Sign in to follow this  
American Whore

Songs That Clearly Rip Off Another Song

So I was driving around with my bf today and he found something on Soulseek lastnight that someone had told him to listen to. He thought it sounded like Bowie so on our way to lunch today, he played it in the car and I noticed something more intriguing... the song is called Thousands On A Raft by by Pete Brown & Piblokto! (1970) and initially when I heard it, I started singing the song it sounded even more similar to... which wasn't Bowie.

It sounds nearly identical to Brain Damage by Pink Floyd (1973). It turns out Thousands On A Raft came out three years BEFORE Floyd's record dropped. For comparison, he's the songs in question:

Adding to the OP. Some think it's also similar to Us & Them by Pink Floyd (same record) which doesn't surprise me. Also, come to think of it, both albums were released on the same label so it wouldn't be surprising to me if they did hear this album before making theirs.

Have you ever heard a song that's like this? One that's almost exactly identical? There's also the situation with Stairway To Heaven ripping off Taurus by Spirit. They don't have to be Lana or necessarily pop music either (pop music is harder to rip off anyway these days, it used to be easier to rip off more obscure songs/albums back in the 60s/70s because there was a lot of less heard of music that even now, I'm still discovering randomly.)

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

The chorus of "Can't Fight The Moonlight" sounds greatly similar to the verses of "Barbie Girl" to my ear!

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

2 minutes ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

when this band ripped off Cherry…

i wonder if they ever acknowledged it? i see someone commented about lana on their video lol

2 minutes ago, Mer said:

The chorus of "Can't Fight The Moonlight" sounds greatly similar to the verses of "Barbie Girl" to my ear!

i don't hear it (but i hate can't fight the moonlight so i'm glad there's another reason!) lol jk i really don't hear it, but maybe it's just me. the song i mentioned in the OP my bf had listened to and didn't up on it until i pointed it out lmaooo

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

4 minutes ago, American Whore said:

i wonder if they ever acknowledged it? i see someone commented about lana on their video lol

i don't hear it (but i hate can't fight the moonlight so i'm glad there's another reason!) lol jk i really don't hear it, but maybe it's just me. the song i mentioned in the OP my bf had listened to and didn't up on it until i pointed it out lmaooo

the "you can try to resist/try to hide from my kiss" sounds like the slowed down melody of "i'm a blonde bimbo girl/in a fantasy world" 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

1 minute ago, Mer said:

the "you can try to resist/try to hide from my kiss" sounds like the slowed down melody of "i'm a blonde bimbo girl/in a fantasy world" 

oooh okay, that makes more sense

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Semafori said:

the original post is so goofy. not even close to the pink floyd sound. 

try listening again

giphy.gif