lana back in 2012. I remember hearing Video Games on VH1 for the first time and it felt so weird and fascinating at the same time and I remember a couple of days later the melody haunted me and then BAM I got into BTD and then UV came out in 2014 and omg I was 15 and felt like the baddest sad bitch listening to it. 

For me her melodies are what truly sets her music apart. 

Nice experiences! I checked out Lana in 2011 because I thought she is someone's folk-singing daughter strumming guitar in the back yard . . . and that can be pleasant! Sampling a few songs on youtube including Video Games, it was obvious Lana Del Rey was fully-realized artist even back then! Tho, I couldn't understand the hullaballoo over Video Games when Million Dollar Man and Without You (China Doll) were also out! Not that I do not like Video Games just there is already a great catalog But, no, Video Games isn't my jam  . . . So what you said about melodies . . . I agree. Lana is a composer with her voice! Those melodies! As far as aesthetics, I had been knocked out by the fiim, Wanda, written, directed, and starring actress Barbara Loden. Here is her photo

800px-Barbara_Loden_in_1964.jpg

I was so impressed with the film and acting. Actually, I didn't know until just now Barbara Loden wrote and directed it. Whether Lana knew about the film or not, Lana carried forward this aesthetic, to me . . . Staggering, the similarities. But Lana says she doesn't have a persona, so it couldn't be based on the character, Wanda.

So, melodies, yes. Lana is a composer to me, and has the voice to realize her melodic ideas.

7 minutes ago, Louise said:

Nice experiences! I checked out Lana in 2011 because I thought she is someone's folk-singing daughter strumming guitar in the back yard . . . and that can be pleasant! Sampling a few songs on youtube including Video Games, it was obvious Lana Del Rey was fully-realized artist even back then! Tho, I couldn't understand the hullaballoo over Video Games when Million Dollar Man and Without You (China Doll) were also out! Not that I do not like Video Games just there is already a great catalog But, no, Video Games isn't my jam  . . . So what you said about melodies . . . I agree. Lana is a composer with her voice! Those melodies! As far as aesthetics, I had been knocked out by the fiim, Wanda, written, directed, and starring actress Barbara Loden. Here is her photo

800px-Barbara_Loden_in_1964.jpg

I was so impressed with the film and acting. Actually, I didn't know until just now Barbara Loden wrote and directed it. Whether Lana knew about the film or not, Lana carried forward this aesthetic, to me . . . Staggering, the similarities. But Lana says she doesn't have a persona, so it couldn't be based on the character, Wanda.

So, melodies, yes. Lana is a composer to me, and has the voice to realize her melodic ideas.

I just looked up the plot of this movie and it does seem very possible Lana watched it and was inspired in some way by it! 

It definitely reminds me of Kinda Outta Luck and Off to the Races lol

1 hour ago, Sweet said:

the melody haunted me and then BAM I got into BTD

After sampling the videos, and noting Lana isn't just a strumming guitar folkie for backyard barbeques, I watched the video for Born to Die, I thought, "I'm done. Nice artist, I listened, I heard, now I'm done with that." That night, Born to Die song came into my dream, esp. the voice calling, "Lana," and the scary thought: You're not done! No. I'm not done with you, so you are NOT done. I realized I was addicted.

That trap melody, or whatever you young people call it. It got its hooks in me!

A lingering thought, I think the way she sings fuck me to death, and can make it sound so serene and even pure is honestly just one of the best things. I don’t think anyone else can really pull that off so serenely, and that’s just a testament to herself, her art and legacy of her soul, what a beautiful being you are miss rey

UV/Honeymoon

I am glad that the lyrics are potentially "You can drive" not "You can thrive." I originally heard drive and I thought that metaphor was so powerful. I was disappointed when I read the lyric was thrive as it was too literal for my taste. I am deciding that the lyric is drive, unless she releases a lyric book that says differently. 

Now that Doja Cat, Ariana, Camila, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyonce have had number ones with songs about being sexy, wearing no clothes, fucking, cheating etc - can I please go back to singing about being embodied, feeling beautiful by being in love even if the relationship is not perfect, or dancing for money - or whatever I want - without being crucified or saying I'm glamorizing abuse??????

7-B017-E8-A-A80-A-4-EBC-88-AC-19-D09-DEEF822.jpg

what when it turns out “Lennon in the back whispering in my ear” was actually about Jennies daughter and not John 

and it’s referencing a time jenny and lana were in the front seats of the car and lennon was in the back and told lana she can thrive OMG MY MIND no i’m kidding i’m going to bed now 

i just remembered that’s her daughters name from this story post  :thumb3:

3 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

7-B017-E8-A-A80-A-4-EBC-88-AC-19-D09-DEEF822.jpg

what when it turns out “Lennon in the back whispering in my ear” was actually about Jennies daughter and not John 

i just remembered that’s her daughters name from this story post  :thumb3:

:eartha: let me listen to Blue Banisters and Ocean Blvd back to back now

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.