kraljicabenzinske

The LanaBoards Book Club Revival (Currently Reading: Burnt Norton by T.S. Eliot)

it's so amazing that we're all reading the same thing, yet everyone as a different perspective and interpretation, it's so interesting to read!! :true:

34 minutes ago, MagicalTrancePotion said:

I'm still a little confused by the end of Part II.

I think the final line In my end is my beginning could be interpreted in so many ways. I saw @honeymoonwhore mention Christianity (a prominent topic in Eliot's works) so one of obvious meaning is how in Christianity the true life begins after death, i.e. going to Heaven, and that our Earth life is just a preparation for the real beginning of the life.

giphy.gif

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐜𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

This poem reminds me of Horace's Ode I. 11, and carpe diem as the whole thing. Even though their reasons are different, both Horace & Eliot tells us about nonsense of thinking about past & future. Especially the Horace's verse

The future’s no one’s affair.

sounds like something Eliot could include in Burnt Norton.

archiving any ldr-related stuff I can find (like, literally)

LANA DEL REY TRACKER

last.fm

163c956c5fc19ea25e79f89d6eec3b83.gif

3 hours ago, MagicalTrancePotion said:

I'd be really interested in reading the essay if you ever find it again.

Found it! It’s “The Unreality of Time” by J.M.E. McTaggart

giphy.gif

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐜𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

I'm getting to this a bit late but I decided to join in lol

I never realized before that the Burnt Norton interlude was from a T.S. Eliot poem so I think its really cool that Lana sampled that.

I also really like these lines: 

What might have been and what has been Point to one end, which is always present

I think the idea of possibility in these lines is really interesting, what could be, what was, always at a stand still but still moving...often I find myself struggling with making decisions, even small ones and considering the possible outcomes.

It reminds me of "The Path Not Taken" by Robert Frost too, considering whether to take the easy road that everyone else takes, or taking the less traveled path that may be more difficult but more rewarding in the end.

As for why Lana chose to include it in Honeymoon, I'm not totally sure but it makes me think that Burnt Norton, at the center may be the starting point and the first half of the album may be one path (possibly starting at Art Deco and moving backwards to Honeymoon, or starting at HM and ending at Art Deco) and the second half is the other path (Religion to DLMBM)...leaving two possible outcomes, one taken and one not

I've never really thought about Honeymoon's tracklist like that before (and I may be completely wrong lol) but I think its definitely interesting with the context of the poem :true: